TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Youtube Gaming Channels

Excellent you're making some progrss on that though. I think it's normal for conflicts to leave you revved up because the Adrenaline sticks in your system for while.

There's a funny video where Larry Lawton, the prison activist and jewel thief, is playing GTA V for the first time. Dude spent twelve years in jail and hasn't ever played games before so it's kind of funny watching him trying to figure out how the game works. The most amusing thing is realizing that he's probably better at real life heists than video game heists.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    The embedded Bed Bananas Hitman video was fantastic, the rest of the channel not so great... however, I noticed that the Hitman one is very recent, so maybe it has just hit its stride.
    Yeah, there's not a huge amount of the channel outside of him and his mates goofing off in some kinda cheap-assed SCP game (or possibly Garry's Mod mode, I have no idea), which is fun-ish, but nowhere near as good as that Hitman video.
    I hope he sticks with stuff like that, as he's obviously got talent in editing, comedic timing and manipulating the game in unexpected ways.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    12 years? That's not even missing out in the best bits. Surprised he never played a Commodore 64 / Atari 2600 / Amiga of the 80s, or dabbled in the console and or PC scene of the 90s. Some greats across both decades. Even the noughties had some greats. I'd argue that there has been less innovation in the past 10 years compared to decades prior. Not saying for a second that there hasn't been legendary games, as there sure as hell has. But there is less of things going in new directions. If anything things are more lessened, in that there is less of a broad spectrum of popular genres all at once, and more a lower amount of genres being the bulk of what's popular and being focused around.
    Dude was too busy doing crook stuff at the time I guess.

He did another. It's kind of cool seeing how excited he gets about the most mundane parts of the game. I'm almost jealous of him because I'm now too jaded on stuff like that to even care about it in a game, but he's seeing the craziness of a sandbox crime game for the first time ever feeling like a kid in a candy shop.

For what it's worth, his videos of other topics like prison experiences and his real life heists are great too. Some are very sobering material though (he survived horrific abuse in prison) so be advised his non-entertainment related topics aren't lighthearted listening.

Some time ago I accidentally found this channel:
    PatalogTV
    and loved it!

The main goal of PatalogTV channel is:
    - No comments
    - Smooth camera moving (even in action games)
    - Always hard difficulty (sometimes without getting any damage)
    - 100% (all collectibles, logs, secrets, etc)

The only cons of channel is: releasing 1-2 videos per week, but look at some video and you will understand why.

Personally sometimes I have suspicions that it's played by some robot, not human.
    Author very thoroughly preparing routes, traps, using script triggers - as result we receive not rushed, perfect walkthrough, with smooth camera moving.
    Just take a look on several walkthroughs:
    - System Shock 2 Walkthrough (Impossible, All Collectibles, No Damage)
    - Bioshock Remastered Walkthrough (Survivor, No Damage,100% Completion)
    - Prey 2017 Walkthrough (Nightmare Difficulty, All Collectibles)
    - Tomb Raider 2013 Walkthrough (100% Completion, Hard Difficulty)
    - Deus Ex series, Dishonored, Wolfenstein and much more

Currently DOOM Eternal is in progress.
    Last edited by serg_kundel; 30th Jun 2020 at 09:46.

Oh, I see! I've heard people complain about all play videos being Let's Plays, when sometimes they just want to take a look around the game without someone constantly trying to be entertaining. I guess this channel would fill that need.

Well, here's a treat! A video of The Spoony One in his element, for some reason never uploaded to his main site. It feels weird that this was only five years ago.

When he first vanished, I would occasionally go search for his Twitter account, wondering what had happened. I soon learned not to do so. It's unhealthy to have such a close, detailed look at a person's mental illness. I don't mean it's unhealthy for the mentally ill person: I mean it's unhealthy for the fans.

Thing What Kicks
    There's a new BedBananas RDR2 video which is a sort of follow up to his previous one, but now he's got his hands on mods, it's more like his HItman 2 video in terms of ambition:

That one is wonderful, Malf. Beautifully edited. And I'll never sleep again.

On the other end of the spectrum, I enjoyed this one:

It won't be for everyone: it's ruminative, verging on the poetic, it's very much about the video essayist and his own emotional reaction, but it's very much about something I enjoy in games myself, and I appreciated someone trying to put these feelings into words and succeeding better than I ever would.

IronPineapple was one Dark Souls Youtuber among many, his sense of humor good but not enough to keep my attention. However, in the past year he's started a series called "Souls-likes you've never heard of," which is fantastic. Most of these are student projects or glorified tech demos, but IP has a deft hand at highlighting them humorously. More recently, game development seems to have given up entirely on hiding its debt to Dark Souls, so now there are multiple high-budget games interspersed with the rest. Here are two examples of this video series.

Thing What Kicks
    Found another one which gives me lots of good chuckles:
    Let's game it out

Josh places an emphasis on trying to break games in really stupid and frequently amusing ways:

Well worth a watch

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh thanks for resurrecting this thread, I wanted to post something in it recently but forgot what it was called.

Digital Foundry usually just do breakdowns of how the latest games are performing but last month they got a bit more ambitious and put together this mini-doc on a couple developers making games for the Genesis.

Also, I've never been into speedrunning, but I really liked this super-nerdy video detailing the world record history of one Trackmania Nations track.

I feel like I've replied to this before, but can't see any posts from me. Maybe it was another, similar thread.
    Oh well.
    I find it really hard to describe these channels, I'll admit.

Game-related channels that I follow:

Game Maker's Toolkit
    Mentioned before, but always worth mentioning again, especially since he did a series on stealth game mechanics since thread was started.

Mandalore Gaming
    My favourite game reviewer. Tends to focus on more niche or unusual games.

Adam Millard - The Architect of Games
    Game design / analysis channel.

Mr Wendal on games
    Another small game design / analysis channel.

Tom O'Regan
    More game design / analysis, his humour is a bit over-the-top for my tastes, but some interesting things in there.

Noah Caldwell-Gervais
    Does really long, in-depth videos about games. Did I mention long? I'll admit I don't watch him all that much because 1-2 hour videos of someone talking about a game can be a bit much.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 18th Nov 2020 at 13:44.

The "Unethical Zoo" on Let's Game it Out has been the most I've laughed at a Youtube video in months, thanks Malf.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Tim Rogers just publish a nearly 3 hour review of Pac-Man.

Everything that could ever be said about Pac-Man, is said in this video. Probably. I've only watched like 25% of it yet. But what I have seen has contained anecdotes from Tim's childhood, a top ten list of best Namco game titles, and a complete list of everyone who has ever said "video games have come a long way since Pac-Man".

Also here are some videos that TTLGers would probably be interested in:

Civvie11 doing a playthrough of Thief.

Grimbeard reviewing Fallout 2.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hey speaking of da gaming yoobtoobs.

I'm enjoying the RPS Mystery Steam Review quiz show a lot. It's fun to guess along. I only got the last 2 this week.

Maybe 2021 will finally be the year I start up my stealth gaming channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Maybe 2021 will finally be the year I start up my stealth gaming channel.
    Those are hard to find.

I discovered HBomberguy's channel, which consists of media analysis and leftist rambles with a surrealist bent. The most vivid example I remember comes from the video below, in which the author emerges glistening from a canvas print of loss.jpg:

If you think this is surreal, imagine it popping up in your video recommendations one day as a video about Sonic 2 and all the comments being full of people who were incredibly confused, angry, exhilarated, and, dare I say it, at a loss. Cause that's what it was billed as when it first came out. I think it was even titled as Serious Lore Analysis: Is Sonic 2 About Capitalism? or something like that.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    Those are hard to find.
    Weirdly, I discovered another one today, which while not exclusively focussed on stealth games, certainly seems to have a preference for them. The channel is Critical Nobody, and he's got a couple of great vids reviewing all of the Hitman games and all of the Splinter Cell ones.

Beware though; they're both about an hour long!

Even weirder than the fact I've never seen the channel pop up in my recommendations until today is the fact that those videos have millions of views. Don't get me wrong; they're good videos!
    It's just weird that I've never come across the channel before given how popular it appears to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    If you think this is surreal, imagine it popping up in your video recommendations one day as a video about Sonic 2 and all the comments being full of people who were incredibly confused, angry, exhilarated, and, dare I say it, at a loss. Cause that's what it was billed as when it first came out. I think it was even titled as Serious Lore Analysis: Is Sonic 2 About Capitalism? or something like that.
    Hehheh, sounds like a good time. There's something about HBomberguy that provokes conservative viewers of a more delicate sensibility, namely those who get offended when others get offended by problematic content.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Weirdly, I discovered another one today, which while not exclusively focussed on stealth games, certainly seems to have a preference for them. The channel is Critical Nobody, and he's got a couple of great vids reviewing all of the Hitman games and all of the Splinter Cell ones...

Even weirder than the fact I've never seen the channel pop up in my recommendations until today is the fact that those videos have millions of views. Don't get me wrong; they're good videos!
    It's just weird that I've never come across the channel before given how popular it appears to be.
    Cool, I'll give it a look. And yeah, Youtube's recommendation algorithm is terrible. My best guess is that it has been thoroughly corrupted by SEO.

My latest discovery is Civvie 11, who's the closest thing I've found to a contemporary Spoony One. He does comedic, abridged playthroughs of shooters, ranging from obscure 90s-era Wolf3D clones to the current genre renaissance. He quickly endeared himself to the developers of this renaissance, and gets a callout easter egg in every new shooter as of late. His videos have an overarching MST3K-style narrative, but with a much lighter touch than either MST3K or The Spoony One... brief appearances by recurring characters, rather than painful, extended skits. Here's one of his better videos:

Here's how he handles Duke Nukem Forever:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123