TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 78

Thread: Youtube Gaming Channels

  1. #51
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2002
    Location: Maupertuis
    Quote Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
    Folding Ideas is unquestionably one of the best channels on Youtube. I particularly liked his explainer on creepy kids' animation on Youtube and how people abuse the algorithm:
    After watching that video I went and read the James Bridle article... very strange and informative, thank you! Though I was amused by the fact that all but one of Bridle's example videos had since been taken down.

  2. #52
    Taking the Death Toll
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: they/them mayhem
    Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    The thing I dont get about that is why the creepy weirdass content? Surely if this is exploitation of algorithms for increased ad revenue streams, why wouldnt you make the content as safe and kid friendly as possible? Instead of Spiderman injects stuff up pregnant elsa ass, why not spiderman and elsa take a walk in a park. Kids would watch either just as much, and the safe content would fly under the radar so much more.
    One would have to assume that at least some of it is made with malicious intent, which is fucked.
    Also, dont let your 3-4 year old kid watch youtube unsupervised
    Cultural differences probably. Most of this stuff is made by a handful of outfits in South Asia. (The live action stuff is Russian, which is a whole 'nother can of worms.) I don't think it's malicious so much as the teams working on this stuff simply have no idea that it's objectionable in the west, or at the very least they're uncaring because it brings in the money.

    It's not just kids' videos either. The phenomenon seems to have either branched off of, or developed alongside, the worrying trend of weird Frozen-themed flash games.

  3. #53
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    To touch again on the argument me and Jesh had over Boogie. He put out this video last week (which I only just watched), discussing the past few years, things he's done, about the reddit thread and how he nearly committed suicide last year:



    The suicide stuff was caused by a mix of depression + all the stuff in the reddit thread, and the online attacks on him resulting from it, and how he obsesses about negative comments about himself. I have DEFINITELY noticed him dwelling on negative comments about him across many of his videos. As a victim of bullying myself, I can certainly relate to that as I do that A LOT as well. And like him I can't switch it off either. It's just one of those mental blocks that if you experienced that as a kid then you can't switch it off. I can't despite my best efforts. Cursed for life in that respect.

    So yep, the thread has people that have cataloged everything he's said, done, going really far back, text logs of private conversations etc. Plus a heap of lies. The guys behind all that are a bunch of evil bullies that delight on the suffering of others. I believe in that so strongly, because I have encountered people like that in my own life. The fact that so many believe it all is the saddest part. And also, if you take at face value everything said by one with mental illness, then really anyone with any kind of mental illness shouldn't be allowed on the internet then, as they say and do crazy shit. That is mental illness. I've met MANY people with mental illness across my lifetime, and they have said and done bad shit, because they are fucked up mentally. Also just generally if you were able to catalog everything anyone has said, across their entire lifetime then we're all damned. Question in my mind is why those people started cataloging him in the first place, and the amount of effort and time required to do so.

    I'm not trying to restart the argument. I just didn't have a video to link to back when we were discussing it. And watching this video made me think of it. And that is the last I have to say on it.

  4. #54
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: not here
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    And that is the last I have to say on it.
    Good. Keep it that way.

  5. #55
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia

  6. #56
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2002
    Location: Maupertuis
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Good. Keep it that way.
    Hey, don't be mean.

    Broadly speaking, I've compensated for my illness by making extra effort to be rational. Or rather, by making extra effort to develop the abilities that constitute rationality. However, there's an awful lot of deranged public writing of mine out there. A person who so desired could compile it into a very damning document, simply by selection and omission.

    *shrugs* Again, I know little about Boogie, and I don't care enough to go find out more. I checked out a couple of his videos, found them decent but not compelling, then moved on to the other recommendations in this thread.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 14th May 2020 at 14:08.

  7. #57
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: not here
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    Hey, don't be mean.
    I'm not; I literally don't want to read any more apologism for bad behaviour without an ounce of critical thinking wrapped around it, because it's exhausting to read. There's times when it makes sense, and there's times when biases warp your argument, and this is very clearly a product of the latter plus not thinking very hard combined with a blind spot the size of a continent. I think you need to be able to discern when someone's arguing to justify behaviour because they relate to it and want it validated more than actually being, you know, empathetic.

    And really, don't you get enough of that in your day to day to begin with?

  8. #58
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2002
    Location: Maupertuis
    So... how about that SuperBunnyHop, eh? So far he's the only one to make it to my permanent list. Ross's Game Dungeon is great at times, but tedious at others. The embedded Bed Bananas Hitman video was fantastic, the rest of the channel not so great... however, I noticed that the Hitman one is very recent, so maybe it has just hit its stride. The others were not to my taste, or else things I'd enjoy as written work, not as videos.

  9. #59
    Level 10,000 achieved
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Finland
    Noclip has an Arkane documentary coming out next week! They'll talk about Dishonored, Prey, Arx, and Dark Messiah of course, but more excitingly they'll also be getting into the cancelled games The Crossing and LMNO.

    https://twitter.com/noclipvideo/stat...01093190316033

  10. #60
    Moderator
    Registered: Jan 2003
    Location: NeoTokyo
    I've been watching Bay Area Buggs GTAV Role Play videos recently. He's got like 500 episodes of them that are averaging like 1.5 million views apiece, and each one is entertaining at that level.

    It makes me kind of want to jump into a role play world like this, but something you can just pop in and out of without needing all the commitment and committed friends that this seems to require. But anyway, it's entertaining to watch other people at it. There is something special about (1) gaming with real people that (2) successfully manages to keep the griefers out and everybody is playing along in good faith.

  11. #61
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: not here
    Ars Technica's got this series called War Stories which invites developers to talk about some of the challenges they faced when making their games. There's one on Homeworld, one on Thief (with Paul Neurath), and a nice one with Sam Lake on Alan Wake.

  12. #62
    So yep, the thread has people that have cataloged everything he's said, done, going really far back, text logs of private conversations etc. Plus a heap of lies. The guys behind all that are a bunch of evil bullies that delight on the suffering of others. I believe in that so strongly, because I have encountered people like that in my own life. The fact that so many believe it all is the saddest part. And also, if you take at face value everything said by one with mental illness, then really anyone with any kind of mental illness shouldn't be allowed on the internet then, as they say and do crazy shit. That is mental illness. I've met MANY people with mental illness across my lifetime, and they have said and done bad shit, because they are fucked up mentally. Also just generally if you were able to catalog everything anyone has said, across their entire lifetime then we're all damned. Question in my mind is why those people started cataloging him in the first place, and the amount of effort and time required to do so.
    That's why I try to keep a distance from that "influencer" drama and refuse to watch anyone who participates in it, which unfortunately shortens my list rather dramatically.

    I get the distinct impression that a lot of "gamer influencer" culture is just high school girl social bullying tactics on steroids. It's unfortunate life never really seems to move on past high school.


    One thing I may suggest to get over bullying: work on fitness and physical training. I know it sounds vain as hell but it really does make you feel differently when you're fit, look like it, and know you look better than those people ever did.

  13. #63
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Over the past 10 years I've been exercising more often, going for long walks etc. Did try the gym for a while which I quite enjoyed, though the wife hated it, and I prefer exercising with a person rather than by just myself. So just walks from now. I also have an exercise bike at home that I really should use much more than I do.

    I've been working on issues with confrontations, as ever since the bullying I've had issues with it. I get REALLY worked up from them. After high school despite the bullying, I've never shied away from them (since I used to always stand up to the people doing it), but it leaves me in a really aggravated state afterwords which can sometimes last for hours. Been working on breathing techniques as that was one tip I read.

    As for how bullying is done nowadays, I think I prefer how it was back when I was in school (as horrible as that was) to how it is done now. Much of it now is online with fake Facebook accounts, malicious content, harassment etc. It's far worse in that regard. When I would get bullied at school, I'd escape it when I went home. With the way it's done now, you never escape it unless you avoided social media entirely.

  14. #64
    Excellent you're making some progrss on that though. I think it's normal for conflicts to leave you revved up because the Adrenaline sticks in your system for while.


    There's a funny video where Larry Lawton, the prison activist and jewel thief, is playing GTA V for the first time. Dude spent twelve years in jail and hasn't ever played games before so it's kind of funny watching him trying to figure out how the game works. The most amusing thing is realizing that he's probably better at real life heists than video game heists.


  15. #65
    Thing What Kicks
    Registered: Apr 2004
    Location: London
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    The embedded Bed Bananas Hitman video was fantastic, the rest of the channel not so great... however, I noticed that the Hitman one is very recent, so maybe it has just hit its stride.
    Yeah, there's not a huge amount of the channel outside of him and his mates goofing off in some kinda cheap-assed SCP game (or possibly Garry's Mod mode, I have no idea), which is fun-ish, but nowhere near as good as that Hitman video.
    I hope he sticks with stuff like that, as he's obviously got talent in editing, comedic timing and manipulating the game in unexpected ways.

  16. #66
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    Dude spent twelve years in jail and hasn't ever played games before
    12 years? That's not even missing out in the best bits. Surprised he never played a Commodore 64 / Atari 2600 / Amiga of the 80s, or dabbled in the console and or PC scene of the 90s. Some greats across both decades. Even the noughties had some greats. I'd argue that there has been less innovation in the past 10 years compared to decades prior. Not saying for a second that there hasn't been legendary games, as there sure as hell has. But there is less of things going in new directions. If anything things are more lessened, in that there is less of a broad spectrum of popular genres all at once, and more a lower amount of genres being the bulk of what's popular and being focused around.

  17. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    12 years? That's not even missing out in the best bits. Surprised he never played a Commodore 64 / Atari 2600 / Amiga of the 80s, or dabbled in the console and or PC scene of the 90s. Some greats across both decades. Even the noughties had some greats. I'd argue that there has been less innovation in the past 10 years compared to decades prior. Not saying for a second that there hasn't been legendary games, as there sure as hell has. But there is less of things going in new directions. If anything things are more lessened, in that there is less of a broad spectrum of popular genres all at once, and more a lower amount of genres being the bulk of what's popular and being focused around.
    Dude was too busy doing crook stuff at the time I guess.

  18. #68
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Fair enough.

  19. #69
    He did another. It's kind of cool seeing how excited he gets about the most mundane parts of the game. I'm almost jealous of him because I'm now too jaded on stuff like that to even care about it in a game, but he's seeing the craziness of a sandbox crime game for the first time ever feeling like a kid in a candy shop.

    For what it's worth, his videos of other topics like prison experiences and his real life heists are great too. Some are very sobering material though (he survived horrific abuse in prison) so be advised his non-entertainment related topics aren't lighthearted listening.


  20. #70
    New Member
    Registered: Sep 2017
    Some time ago I accidentally found this channel:
    PatalogTV
    and loved it!

    The main goal of PatalogTV channel is:
    - No comments
    - Smooth camera moving (even in action games)
    - Always hard difficulty (sometimes without getting any damage)
    - 100% (all collectibles, logs, secrets, etc)

    The only cons of channel is: releasing 1-2 videos per week, but look at some video and you will understand why.

    Personally sometimes I have suspicions that it's played by some robot, not human.
    Author very thoroughly preparing routes, traps, using script triggers - as result we receive not rushed, perfect walkthrough, with smooth camera moving.
    Just take a look on several walkthroughs:
    - System Shock 2 Walkthrough (Impossible, All Collectibles, No Damage)
    - Bioshock Remastered Walkthrough (Survivor, No Damage,100% Completion)
    - Prey 2017 Walkthrough (Nightmare Difficulty, All Collectibles)
    - Tomb Raider 2013 Walkthrough (100% Completion, Hard Difficulty)
    - Deus Ex series, Dishonored, Wolfenstein and much more

    Currently DOOM Eternal is in progress.
    Last edited by serg_kundel; 30th Jun 2020 at 08:46.

  21. #71
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2002
    Location: Maupertuis
    Oh, I see! I've heard people complain about all play videos being Let's Plays, when sometimes they just want to take a look around the game without someone constantly trying to be entertaining. I guess this channel would fill that need.

  22. #72
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2002
    Location: Maupertuis


    Well, here's a treat! A video of The Spoony One in his element, for some reason never uploaded to his main site. It feels weird that this was only five years ago.

  23. #73
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Oh man . He was one of my favorite Youtuber's for a long time.

  24. #74
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2002
    Location: Maupertuis
    When he first vanished, I would occasionally go search for his Twitter account, wondering what had happened. I soon learned not to do so. It's unhealthy to have such a close, detailed look at a person's mental illness. I don't mean it's unhealthy for the mentally ill person: I mean it's unhealthy for the fans.

  25. #75
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah I never do that. I just watch the videos they put out only. One's personal life is there own business.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •