TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: The Violent End of Duncan Malveine (18th May 2020))

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowgrab View Post
    I've explored further, and I'm stuck on two things:

First, the King of Diamonds. This has been discussed upthread, and I've read everything related, but I still can't find it. I mean, two gravel-covered areas, OK. Those are the narrow strips below ground level, the ones with entrances to the western part of the basement. Someone mentioned that the card is not at the door connecting the gravelly area and the passageway or room behind it, but the door connecting THAT room with the rest of the basement. I've looked at both possible doors with this information in mind, and I still can't find it. Could someone give some more detailed instructions? This is driving me crazy, it's the last card I need.

Second, this relates to one possible solution of the murder mystery, and it's pretty weird - I'm not sure if it's supposed to be this way. So, in this playthrough, there is a chalk otuline in the terraced garden, and a family signet ring lying next to it. I thought the signet ring will be the main clue - whichever male descendant (the two sons and the grandson) is missing his ring, is the murderer who left it behind by accident. The problem is, I've checked, and all three of them have their rings. So I thought it's maybe a red herRING, and the one on the murder site belonged to Duncan himself. However, Duncan, laid out in state in the armor hall, ALSO has a ring! So, including Duncan, there are four people who are supposed to have a ring, and FIVE rings in total! Can anyone who encountered the same scenario shed some light on this? The other big clue I found was the autopsy report: blunt trauma to the head from behind, no struggle. The only frobbable item I could find to match the description is the Hammerite priest's hammer, but that one is clean and well-maintained, so that's not very helpful.
    King of Diamonds: From the north basement gravel yard, go inside. In that small hall between the gravel yard and the entrance hall basement, the card is behind the door.

The ring thing is a bug. The guilty party should indeed have their ring missing, but it looks like it's not set up right. I'll fix it in a patch.

I'm still struggling to find the last secret after 3 playthroughs. I have identified
    three in the Library
    two in 2 different security rooms
    a basement banner
    a coat hook
    a wardrobe next to the priest
    Theodore's wardrobe
    and a purse very high up.

Where is the last one I'm consistently missing?

The "leap of faith" was indeed dizzying - but in spite of exactly the same splash landing the objective checked only once in 3 playthroughs. Is it maybe dependent on who is the murderer - ???

Woo, finished it! Had to savescum to point the finger at the right supect due to the ring bug, but it was still satisfying. Couldn't find missive #4, I'll definitely have to go back and look for it in another playthrough after a patch comes out (and maybe the location will be posted in here by then).

Framed the lawyer, because A) lawyer, and B) he was involved in some scheme to disposses some poor people.

A technical question/bug report: at the end, after you get the messages about the accusation and the framing and you read the news extracts, what's supposed to happen? I'm just stuck in a black room and the standard Mission Complete scene never comes. Is this normal?

csamba: The missing secret is very well hidden switch in Smoking Room. Also thanks for hint about last secret I missed. I completely missed this third secret in Library.

You're getting all the bugs, Arrowgrab! That is supposed to be the end of the mission, not sure why that wouldn't be triggering. Maybe another side effect of having an unpatched osm? Not sure. The only thing you've missed at that point is the stats screen though.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    csamba: The missing secret is very well hidden switch in Smoking Room. Also thanks for hint about last secret I missed. I completely missed this third secret in Library.
    Thanks Galaer, that ceiling spotlamp is really mischiveous, reminds me of a similar trick in TPOAIR...

However, it leads to the same secret room I already visited from the Library fireplace, by climbing down the ladder, and exiting through the Smoking Room fireplace from inside, so it does not count again as a new one.
    Isn't there another secret somewhere in the basement? Maybe under the wine cellar - ?
    If you have all the 11 secrets, I'd be grateful for your list.

@Arrowgrab: for missive #4 see post #95!
    Last edited by csamba; 27th May 2020 at 09:33.

csamba: Oh, I thought that Smoking Room secret switch and Library fireplace passage are 2 different secrets. I read again your list and checked what I did in mansion. So I believe you need to move to room near Lord's Study. Another sneaky switch that opens passage to nearby Playroom.

I can't find one of the secrets in the library. Assuming there are three, as stated above.

I have two: one downstairs (the fireplace, that opens a passage leading down to the smoking room), and one upstairs (a book which opens a non-bookself panel inside which is a grate with a skeleton arm visible below).

Hint please!

Quote Originally Posted by Marbrien View Post
    I can't find one of the secrets in the library. Assuming there are three, as stated above.

I have two: one downstairs (the fireplace, that opens a passage leading down to the smoking room), and one upstairs (a book which opens a non-bookself panel inside which is a grate with a skeleton arm visible below).

Hint please!
    Check painting.

So I believe you need to move to room near Lord's Study. Another sneaky switch that opens passage to nearby Playroom.
    Isn't this Theodore's room - W of the Lord's Study - with the switch behind the L corner wardrobe? If it is, I've already got that as well.
    Do your final stats confirm 11 / 11 secrets? Then it must be something else you found but I didn't. I still suspect the grid in the wine cellar, which has a strong metallic sound when I jump on it - but there seems to be no way to open that.

Quote Originally Posted by csamba View Post
    Isn't this Theodore's room - W of the Lord's Study - with the switch behind the L corner wardrobe? If it is, I've already got that as well.
    Do your final stats confirm 11 / 11 secrets? Then it must be something else you found but I didn't. I still suspect the grid in the wine cellar, which has a strong metallic sound when I jump on it - but there seems to be no way to open that.
    No, I'm talking about unnamed room SW from Lord's Study. Secret switch opens metal grate in fireplace. It just leads to Playroom, so it's a bit pointless secret passage. Especially if you KO-ed everyone and disabled all watchers.

Finally got the last taffin card, now for the little vault

Had to resort to looking in this thread for some hints, even had to use dromed to find some of the buggers and every time it was a "How did I miss that !"

It's my first post here ever, as I only recently decided to register so... hello there, fellow thieves and taffers.

This FM is one of the rare instances I am eager to spend several hours running through already visited places (I am more of a dexterity and action oriented, not a stalker). Mansion is very nicely planned, aesthetically pleasing and really big.

In my scenario Lord Malveine died because of wolfsbane poisoning. I am suspecting the female cook, as I located dried wolfsbane in her bedroom and determined that she isn't really who she is, but this Harrison gal and her son died in some supposedly unclear circumstances involving Duncan Malveine.

However, I do have some problems though. I simply cannot locate King of Hearts, "beneath the waiter's feet" meant for me that it is located somewhere in the dining room/bar/kitchen or in the rooms below. Not a trace, but maybe I am just blind after all this searching. Would anybody give me at least slight information if I am even thinking correct or maybe even outright spoil the location? Mission is fun and all, but I am really eager to finish my first run and then try different scenario.
    Last edited by fantazm; 27th May 2020 at 10:44. Reason: I found solution to one of my questions

Hint for the king of hearts

Hardish : Some waiters can't speak

Medium : Waiters aren't always people

Blatant: : Check the dumb waiter in the kitchen

Oh my! That explains it all...

It seems I am more dumb than this dumb-waiter . Thank you, Esme. English is not my native language and in some instances my vocabulary can be lacking and I simply forgot that this "food lift" is essentially called like that. Well, I finally have all decks so... off to visit idol then ... Thank you very much again!.

Secret switch opens metal grate in fireplace.
    Understood, but this time I seem to need a stronger push (or better eyes?) to find that switch... please

Quote Originally Posted by csamba View Post
    Understood, but this time I seem to need a stronger push (or better eyes?) to find that switch... please
    Look around one of the paintings.

The initial post has now been updated with a patched version of the mission - v1.1.

This really is an excellent mission.

I find I'm still missing Gregor's ninth missive. Any nudges would be very welcome...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wroke View Post
    I find I'm still missing Gregor's ninth missive.
    Missive #9: it's in one of the prison cells.

Look around one of the paintings.
    Thanks again, I must have had a temporary blindness. Please accept the gratitude of my obsessive soul for all your help

Thanks for this very impressive mission. With some help from here, I got all the playing cards, missives and secrets, but am some 300 short of max loot.

A couple of loose ends/queries.

Several times I've tried the jump from the clock tower area into the pool in the courtyard, landing without damage, but it didn't trigger any "leap of faith" bonus objective. Is that right?

Also from the clock tower, I managed to hit both targets on the top of the two inward facing east-side towers of the courtyard. I got a "I deserve a pat on the back" remark from Garret. Is that all that happens?

Mabrien:

1) I jumped from roof above Vault into Courtyard pool and bonus objective triggered after 3 seconds from landing. It's possible you just reloading too quickly.

2) Search roofs near targets for newly spawned blue chest.

Thanks Galaer. I wasn't reloading too quickly, it's just that the jump has to be done from that place, not the clock tower. I also found the new chest.

I've also noticed a delayed KO effect with some AI, especially those who are asleep. They stand up for a few seconds after being blackjacked, then collapse.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast