TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Advice on patches and upgrades to use

Advice on patches and upgrades to use

Any recommended graphical upgrades to use/not use? I get a little confused sometimes with the different options and I think my current install might be a bit haphazard about what tweaks are installed I might want to start from scratch if someone can recommend an ideal setup.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    BEAR, I made your post into a new thread in the Thief Gen forum as it didn't seem to have anything to do specifically with the FM thread you posted it in.

Well, before using mods, you should take in mind that TFix, T2Fix and Sneaky Upgrade installations already give you the option of installing some graphical upgrades. There has been a lot of debates over whether texture packs fit the games or not; I am of the opinion that manually redoing textures (barring some exceptions like the paintings, which most of them are real ones) or bumping up the resolution too much, change the perception of the games or make the low-poly structures stick out a lot more.

- If you want the most vanilla experience with TFix, you shouldn't check any boxes. I personally check T2 Water and Interactive Candles, because T1 water just looks green and opaque and I don't really see how that adds to the charm of T1, and interactive candles, while not being vanilla behavior, make a lot of sense and aren't detrimental to the stealth, since torches are way more common. The night sky in T1 is very basic, but I agree with some fans that it can add some sort of uneasiness, especially in a certain level.

- T2Fix options are either outright bugfixes or enhancements, so the only thing you should avoid is the Thief Enhancement Pack, which is a fan made texture pack despite the name.

- Thief 3/Deadly Shadows has a lot of questionable design, so I say configure the Sneaky Upgrade as you see fit.

Now, as for external enhancements, the best thing we've got now are texture and video upscaling made with AI:

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149825
    https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150188
    https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150507

You'll find that for T1 and T2, Akven offers addons with some Enhancement Pack textures. It makes some things look a bit better, but they're still handmade textures, so you may want to pass on using them. Do download the HQ Paintings Pack, though. As for the Videos packs, go for the SD version, since the games aren't able to reproduce 1080p cutscenes.

The downside of texture packs is that they make loading screens a bit longer (or just longer, as Thief 3 normally takes a while to load), so keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Taffingtaffer; 26th Apr 2020 at 12:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    BEAR, I made your post into a new thread in the Thief Gen forum as it didn't seem to have anything to do specifically with the FM thread you posted it in.
    Sorry for the confusion, I actually did mean it in relation to the FM. I noticed that the one I just finished, Feast of Pilgrims, had a notice in the thread that said "It is highly recommended you do not use the Enhancement Pack and/or HD texture packs to play this mission" so I thought I would see if there were recommendations on what graphics packs would work best or might cause issues.

@Taffingtaffer, thanks! I need to review the options and make sure I have the optimal install but I haven't noticed any major issues with how I have it set up (I don't remember 100% what I have enabled at the moment, I was in a hurry to get playing ;-) )