TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Underrated.

Thi4f has a few problems:
    - Victorian style. It looks good but Thief takes place in a pseudo-medieval world, you can't change the style just like that without any explanation.
    - Multiple, confusing, often hard to navigate city hubs thanks to the 512 megs of ram on consoles.
    - Garrett can jump only in certain places, can shoot rope arrow only in certain places, and can't swim - these are downgrades, of a game from 1998.
    - The mental asylum chapter is basically 'Lets make Outlast in Thief'.
    - Garrett looks like a skinny and scared goth dwarf.

I didn't hate this game and I felt like the devs had really tried, but ultimately failed to deliver. The missions were engaging enough, but it felt like a poor man's Dishonored without the powers - who and why would want to play that?

Quote Originally Posted by zajazd View Post
    - Victorian style. It looks good but Thief takes place in a pseudo-medieval world, you can't change the style just like that without any explanation.
    Why not? It's a reboot. Everything allowed.

- Multiple, confusing, often hard to navigate city hubs thanks to the 512 megs of ram on consoles.
    I didn't find them hard to navigate. Even though some parts were a bit too narrow and twisted indeed, especially when you get to the later city parts. But, all in all, I found them quite decent. I didn't like the opening of windows though, and that you never know if you don't enter another part of the city hub which needs loading.

- Garrett can jump only in certain places, can shoot rope arrow only in certain places, and can't swim - these are downgrades, of a game from 1998.
    Yes, I think that has been pointed out lots of times, and I agree with it. The movements are limiting compared to the originals. Kind of a plague in general of nowadays games though. I really hate Assassins Creed, for example, because the character ALWAYS wants to climb the highest skyscraper, when I just want him to run...

- The mental asylum chapter is basically 'Lets make Outlast in Thief'.
    I rather thought it was comparable with the Cradle in Thief 3.

- Garrett looks like a skinny and scared goth dwarf.
    Yeah, I also dislike his and the other character's look. They didn't have the best hand there. Basso also looks like a fat dumb redneck.

I didn't hate this game and I felt like the devs had really tried, but ultimately failed to deliver. The missions were engaging enough, but it felt like a poor man's Dishonored without the powers - who and why would want to play that?
    Because it wasn't bad at all. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by chk772 View Post
    I rather thought it was comparable with the Cradle in Thief 3.
    Comparable? Yep. Comes anywhere close to? Nope.

Maybe, but, that wasn't the question.

The missions were engaging enough, but it felt like a poor man's Dishonored without the powers - who and why would want to play that?
    Someone who wants to play a pretty decent stealth game maybe? There aren't exactly too many games like this out there, and even with its many flaws Thi4f is still an enjoyable game. Also, I quite like that it's a "Dishonored without the powers" - Dishonored is more fun as an action game, but Thief does stealth better in my opinion. Gimme swoop over blink any day.

It called Thief Tomi not Thi4f. :3
    And its not rly a Thief game. You dont need to steal anything to complete the game. x3

And stealth? Mh not rly you can beat any enemy by buttonsmashing and you are never forced to sneak around (ghosting) o:

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett TMT View Post
    It called Thief Tomi not Thi4f. :3
    I know, the "Thi4f" thing became a bit of a joke when the game was announced, and this was the logo that they chose to use:

Gr8 logo, eh?

And its not rly a Thief game. You dont need to steal anything to complete the game.
    You do steal a lot of stuff though. Too much, if you ask me! All those damn cutleries lying around in strangest of places...

And stealth? Mh not rly you can beat any enemy by buttonsmashing and you are never forced to sneak around (ghosting) o:
    Forced stealth is never a good thing in my opinion. My biggest gripe with the old Thief games has always been that things are fun as long as you remain undetected, but the "fail state" results in some tedious gameplay that is far from fun. In most cases the most fun option is to just hit the quickload button, which is a shame. The "new" Thief handles this a little bit better, I think, but it isn't exactly perfect either. I can't remember the melee combat being that easy though?

I had the game literally gifted to me from Square Enix, and I still haven't gotten the motivation to play it yet. I really like the art direction in screenshots and videos though.

It doesn't have modding tools, but I learned recently that Kingdom Come has great modding tools, which I thought was great news, since it's such an awesomely realized medieval world. Of course there's also Dark Mod. It's still getting updated, still looking great, and still a fantastic platform for FMs.

At least this game was much more fun than Thief 3 which in that Garrett would love to stuck in the air every 30 minutes.(That game also had the worst ragdoll physics I've ever seen in a video game.)

Also, good story is just a bonus in video game not necessary. So Thief 4 having inferior story isn't important since you can just skip it.(As whole good novels and good movies have better stories than the best stories in video games.)

Thief 4 sold less copies than Dishonored because Dishonored also appeals to the gamers that love to kill everyone on site.(As whole Thief 4 failed because of this that pure stealth genre AAA games died in early 2010s.)

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
    Thief 4 sold less copies than Dishonored because Dishonored also appeals to the gamers that love to kill everyone on site.
    And because it was bad. You seem to keep forgetting that detail. So forgetful!

Oh no no no no no -- it was the fault of a small number of ultrapurists who could never be satisfied by a sequel to their beloved game and therefore talked smack about it on TTLG and convinced everyone else to dislike it too, somehow. That and the reduced attention span of the new generation of gamers who just can't handle complex and cerebral games like the Thief reboot with its labyrinthine maps and fiendishly difficult puzzles. Yeah, let's go with that.

Moderator and Priest
    Though to their credit, Thief 4 did bore the everliving hell out of me. I was well aware of the drama surrounding it, but I otherwise went into it with no expectations beyond knowing that I loved Thief 1 & 2, found Thief 3 to be pretty okay, and thinking that more Thief wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Maybe it's due to possibly not being in the mood for that particular type of game at that particular moment in time, but I was already feeling the mehs an hour in. Didn't stick around much longer after that.

...though I'm always up for more Dishonored, the similar, albeit more boombastic cousin to the Thief series, so maybe T4 really wasn't all that good.

Conversely, I liked Thief 4 a lot more than Dishonored 2 even though it was the inferior product by most measures.

Moderator and Priest
    Recursively conversely, I thought Dishonored 2 was the absolute bee's knee.

So I guess you must like bad writing and repetitive trial-and-error gameplay then??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12