TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Youtube Gaming Channels

Youtube Gaming Channels

I'll describe my favorite Youtube gaming channels here, and solicit recommendations. I've only found four channels to watch long-term, characterized by fewer, better-edited videos than most. I have no onus against Let's Plays, but I'm not willing to spend time on them. I also have no onus against topical channels, but I prefer to read people's opinions rather than watch them. Here's my list.

Video Game Dunkey

These videos are tiny, almost fragmentary looks at specific games. If you watched the wrong Dunkey video, or watched any Dunkey video in the wrong mood, you would think he's an idiot. However, the simplicity of his words belies a thoughtful critical stance, a broad passion for gaming, a natural sense of comedic timing, and a delightful whimsy.

Soviet Womble

There are many tightly-knit online communities, but few with their own bard. Like many other channels, Soviet composes videos from funny moments of communal gameplay. Unlike other examples of this style, the videos have a coherent emotional arc, and a sense of comedic timing not just within excerpts but between them as well. In addition, Soviet puts a great deal of craftsmanship into each video, particularly evident in his captioning.

A Jolly Wangcore

The single-player equivalent of Soviet Womble. He records Half-Life mods almost exclusively. His videos also show a high degree of craftsmanship, though not to the level of Soviet. The comedy comes from Twitch chat interactions and his own incredulity at the things that happen over the course of a mod. He also has a lovely, soothing voice.

The Kilian Experience

The most polished videos of this list. Each video forms a coherent story, and the topics range into areas other than gaming, like cooking, anime, movies and travel. The best word to describe him is "perverse." His gaming videos approach a videogame in exactly the wrong way, form a deliberately obtuse reading of its plot, and thereby poke fun at the game's self-importance and fanbase.

Honorable Mention -- Game Grumps

Mostly Let's Plays, albeit high-quality ones, so I usually get bored an hour or two in. They made it to this list because, as of late, they've used their success to fund lovely, traditionally-animated videos. Here are three recent examples.

Honorable Mention -- Zero Punctuation

These are snappy, illustrated video reviews. The creator is smart and insightful, but the videos are by their format shallow, even when they aren't mostly taken up by digressions. When I watch them, I enjoy them, but they leave a lingering bad taste.

In Memoriam -- The Spoony Experiment

The best of the pre-Youtube video creators, by a large margin, and a classic of the medium. Many of Spoony's videos are available on Youtube. The Ultima Retrospective is particularly strong work. Sadly, his struggles with mental illness left him unable to continue producing videos.

Recommendations are welcome!
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 11th Apr 2020 at 18:51.

Spoony does still make videos, though they are gaming streams only and he barely says a word in them. Very sad. He was awesome for a very long time.

I'll edit my post later with the channels I watch, as they make for the main bulk of what I watch on Youtube.

You're missing Jerma.

This was made in Windows 3D Movie Maker and has a score of 9.4 on IMDB.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    Recommendations are welcome!
    The Spiffing Brit

A British guy showcasing various exploits in a large variety of games, but lots of Paradox grand strategy games are featured as are Bethseda games. He mostly keeps the mood leaning towards silly fun while trying to be as stereotypically British as possible (Tea, The Queen and Colonialism almost always get mentioned).

Maximilian Dood (and YoVideogames)

If you're into fighting games at all, it is hard not to mention this guy. He is vastly more skilled than the majority of players even if he doesn't reach the pro players of any individual game. He's also well articulated and good at describing what he likes and doesn't like about any given game. His personal channel is about 90% fighting games and 10% "currently hot mainstream game" while YoVideogames is him and several friends doing more general gaming stuff.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah man dunkey is da good shit.

Accursed Farms - Mostly known for his "Freeman's Mind" series, but the Ross's Game Dungeon series where he reviews mostly obscure games is quality stuff as well.

Super Bunnyhop - Rarely releases anything, but when he does it's good stuff.

Grim Beard - Mostly reviews of horror games. Excellent production quality and great original music.

minimme - Makes videos about a lot of old oddities, like every Pixar's Cars game and the most graphically impressive GBA games.

Gamedev focused:

Game Maker's Toolkit - You all know about this one but what am I gonna do, not mention it?

New Frame Plus - picks apart and analyses animations in games and what makes them work/not work.

Digital Foundry - Deep dives into the graphics-systems of various games.

Bugger it, I'll put it in a new post:

Boogie2988

Not strictly games related all the time, but he does talk about it a fair bit. The guy might have many haters out there, but I'm not one of them.

Cinemassacre

One of the first gaming video shows on the internet pre-Youtube. Still excellent. AVGN is the obvious highlight, but even the James and Matt gaming Mondays show is quite good.

Game Sack

Covers more the retro and console side of things only. Quite good.

Gaming Historian

This is the "History Channel" version of a gaming channel. Some really damn interesting videos. The story of Tetris being the no.1 highlight. Tends to go for long videos.

Happy Console Gamer

Really good channel. He shows a fair bit of what's going on in his life + life experiences, as well as a mix of retro and modern console gaming. He is a MEGA old school Sega fan, which is quite rare on Youtube.

JonTron

A refined taste. Many hate him for his political views. I don't care at all about that. His videos are crazy zany, which is the charm. These days he doesn't do videos often, but you get a new one every now and then.

LGR

I love LGR's videos. They tend to be retro primarily, but he does cover new stuff on occasion. Often does videos on retro PC stuff.

Metal Jesus Rocks

Primarily retro console content, but he does cover new stuff as well. Has an extensive amount of guest hosts. Kelsee is so hot. *drools*.

Pat the NES Punk

He started out in a very similar vein to AVGN, and even did some cross channel videos with him. Nowadays he primarily does live podcast style stuff. Occasionally does new episodes in his "Flea Market Madness" series which I really like.

Pixelmusement

This channel is 100% focused on retro DOS gaming. A few times a few month he does new episodes in his "ADG" (Ancient Dos Games) series, as well as other shows. He is a game developer as well. So many of his reviews have that angle, which as a fellow indie game dev I really enjoy that.

The 8-Bit Guy

This one is truly unique. Primarily documentary style stuff on old PC tech, as well as PC tech repair of really old systems. Very fascinating stuff always.

The Game Chasers

Zany channel about old console gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    LGR

I love LGR's videos. They tend to be retro primarily, but he does cover new stuff on occasion. Often does videos on retro PC stuff.
    Forgot to mention this one, Clint (the host of LGR) is really chill to listen to even when something annoys him.

That's a large number of new channels to check out, thanks very much!

Civvie11, a mainly retro FPS focused guy. Most of it is full game walkthrough highlights mixed with criticism.
    Gmanlives, Aussie videogame reviewer. Also mostly into FPSes.
    Vinesauce, comedy game streamer. This channel is highlights from streams. It's better than it sounds.
    Tarks Gauntlet, very weeb-oriented game reviewer. Pretty reasonable takes, but more tolerant of the more indulgent side of Japanese games than I am.

Girlfriend Reviews - Not your traditional review format but by and far one of the most humorous.

Last edited by SDF121; 13th Apr 2020 at 23:00.

Ross's Game Dungeon is pretty good, although he generally does oddball games. He also did what I consider the best critiques of the first 3 Deus Ex games.

Last edited by Jason Moyer; 13th Apr 2020 at 23:22.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Game Maker's Toolkit - You all know about this one but what am I gonna do, not mention it?
    The guy who explains game mechanics as if he's talking to infants? Righto.
    https://youtu.be/gesNWgxuv8I?t=5378

Further on the topic of Mark Brown, he's a fedora-tipping white knight who got assblasted over fictional women dying.
    https://archive.fo/Ia7UR

He fedora tipped so hard that Square Enix censored away the blood in Shadow of the Tomb Raider through a patch.

It's good that even these days some things are still certain. It lends a sense of stability to things.

Oh no, a youtuber can explain things clearly and concisely and developers are making changes to their game out of their own free will because someone wrote a well-reasoned article where they voiced their opinion about something! Much evil! Very censorship! Eva, you should run as fast as you can to the "What are you making?" thread where innocent young devs are being censored so hard right now with all the suggestions they are getting to change their games -- maybe you can still save them.

Unit 2 blathered on one of my threads! This is a personal milestone of my writing here at TTLG. <3

Thing What Kicks
    Just discovered Bed Bananas thanks to one of the RPS Alyx vids, and this Hitman 2 video's great:

The only one I can stand is ZeroPunctuation. Even that's a bit old but at least if I watch a video I know it will be about the actual game and not him trying to start beef with other Youtubers as is the case dissapointingly often. The world is a negative enough place without content creators trying to start fights with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    The only one I can stand is ZeroPunctuation. Even that's a bit old but at least if I watch a video I know it will be about the actual game and not him trying to start beef with other Youtubers as is the case dissapointingly often. The world is a negative enough place without content creators trying to start fights with each other.
    Watch literally any of the channels linked here. The only person out of them starting beef constantly is Boogie2988, who I also don't like.

If you look into the situation with him, there are some people out there (on reddit mostly) who want to spread fake news and completely destroy the guy. Complete craziness.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    If you look into the situation with him, there are some people out there (on reddit mostly) who want to spread fake news and completely destroy the guy. Complete craziness.
    They seem to have their receipts in order. What's fake about it?

I'd do some research into the matter to discover the answers there.

Feels like the onus is on you there, bud.

I'm afraid your the only one that feels that way.

Chakat sex pillow
    He definitely isn't, and this isn't how this works. If you're going to claim something's fake, it's not the burden of the person asking 'how?' to provide the evidence.

Well I've always been on the side that one has to prove guilt, rather than innocence. I get that society seems to have flipped that in recent years.

I'd link the video that Boogie put up several months ago, where he went into detail on it but it's since been deleted.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast