TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Making mission less crisp looking

Making mission less crisp looking

Has anyone ever tried using a very very light fog setting on every room brush, both indoor and outdoor, just for the effect of "blending" ? You know how Bob Ross uses a large brush after making his edge where land and water meet? He take the brush and lightly brushes side to side to blend it.

I was wondering what the look would be like; if it would be a nice effect for an almost imperceptible haze....

It sounds dumb, but you could achieve this by enabling texture filtering and dropping the resolution. That way, you can tweak how blurry you want it, and it applies to every mission!

With the vignette effect that Thief fog has, the 'blending' would be inconsistent depending on how you angled the camera. I imagine it would be more distracting than immersive.

I always use fog in all rooms. Just have different fog and ambient light settings for outdoor and indoor. I like using black fog at ~100 units for indoors. Gives it a smoky, grimy, shadowy feel.

Ah this sounds exactly like what I had in mind. I'll check out your settings in one of your missions. Thanks nicked.

Hey, I've only ever looked at one FM in FMSel, then I put it back. I took the semicolon from a line in some cfg file if I remember. What line was that, again?

Code:
    ; fm
    in cam_mod.ini

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    Code:
    ; fm
    in cam_mod.ini
    Isn't that one just to play FM's? Which line lets you open missions in Dromed through FMSel?

It’s the same. FMsel works for dromed too.

I have a slightly off-topic question: do hi-rez textures really impact one's experience? Does anyone with hi-rez monitors notice the difference between standard textures and hi-rez ones?

It's a matter of taste. For me and many - yes higher res textures do make a difference, especially if they're good texture-wise and not just being simply twice as large. But there are many purists among Thief fans, who would play the game specifically low-res, even with texture filtering off (square texels), so you can't really please everyone. Go for what your heart tells you.

It can be jarring to see super high res textures right next to Thief's own 64x64 ones, but that's not to say they shouldn't be used, just be thoughtful about where you apply them.
    There's a separate issue with HD texture mods, which is what people are often talking about when they mean they don't like high-res textures. The problem is that those mods are designed with the OMs in mind, so while they might look good in the main game they lead to bizarre results when applied to FMs. I got curious and looked around my own mission with an HD mod installed and it was basically a gallery of texture alignment, scale, and rotation errors. But that's not something you can really worry about as an author since it's peoples' choice to install mods.

Even in OMs the HD mods usually end up obliterating the original aesthetics and mood of some areas, and elsewhere most of the time they are 256x256 textures replacing 64x64 ones, so the issues of alignment, scale and rotation schlock pointed out are very prominent. Unfortunately it is the player's decision to use them or not, so just design how you feel and put a note to use/not use them if you really care about people experiencing your mission the way you created it.

With regards to FMs that use custom textures, it is usually is a lot better as the issues of alignment etc. are accounted for since they're used from the start, not swapped in later on. The only issues I ever have with custom textures in FMs is when authors rely on them as a crutch, thinking they are objectively better than some of the originals and must absolutely use them everywhere (often bloating the file size). Another issue is similar to the OM issue I brought up in that some of them just do not fit in well with the thief universe (or at least my idea of it, again this is all ultimately subjective), as sometimes they look too much like clay, and a lot of times they are a little too realistic. It's hit and miss, but I won't outright lambaste a mission for simply just using them, as they can really be used quite well if done right.

Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    Itís the same. FMsel works for dromed too.

I must be missing something pretty obvious. How do you choose to look at the mission through Dromed through FMSel, rather than play it

once you use dromed.exe it'll open up a mission select screen like it does with FMSel, just choose the one you want to look at, it'll install it and then run it through the same screen (basically its exactly like playing an fm)

D'oy..... hit Dromed.exe first. Wow. I can't believe I didn't try that. As I said, as a feeble excuse, on my windows 7 comp a year ago was the one and only time I looked at an FM through FMSel.

Thanks, vfig and Psy.....