TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How much do you use the compass while playing a single mission in Thief?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Constantly, or almost constantly

5 9.80%
  • Many times

8 15.69%
  • Quite often

12 23.53%
  • Rarely

17 33.33%
  • Never

9 17.65%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often do you use the compass?

Not in a maze but when the map says Garrett's place is in the SW of Ambush (or whichever corner of the map it is in), then you know that heading in a generally NE direction is unlikely to bear fruit

Quote Originally Posted by FenPhoenix View Post
    I use the compass as a "meta" tool constantly.

Its main uses in this direction are as follows:
    <SNIP of lengthy detailed points>
    I think Fen has earned his PhD in Thief!

In general, I use the compass more than Rarely but less than Quite Often (which to me sounds about the same as Many Times), so if instead it was Sometimes I would've had a valid selection.

I also use it as Fen uses it. It's pretty much the first thing I do when loading a mission. But I also use it for direction. When I was playing The Violent Death of Duncan Malveine recently, I used it all the time to orientate myself. If there's no map included then it's just for deselection and 'instantly reset to a known point in the inventory'.

Unless there are hind that direct you to say “the south side of the city” or something like that, I never look at the compass.

I do look at good maps often and I am not fussy about the orientation of the map (which way faces north).

bbb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12