TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mafia: Definitive Edition

A little OT, but is Mafia 2 worth playing after all these years? Mafia was clunky and all but I really enjoyed the atmosphere, story (nothing amazing but entertaining enough) and the variety of missions at the time. That said, I could never bring myself to replay it; I tried some time later but the gameplay just seemed so dated and cumbersome by that time. How does Mafia 2 fare by comparison? I purchased it at some stage but never played any of it.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    A little OT, but is Mafia 2 worth playing after all these years? Mafia was clunky and all but I really enjoyed the atmosphere, story (nothing amazing but entertaining enough) and the variety of missions at the time. That said, I could never bring myself to replay it; I tried some time later but the gameplay just seemed so dated and cumbersome by that time. How does Mafia 2 fare by comparison? I purchased it at some stage but never played any of it.
    Mafia 2 is great IMO. The criticisms that it received back in the day was it was basically not GTA, the open world is immersive window dressing for a linear story (as it was with the first game). The PC remaster comes with the original version too, since the remaster was farmed out to some B grade studio in the UK and reportedly has outstanding bugs + nerfed PhysX effects.

Mafia 2 is great, I played it two or three years ago and it was still a lot of fun. I feel that its story is a bit rushed though, and there's a fairly long section about halfway through the game that I never really cared about (you'll probably know what I mean when you get there), but Mafia 2 is still definitely worth checking out despite of its age.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

I've been tooling around in the Mafia 2 & 3 DLC cars and they look ridiculous! The 1960's Mustang looking car from Mafia 3 in particular sticks out like a sore thumb in the 1930's.

High refresh rate monitor fix.
    I was getting screen tearing before, now G-sync works properly.

I posted this in another thread so thought it may help others. This is a tip from Joker Productions on YouTube, it can also be used in Mafia 3 as Mafia 1 DE is using the same engine.

Seems there is a bug with the engine when running the game in full screen on monitors greater than 60Hz (144, 240 and higher)

locate your mafia executable (not the launcher executable), right-click it and go to properties, compatibility and and check the "Disable fullscreen optimisations" box, then click apply. That should fix this. It happens in Mafia 3 as well, so should work for this game.

Your executable file should be in (your drive) steamlibrary\steamapps\common\Mafia definitive edition

I've been playing the Mafia remake for three evenings now and I'm a couple of hours in, and I'm happy to say that so far it's all good! Well, almost all good. My poor computer has a hard time trying to keep the frame rate at an acceptable level, even though I've lowered the gfx settings quite a bit. Still, the game looks pretty damn good, and the new city is just glorious! There are no open world activities, but the city feels like a living place anyway with so many little details all over the place. The music isn't as good as in the original, which is a shame - the old tunes may have been annoyingly catchy, but they were such a memorable part of the game! Driving feels good and I can't wait to try some of the more powerful cars. The race was a lot of fun; I completed it in classic difficulty with realistic driving, and it was ezpz. (okay, it took me a few attempts, but it was fun indeed!)

I haven't seen much action yet, but I'm getting there. Despite of playing the original quite a few times back in the day, I can't remember the whole story that well anymore, so I'm really enjoying this.

Chakat sex pillow
    One of the things they've done with the story is make Tommy a sort of smarmy dickface, which rubbed up against my memories of him being just this confused lad tossed in the middle of all of this. I revisited the old game's cutscenes to confirm, and yeah, what immediately stands out is that ol' Thomas Angelo was probably too pure for the story they were telling. In redoing it H13 have made changes that skew things towards less ludic dissonance and more, 'yeah, these people are all dicktits who deserve what's coming to them.' It's more realistic, if not very enjoyable.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    he music isn't as good as in the original, which is a shame - the old tunes may have been annoyingly catchy, but they were such a memorable part of the game!
    The original game was pulled for sale off Steam when the licensed music rights expired. They put it back up some time later, sans licensed music. My point is the generic sounding music on the remake's radio stations is probably a bunch of public domain stuff.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I wasn't really gonna pick this up, but then I saw some videos of the wonderfully weighty vehicle handling and remembered how great the driving was in Mafia 3 and I just had to dive in. I liked the early taxi driving mission a lot and decided I wanted more of that, so I fired up Free Ride mode. The original game let you drive taxi in Free Ride, and it should be pretty easy to implement so it's a no-brainer this game would include a similar mode, right? NOPE!

Level 10,000 achieved

time for me to do a little something called "putting my money where my mouth is"

Difficulty: Hard.

Driving model: Simulation.

Here we go.

so... uh... turns out it actually is kinda hard

That's not bad for a first try! I think you need to get a fairly good start, otherwise you're just wasting your time. If you let the top three drivers or so get too far away, you haven't got much of a chance catching up anymore. If you spin or lose too much time competing against the bottom drivers, it's game over.

I really liked the race, even though it would have been even better without the scripted events. One of the drivers crashing in the first big curve is the obvious one. Also, I was in the second position on the last lap of the race, hopelessly behind the leading driver and just about ready to restart the race because I knew that there's no way that I could win the race... But in the last curve of the race the top driver "surprisingly" lost control of his car and crashed, and I cruised into a victory! Such drama! Still, I'd be happy to play a racing game if they built one around this.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah, I did eventually win, on attempt 6 or 7. Really, you just have to play it like a proper racing game, braking in time and doing clean lines. Really, if you think about it, it's pretty... ez.

Chakat sex pillow
    Sorry, but I'm here to roleplay a questionably characterised protagonist making questionable choices that end up with a lot questionable shooting. In the grand scheme of all that, questionable racing can go do one. (Also, I played that on Classic mode three times before I said fuck it, which I think adds even more sadism to it.)

Finally got into a proper gunfight, and I was delighted to see that it has a similar feel that the original did. Moving around still feels a bit awkward, especially in smaller rooms, and switching from one cover to another isn't as lightning quick as in other action games. But when the bullets start flying, damn... things get very intense! I love the fact that you can't just go all Rambo on your enemies (at least not in Classic difficulty) when they can kill you in one shot in the worst case, and there's no regenerating health either. The original Mafia may have been a bit unfair with the difficulty occasionally, but so far that hasn't been the case in the definitive edition. The checkpoints are much more generous too, which is shame in a way, but I can live with that. The guns in the game may not be very imaginative, but I actually like it that way, and not being able to carry a huge arsenal of guns and ammunition makes for some tactical gameplay.

Chakat sex pillow
    You do get a sliver of regenerating health when you're down to your last legs in Classic, so it's still calibrated to be less unfun than Mafia 1's design. What really makes the whole enterprise enjoyable is the modern-day graphics, they went all out in doing this right.

An aside: I was wondering how the reflections in the game seemed pretty accurate most of the time, usually when looking at car roofs and seeing the surroundings reflecting off them even if the buildings weren't in the camera's view (which meant they were doing something that wasn't purely screenspace reflections). Turns out they've got an ingenious screenspace raytracing solution, and that's the kind of clever trick raster rendering would have gone with en masse if the industry weren't pivoting to brute forcing a solution via ray-tracing. It's not perfect, but just the fact that it's there, subtly making the world look better without the devs needing to tell you about it via an nvidia programme or whatever, is the kind of thing that deserves kudos and respect IMO. (And Digital Foundry continues to be one of the few places invested in digging out these details for the general public, for which I'm always thankful.)

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    An aside: I was wondering how the reflections in the game seemed pretty accurate most of the time, usually when looking at car roofs and seeing the surroundings reflecting off them even if the buildings weren't in the camera's view (which meant they were doing something that wasn't purely screenspace reflections). Turns out they've got an ingenious screenspace raytracing solution, and that's the kind of clever trick raster rendering would have gone with en masse if the industry weren't pivoting to brute forcing a solution via ray-tracing. It's not perfect, but just the fact that it's there, subtly making the world look better without the devs needing to tell you about it via an nvidia programme or whatever, is the kind of thing that deserves kudos and respect IMO. (And Digital Foundry continues to be one of the few places invested in digging out these details for the general public, for which I'm always thankful.)
    Meanwhile Mafia 3 has broken reflections in mirrors that were never fixed. Definitely gives vibes that the Czech teams probably worked on Mafia 1 remake, rather than Southern Californians.

Hangar 13 is an American video game developer based in Novato, California, in the area of the former Hamilton Air Force Base. Established with Haden Blackman in December 2014 as a division of 2K (a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive), the company's debut game was Mafia III, released in October 2016. In 2017, 2K Czech was merged into Hangar 13, wherefore the studio received two additional studios in Brno and Prague; another studio was opened in Brighton in 2018.
    Contents

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Meanwhile Mafia 3 has broken reflections in mirrors that were never fixed. Definitely gives vibes that the Czech teams probably worked on Mafia 1 remake, rather than Southern Californians.
    No, that's almost certainly by design. Almost every game this generation with SSR doesn't do full frontal (er) reflections with flat mirrors on walls, because they'd be reflecting a flipped image of what you're seeing (i.e., your character's back). The only solution outside of ray-tracing and its hybrid here (which invalidates the need for SSR to begin with) is the old standby of the mirror actually rendering a second, flipped version of the entire scene - which their polygon budget probably doesn't allow for. That's why if you're not seeing a foggy, indistinct mirror in most games, then the solution is a lower resolution version to compensate - that's why RDR 2's mirror reflections, for example, look so pixelated.

Level 10,000 achieved
    This game feels like an inverse of Mafia 3 in a lot of ways. Mafia 3 had a solid open-world but very barebones and repetetive mission design. Mafia DE is all missions, and very good and varied ones, but the open world is cordoned off as a separate thing from the main game.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    The 1960's Mustang looking car from Mafia 3 in particular sticks out like a sore thumb in the 1930's.
    Yeeeees. I mean it's a lot of fun to drive, but I wish they would've kept it restrained to the Free Ride mode. When it just shows up in Tommy's garage it's quite immersion-breaking.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The bikes are appropriately weighty and wobbly too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    You do get a sliver of regenerating health when you're down to your last legs in Classic, so it's still calibrated to be less unfun than Mafia 1's design.
    Yeah, I noticed that, but I can accept regenerating health in this case, and I think it's actually an improvement over the original! Now when you're almost dead, you know that the next shot will almost certainly kill you, but you still have a chance of staying alive. (ah-ha-ha-ha, stayin' alive!) It's the overly generous checkpoints that make the remake a much easier game. And speaking of checkpoints, I don't like it how the game restarts right in the middle of the action when you die.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    The bikes are appropriately weighty and wobbly too.
    They really nailed the driving in the remake, both for cars and bikes, didn't they? I always stubbornly defended the sluggish cars that you got in the beginning of original Mafia, because ordinary cars of that era simply had to be crap like that, right? Well, the remake shows that old cars can still act like old cars, but they can still be a lot of fun to drive!

And just like EvaUnit and henke, I do wonder what the devs were thinking of when they decided to make the two cars from Mafia 2 and Mafia 3 available in the story mode?!

Level 10,000 achieved
    The latest update added taxi driving in Free Ride!

The game is good now.

That passenger has nerves of steel.

I do not remember taxis going that fast in Mafia.

Level 10,000 achieved
    There's (at least) 2 types of taxi. That's the fast one.

Oh btw here's the patchnotes:

Custom HUD Options
    Use these new options to customize the in-game HUD if, for example, you want to make your explorations of Lost Heaven feel less guided or take a particularly pleasing screenshot:
    - Switch the in-world main objective marker on/off.
    - Switch mini-map enemy markers on/off on all difficulty settings. (Previously enemy markers were always on outside of Classic Mode.)
    - Switch navigation features like turn-by-turn instructions and the mini-map GPS on/off.
    - Enable the new Minimal HUD mode to hide HUD elements including the mini-map, the speedometer, and objective text while playing.

Noir Mode
    Enable Noir Mode to enjoy Mafia: Definitive Edition's gameplay and cinematics with a vintage black-and-white look. Noir Mode can be toggled on and off via the game options screen.

Free Ride Content
    Now that you're off to the races and enjoying Free Ride mode, depending on which vehicle you're driving and where you're driving it, you might find one of a couple new gameplay features that we've added to the mode. We'll leave the specifics for you to discover and hope you fare well in Lost Heaven.
    So it hints at 2 new features in Free Ride. Haven't found the other one yet.

Now that you're off to the races and enjoying Free Ride mode, depending on which vehicle you're driving and where you're driving it
    Sounds like a hint that there are 'impromptu' races to be found?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Finished the singleplayer.

Y'know, I'm gonna go ahead and say this the best Mafia game yet. All the previous entries have been compelling but flawed in some way, but this one is just about as perfect as it can be. Keeps the slick shootin' and driving of Mafia 3, but improves on it with an engaging story and mission variety. There's some nice character moments too, I particularly liked Paulie's scenes towards the end.

Think I've done most of the Free Ride missions as well. Might only have the UFO one left, so I'm gonna finish that up, drive some more taxi, and see if I can find anything else out there.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Look away if you don't want spoilers because here's the true ending of the game that you only get if you complete the Free Ride missions!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast