TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: Heist at Hilbert's Highrise Hotel (May 9, 2020)

@prjames,

Why are you mousing over to something else? just right click and hold for a few seconds-- then release and VOILA!

Spoiler

What a funny Coincidence your mission and our stephen russell episode released at the same day and you even put him in there!

Mission beaten finally in 5 hours and I collected 9940 loot, 6 secrets and 4 bonus objectives. I had fun with it. Guards aren't too hard to avoid and they aren't very sensitive, but that's good, because main gimmick in this mission is going back and forth in order to find hints to solve puzzles. There is no map, but it's not needed. Places are unique enough, so remembering what place is where is easy. Secrets are fun. I liked story a lot. Exploration was also fun, but some places necessary to visit are just harder to find than secrets (West Wing or Autumn Suite). Keys - it's good to know what key I'm using to open door, but I would prefer to have this info when I'm collecting key. Also that's one really high hotel - I got to 101 floor.

Puzzles. I think 1st puzzle to get out of Lobby floor. This is something I would never figure out on my own. And definitely there should be info how to insert code on at least Normal difficulty. And yeah, at some point I decided to restart this mission on Normal difficulty, but it only changes one sentence in info scroll. It isn't more helpful at all and the solution is really obscure. Originally I thought that later I will get more info about dots and lines and I will need to create letters or numbers for safe code to enter Penthouse. I didn't notice any console anywhere, so I didn't connect this note with entrance to Penthouse. It didn't crossed my mind that I already have everything to enter it. Also after 3 hours of gameplay figured out that I can get get to Staff Only Area. But code is somehow different. And 1 hour later I figured out what exactly opens this door. And not thanks to the note. Also it was very misleading to give me 2 items early in the game. I thought they are part of this puzzle, but they are needed at the end of mission.

Color safe was clever puzzle. I made mistake and connected note to the gems I collected in both places. I had no idea that was also connection to switches. But thanks to urgrue finally figured it out. I went to gallery and wrote order of gems, which was wrong answer. Just after that I returned to gallery and finally figured out the answer. Very clever puzzle.

Brouwer's Painting I mentioned before. It confused me a lot and there really should be info how it works. Maybe in form of diary. Because if you don't know this mission, this painting feels like it's broken element of this mission.

And there is last puzzle with 4 descriptions, which for me describe the same thing - infinity. I have no idea what's the difference in descriptions and to be honest I solved that by trial and error.

One more thing, spectacles puzzle - if you use switches for moving symbols too much. symbols get shifted and shows 2 symbols.

The rest of the puzzles is great. Some passages are creative. Atmosphere is also really good. I played on Tafferpatcher 1.25 and had no technical problems. Really good mission. Looking forward for Mission 2.
    Last edited by Galaer; 10th May 2020 at 11:38.

Glad you enjoyed it, despite some frustrations, Galaer!

It seems that Kevel's note has been a sticking point for many. Perhaps on the easiest difficulty, I'll try to make it a bit more explicit. In my mind, task 2 is very explicit about how to enter the Staff Only area: if you hold down the button it unlocks the door. But of course, it's very hard to see a puzzle you've created from an outside perspective.

Regarding the Talismans, I know you already beat it, but if you want to see the trick, try reading the plaques vertically.

And nice work with accomplishing all four bonus objectives!
    Last edited by trefoilknot; 10th May 2020 at 11:18.

Quote Originally Posted by trefoilknot View Post
    Regarding the Talismans, I know you already beat it, but if you want to see the trick, try reading the plaques vertically.
    Sigh, I can't believe I missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by trefoilknot View Post
    @prjames,

Why are you mousing over to something else? just right click and hold for a few seconds-- then release and VOILA!
    Thanks - that's what I needed, both at "Staff Only" and tapping Morse at the Penthouse.

- prjames

Ugh cant get past the gate with the reset button or unlock the other elevator. I swear Ive been all over looking for keys. I solved the multi-color safe and got the other key from the alarm button.

@ciscokidd73,

See my earlier advice for Galaer and prjames. The note to Kevel provides the info you need to proceed. You don't need more keys. Just think about your solution to getting into the Staff Only area, and see if you can apply similar logic to access the Penthouse.

ok i read the knevle letter and i could open teh staff only dorr, and i went out alle the rooms , visit the captain of the guard , but what is the next step? i used the elevator but in the upper floor i cannot open the door.

what is the next step?

@radogoal, ciscokidd73

Big hint: from Kevel's task list, the sequence is: . . _ _ . .

How might that be applied to get past the Penthouse gate?

I can't figure out the plaques puzzle yeah i could try and error but nope....I think this mission is really great but the given hints are very cryptic or I think most of the times I even don't see them as hints

Quote Originally Posted by Supremcee View Post
    I can't figure out the plaques puzzle yeah i could try and error but nope....I think this mission is really great but the given hints are very cryptic or I think most of the times I even don't see them as hints
    I failed to notice too, but on descriptions check first letters.

I can't seem to find out how to get into the Winter and spring suites, I've done everything else up until this point I believe. Even got the Aleph Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Psych0sis View Post
    I can't seem to find out how to get into the Winter and spring suites, I've done everything else up until this point I believe. Even got the Aleph Stone
    Spring Suite is available from outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    Spring Suite is available from outside.
    D'oh! I figured they would have had it with them

Still need to get into the winter suite though

Quote Originally Posted by Psych0sis View Post
    D'oh! I figured they would have had it with them

Still need to get into the winter suite though
    Check Spring Suite.

You can access the Winter Suite right after the Spring Suite

Look on the floor by the door- it seems Lady Valerius' request for quiet neighbors didn't go well...

Ah, ok.Now I just have to do stuff in each of the muse rooms, I was saving them to gather the items (i think there are items here?) all at once but it seems there's nothing in there, looking up at the sky I see shapes but I'm not quite sure how to connect that to the codex room

EDIT: NVM! I haven't been inside the codex room for a while, forgot about this sundial thing

Mission - just cool! But, I'm stuck: 1. I take the Aleph stone and the doors close. How to get out? 2. How to place four plates on the wall in the director’s office? With two buttons under each? 3. And what to do with the pictures?

Thanks, Soldi!

Your queries are all closely related. First, you need to figure out the four cubes in the office, and then perhaps you'll be able to figure out the rest.

For that puzzle:
    Small hint: Have you read the crumpled poem in Brouwer's trash can?
    Bigger hint: What do those four places look like?

Trefoilknot: first of all let me thank you for this very very nice mission. I love puzzles, I love the nice and accurate design, the atmosphere and the gameplay. Right at the start of the mission I thought "yes, this one is a high quality mission".

But for now I have 2 questions:

1) I am in the Professor's office and there are 4 cubes (or wall panels) that can be rotated with either one of the 2 buttons below each cube. Next to them is a wall safe. How am I to open this safe?

2) where do I use the morse code as hinted in the letter to Kevel? (Or where is that "gate to the penthouse" mentioned in some posts above?)

Thank you in advance for any response,
    urumo

I got the hint. I'm on my way.

And finished! This is a tough one to give an opinion on. But I'll try to convey my thoughts as best I can .

If one were to go into this mission expecting a more "traditional thief" gameplay-style, then this probably won't be to their liking. Instead, it forges onto its own style, leaning primarily upon puzzle solving to do the heavy lifting for the experience. And for that aspect alone, it succeeds in spades. No puzzle is left too cryptic, nor is any information kept away from the player, a usual misgiving in this genre of fan missions. They are all rewarding and overall very damn enjoyable to work out!

However, I can not go without saying that this mission does have some letdowns. Due to the great scale of the Hotel, a lot of the areas feel way too big and empty, and ultimately bereft of life. This also makes the traversal between rooms and floors drag on and feel a bit too dull. This problem is exacerbated due to how unevenly the guard spawns and patrols are spaced out, and even moreso again when they are taken care of. I feel that, besides from the puzzles, the gameplay aspect might not be worth bringing people back for multiple playthroughs, as this might be a one-and-done after you solve everything. With regards to the aesthetics, some rooms, most notably the suites, feel empty and barren at times and are even "too boxy" to some degree, whereas other rooms have great impressions and sucked me back in. Inconsistent quality for sure. Then the ambients... I don't know, I feel they were just way, way too fantasy for my liking. Perhaps others will like them, but they felt a bit too Harry Potter-ish, not so much in the style of the "tough and eerie" thief ambiance I've come to know and love. Then when they are clashed with the stock ambient, it just really felt awkward.

Despite all of my (possibly unnecessary) nagging, for the experience of the puzzle gameplay aspects alone I would thoroughly recommend this mission to anyone looking to just put their brain to work for a few hours. The puzzles and the enjoyment from working them out kept me engaged throughout the experience, and I feel it will keep a lot of others too.

Urumo:

1) Check post above yours for hints.

2) One of elevators will take you to Penthouse floor and to the gate. Use morse code there.

Thank you!

Now another question: how do I enter the gated room in the barred off west wing (the area where one can hear haunt whisperings) ? Is there a key to those portcullis?

urumo

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast