TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: I'm trying to create a timed fire immunity and levitation potion with air control.

RandomIndividual999

I'm trying to create a timed fire immunity and levitation potion with air control.

I'm trying to create a timed fire immunity and levitation potion with air control.

I'm using Thief Gold with TFix 1.27, NewDark version 1.27 and DromEd Basic 1.14 (Beta4).

UPDATE: I've decided to try creating an object that grants fire immunity when held, removes it when dropped, and a levitation room with air control.
    Last edited by RandomIndividual999; 18th Apr 2020 at 15:17. Reason: Added detail.

You can do all three in dromed, but if you want the potion to still look like a potion, it would be better to load the file crytexd.gif from the RES\OBJ.CRF file into something like Paint Shop Pro or IRFanView and change the hue to something else. That file is in the txt16 folder of the OBJ.CRF zip file.

I did the same thing in one of my past missions except I made the immunity permanent. All you need to do is add the FireProof metaproperty to the object 'player' while in game, and then remove it later. I've forgotten how to make a self deleting metaproperty but I could figure it out tonight.

As far as renaming the potion, just edit the C:\Thief2\Strings\English (or whatever language you use) \OBJNAMES.STR file and find the Name_SpeedPotion: "Speed Potion" text. Edit the part in between the quotes to "Burn Resistance Potion" and then save the OBJNAMES.STR file. Remember to include this file in your zip file when you release the mission.

RandomIndividual999
    Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    You can do all three in dromed, but if you want the potion to still look like a potion, it would be better to load the file crytexd.gif from the RES\OBJ.CRF file into something like Paint Shop Pro or IRFanView and change the hue to something else. That file is in the txt16 folder of the OBJ.CRF zip file.

I did the same thing in one of my past missions except I made the immunity permanent. All you need to do is add the FireProof metaproperty to the object 'player' while in game, and then remove it later. I've forgotten how to make a self deleting metaproperty but I could figure it out tonight.

As far as renaming the potion, just edit the C:\Thief2\Strings\English (or whatever language you use) \OBJNAMES.STR file and find the Name_SpeedPotion: "Speed Potion" text. Edit the part in between the quotes to "Burn Resistance Potion" and then save the OBJNAMES.STR file. Remember to include this file in your zip file when you release the mission.
    Thank you kindly for sharing your knowledge, I appreciate it.

I'm afraid there doesn't appear to be a "FireProof" metaproperty, only a list of vulnerabilities.
    Last edited by RandomIndividual999; 16th Apr 2020 at 15:59. Reason: Added detail.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomIndividual999 View Post
    timed levitation potion
    That one might give you some trouble - you can change gravity, but (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think there's any way to affect Garrett's air control.

Air control is based on friction.

Base Friction: 1.00: full air control.
    Base Friction: 0.00: no air control (the default.)

RandomIndividual999
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Air control is based on friction.

Base Friction: 1.00: full air control.
    Base Friction: 0.00: no air control (the default.)
    Hello. Thank you kindly for your response.

I created a small Room Brush and added -10 Gravity to make Garrett ascend whenever he was within it. I tried adding the "1.00" value to the "Physics > Terrain > Friction" property to the Garrett avatar, but still couldn't control him while airbourne.

Please bear in mind I'm still learning how to use DromEd. Did you mean something else? Thanks.
    Last edited by RandomIndividual999; 17th Apr 2020 at 16:52. Reason: Added detail.

Base Friction under Physics -> Model -> Attributes.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomIndividual999 View Post
    Thank you kindly for sharing your knowledge, I appreciate it.

I'm afraid there doesn't appear to be a "FireProof" metaproperty, only a list of vulnerabilities.
    In the command box at the lower right hand corner type "find_obj FireProof" and it should show you object # -2257. Its under Resistances which is under Vulnerabilities.

RandomIndividual999

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Base Friction under Physics -> Model -> Attributes.
    Hello. Thank you kindly for all of your advice so far, but I still can't seem to control his movement while airbourne.

I made a video on YouTube to further illustrate what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqEGya9q8p0

I also made one of me installing DromEd while following TTLG's instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1wXr6ZD_oY
    Last edited by RandomIndividual999; 18th Apr 2020 at 11:54.

The FireProof metaprop is in the T2 gamesys but not TG. Fortunately there's nothing special about it (i.e. it doesn't use scripts unique to T2), so you can just add it yourself with this receptron:

This is the T2 location, but the main thing is that it doesn't inherit anything else (e.g. Vulnerabilities and Resistances are emtpy and just used for grouping things):

However, there's going to be more to it than just replacing the effect of the speed potion. The archetype has a script, also called SpeedPotion. This page explains what all/most of the scripts do: https://www.thiefmissions.com/tellia...ml#speedpotion

In T1/G, it just adds and metaprop and sends a message. The metaprop has another script (also mentioned in the link above) which responds to the message. Unfortunately, that script handles both the speed and the timing, so you can't just remove it and add fire invulnerability. I'm fairly sure it can be done with custom scripts, but I'm not sure if its wise to go in to that at this stage in your Dromed life or if it'll be information overload.

RandomIndividual999
    Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    The FireProof metaprop is in the T2 gamesys but not TG. Fortunately there's nothing special about it (i.e. it doesn't use scripts unique to T2), so you can just add it yourself with this receptron:

This is the T2 location, but the main thing is that it doesn't inherit anything else (e.g. Vulnerabilities and Resistances are emtpy and just used for grouping things):

However, there's going to be more to it than just replacing the effect of the speed potion. The archetype has a script, also called SpeedPotion. This page explains what all/most of the scripts do: https://www.thiefmissions.com/tellia...ml#speedpotion

In T1/G, it just adds and metaprop and sends a message. The metaprop has another script (also mentioned in the link above) which responds to the message. Unfortunately, that script handles both the speed and the timing, so you can't just remove it and add fire invulnerability. I'm fairly sure it can be done with custom scripts, but I'm not sure if its wise to go in to that at this stage in your Dromed life or if it'll be information overload.
    1. Thank you kindly for sharing your knowledge. I've never done custom scripting, so yes, perhaps you're right.

In that case, is it more simple to have an object that adds fire immunity when held by Garrett, but is removed when dropped by Garrett? If so, how would I go about doing that in Thief Gold DromEd?

2. Is it possible to give Garrett air control when levitating in a room with minus gravity? Someone advised me to try adding "1.00 Base Friction" under "Physics -> Model -> Attributes" for Garrett, but no luck. I made a YouTube video just in case I wasn't doing it properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqEGya9q8p0

Thank you.
    Last edited by RandomIndividual999; 18th Apr 2020 at 16:06.

It's been a while but I hadn't forgotten about this.

Regarding that video:
    After you created the room brush and set the gravity you then selected Portalize. That's not necessary step. Portalize handles the terrain and lighting. When changing room brushes, the necessary menu item is Build Rooms Database. But that may not be needed in this case...

When setting the base friction to 1, also set the gravity (in the Attributes property) to 0. Full air control. However, making that change in the object hierarchy makes it permanent. It's possible to have the property assigned dynamically during game when entering a room, and removed when leaving. Sorting out the trigger (and turning it off) can be done at a later date when you're more used to Dromed and the basics of triggering things.

RandomIndividual999
    Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    It's been a while but I hadn't forgotten about this.

Regarding that video:
    After you created the room brush and set the gravity you then selected Portalize. That's not necessary step. Portalize handles the terrain and lighting. When changing room brushes, the necessary menu item is Build Rooms Database. But that may not be needed in this case...

When setting the base friction to 1, also set the gravity (in the Attributes property) to 0. Full air control. However, making that change in the object hierarchy makes it permanent. It's possible to have the property assigned dynamically during game when entering a room, and removed when leaving. Sorting out the trigger (and turning it off) can be done at a later date when you're more used to Dromed and the basics of triggering things.
    Hello. Thank you kindly for getting back to me. You've been very helpful.