TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: T1 textures to T2 Dromed

T1 textures to T2 Dromed

Hello,

I wonder if there's an easier way to get T1 textures to T2 Dromed than this thread advises:
    http://www.ttlg.mobi/thief-gold-oms-...93-page-1.aspx

Another short thread said to create a custom FAM folder and to put T1 textures there and load it:
    https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148746

I don't understand all these instructions and I'd really like to get textures and maybe some monsters from T1 to T2 DromEd. If someone would have time to advise me it would be great!

That first link is confusing for what you want to achieve.

You just need to create a folder called fam inside your FM folder. Then any sub-folders of that will be texture families.

Then open fam.crf from Thief Gold/RES (crfs can be opened like zip files) and extract the families you want into your mission's fam folder.

Then you can add_family as normal in Dromed and it will load the textures.

What you won't have is any material info in Thief 2, so you'll need to ensure you have a custom gamesys, then go to the Object Hierarchy, switch to Textures, and drag and drop the textures you have used into the sub-folders for Stone, Wood etc.

Thanks for the instructions!

I created a fam folder into the folder where I have all the saved mis files from this "New Mission". Then I extracted two familiy folders into my fam folder: NewKeep and Ramirez.
    Next, I tried to add_family but no textures were found - Family not added (no textures). --> I tried adding Ramirez: Textures - Add Thief1 Family N-Z - Ramirez.

I did something wrong or maybe my folder structures are not right. The mission I'm currently creating is in a different folder than all the other FMs that are ready to be played.
    I only tried the first three steps, not that custom gamesys.

Your Fam folder would typically be placed here: C:\Thief2\Res\Fam

Each family of textures you added should be at C:\Thief2\Res\Fam\Ramirez and C:\Thief2\Res\Fam\NewKeep

In dromed in the command box type add_family newkeep and press enter. Then type add_family ramirez and press enter.

Most people AFAIK have one Thief 2 installation for designing missions and another for playing missions.

You can just make a fam folder in your dromed's root folder (like so -> https://i.imgur.com/Z3OjliL.png) and do what John is saying as the easiest way to get it done.

However, it's best to start opening your future projects using the dromed FMSel feature (putting -fm on your dromed.exe or whatever, I actually forget how to do it it's been so long). Make a mission folder in the /FMs folder in your thief 2 ROOT (again, like so -> https://i.imgur.com/nYmUMMn.png). Then within THAT new folder (in this case mine would be WorkInProgressMissionExample) put your upcoming mission's .miss/.cow (please use .cow lol) along with making a /fam folder as well and putting your custom textures in THAT /fam folder (Third time, like so -> https://i.imgur.com/QeSIGZM.png). You can save multiple .miss or .cows i just made a dummy one as an example.

This just makes it so you don't end up bloating your missions (when you eventually, or hopefully, release more down the road!) with a bunch of textures that you aren't going to use. Separates everything nice and cleanly !

This was just what I needed, clarification to where everything should be in my computer. I'm going to clean things up, since I haven't put them in a very good order.

I probably should make another Thief 2 installation (as john9818a suggested). Currently my dromed.exe is in the root file of Thief 2. What about the rest of you, do you have two T2 installations (one for playing and one for DromEd)?

I think I understood just about everything, except that DromEd FMSel feature. I haven't used it before.

I'm gonna try to make things work today and thanks again for helping a taffer!!

It's actually simple. In your dromed install just do the cam_mod.ini tweak with removing the ; in front of "fm" (like so -> https://i.imgur.com/be5VeRS.png), then whenever you run dromed.exe it will open up like it would for playing a fan mission. This is also useful to be able to look and inspect other missions for inspiration. But be careful and don't be a copycat! Remember to trust your own creativity!

Also yes, I have multiple installations. I know yandros makes a new one for every project he works on

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I have a separate installation for every FM I'm working on, but they all point to a common RES folder for the .crf files for stock resources. In each install folder I have local assets like fam and obj folders for custom resources, and those are what I add to the archive when bundling it up for testing or release.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Taffer View Post
    I probably should make another Thief 2 installation (as john9818a suggested). Currently my dromed.exe is in the root file of Thief 2. What about the rest of you, do you have two T2 installations (one for playing and one for DromEd)?
    Having separate installations for playing and one for Dromed is what I do too. For the Dromed one, I just copy the entire Thief folder to a subdirectory of my "development" folder (i.e. E:\DEV\THIEF2) and make sure INSTALL.CFG had relative paths (e.g. "." instead of "C:\THIEF2" or whatever).

I also highly recommend following Psych0sis's advice and using Dromed with FMSel. It keeps everything much cleaner, and makes packaging up your mission less fiddly. Finally, it makes simple backups of your mission easier: every day, just right click your mission's subdirectory, Send To -> Compressed Folder (or use your preferred zip tool), and rename the zip file with the date and move it into dropbox or google drive or wherever for an easy backup and version history.

Okay, thanks all for the advice! I'm gonna continue fixing these things tomorrow, since I hadn't enough free time today to test everything.

I don't have a clue why I cannot load T1 textures. All the instructions seemed straightforward and I followed them. Well, it seems I have to be content with the textures I already have available (for now).

The only thing I can suggest is to make sure you are running the dromed.exe that is in the same root Thief2 folder as the Res/Fam/whateverfamilyname is placed.

I checked that dromed.exe is in the same root T2 folder but same message again: Family not added (no textures). I tried to add Tower2 texture from T1.

I recorded a short video that should show my folders. I don't know if it helps but maybe it reveals what's wrong.

Here's the dropbox link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/um2rbxeela...-2020.mp4?dl=0

You dont have to put the base t2 textures in a fam folder inside the /FMs location, only any custom textures (in this case thief 1 textures are considered so since they're from another source)

One more thought... the two files install.cfg and darkinst.cfg... do they have the correct path that points to your res folder?

Mine looks like this:

cd_path e:\
    install_path C:\Thief2
    language english
    resname_base C:\Thief2+c:\thief2\res
    load_path C:\Thief2
    script_module_path C:\Thief2
    movie_path C:\Thief2\movies

Its not easy to see the letters in your video, but I think your resname_base should be J:\Pelit\T2 - For Dromed+J:\Pelit\T2 - For Dromed\res

Quote Originally Posted by Psych0sis View Post
    You dont have to put the base t2 textures in a fam folder inside the /FMs location, only any custom textures (in this case thief 1 textures are considered so since they're from another source)
    Okay, good to know! I just put everything there...to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    One more thought... the two files install.cfg and darkinst.cfg... do they have the correct path that points to your res folder?

Mine looks like this:

cd_path e:\
    install_path C:\Thief2
    language english
    resname_base C:\Thief2+c:\thief2\res
    load_path C:\Thief2
    script_module_path C:\Thief2
    movie_path C:\Thief2\movies

Its not easy to see the letters in your video, but I think your resname_base should be J:\Pelit\T2 - For Dromed+J:\Pelit\T2 - For Dromed\res
    I just did a search on my computer and the only install.cfg files I found were in the Thief1 folder and T2 Backup folder, but there is no install.cfg in my root T2 folder (folder that has the dromed.exe). Also there isn't install.cfg file in the root T2 folder that I use just for playing.

I assume that install.cfg file should be in both root folders --> T2 (DromEd) and T2 (for playing)?

I found darkinst.cfg file from both root folders: T2 (DromEd) and T2 (for playing). Both files (install.cfg and darkinst.cfg) look like this:

install_path .\
    language english
    resname_base .\RES\RESPATCH+.\RES
    load_path .\
    script_module_path .\
    movie_path .\MOVIES

I'll try to put right paths into those files and see if that works! Thanks!

Just now, I corrected the paths and copy pasted the missing install.cfg to the root T2 (DromEd) folder:

install_path J:\Pelit\T2 - For Dromed
    language english
    resname_base J:\Pelit\T2 - For Dromed\res
    load_path J:\Pelit\T2 - For Dromed
    script_module_path J:\Pelit\T2 - For Dromed
    movie_path J:\Pelit\T2 - For Dromed\movies

Then I opened DromEd and tried to load Tower2 texture into a new (empty) mission and now suddenly I could load the textures!

Still, for some reason I can't load Tower2 textures into the mission that I've worked with the last month. I believe one thread said something about 32 texture limit. Does this mean that I can use only 32 different textures in my mission and that's why I can't load T1 textures in my mission in progress?
    Last edited by Lord Taffer; 9th May 2020 at 05:19. Reason: information update

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Taffer View Post
    Still, for some reason I can't load Tower2 textures into the mission that I've worked with the last month. I believe one thread said something about 32 texture limit. Does this mean that I can use only 32 different textures in my mission and that's why I can't load T1 textures in my mission in progress?
    There is a limit of 32 texture families, which is not the number of textures. The upper limit of number of textures is "1024-ish":
    Quote Originally Posted by modders_notes.txt
    Max texture families: 32 (from 16)
    Max family textures: 1024-ish (from 256-ish)

You're right, I mixed up things (families and textures) and the thread actually said it right. Now, I noticed that I already have 32 families loaded (mission in progress). So, that was preventing me from uploading T1 textures. I just removed one family to test it and now I can load T1 textures - finally!

I'm glad you got it working Lord Taffer!

Thanks John and thanks to everyone else who helped me!