TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: 3dstobin no longer works if path has spaces, maybe

3dstobin no longer works if path has spaces, maybe

3dstobin 2.19 and 2.20 seem to no longer works if I have spaces in my folder names, on WIN10. Fresh INI file and copied over fresh files.

Is anyone else having this issue? It's so strange!

At first I thought it was special characters, or capital characters. Didn't matter. Then I though folder length but I tested side by side loading a 3ds in a test folder once with a space in name, and once without. The folder without a space loads!

Last3ds=U:\spaceinthename\1du.3ds (works)
    Last3ds=U:\space in the name\1du.3ds (doesn't work)

Get this, this only happens if it's on my Storage drive U, but that's where my projects are stored. C drive works even with spaces:

Last3ds=C:\space in the name\1du.3ds (works)
    Last3ds=U:\space in the name\1du.3ds (doesn't work)

Anyone have any ideas?

I guess you could try putting the paths in quotes?
    Or create a junction point to the folder on your C:\ drive and access the files through there.

Thank you NV, I'm happy you are still here in the community.

A question; where would I put the path in quotes? You mean edit the INI as a concept test?
    Okay
    1. I failed out a attempt to open, closed 3dstobin
    2. Went back to INI and put quotes around target and saved ini.

3. Opened 3dstobin.

It still fails, and reverts the INI back when Notepad++ says it's been edited, so refreshed.

I've never made a junction point to folder, I will google how, and report back. I wonder though, what mechanism cares about spaces if on another drive.

To that end, I moved a instance of 3dstobin to U drive, with it's LGS tools dependencies, deleted INI, set it up again, and still didn't work. Although I didn't try having thief2 exe also on the U drive. I guess I wouldn't mind the Dev Install of thief2 on my U drive inside the very project folder. Will try that as well. If that still doesn't work, then the only ties left to the C drive is the VB components it uses in wow64.

Edit1: Moved the Dev Install of thief2 to U drive, it got worse. Still won't open space name folders on U, but now won't open space name folders on C drive. Will still try junction thing.
    Edit2: wow won't open even non space named folders on U this way. I'm at a lost. Known good 3ds models, as opened on non spaced name folder before.
    Last edited by gamophyte; 10th Jun 2020 at 11:48.

Going through the JP failed as well.

INI:
    Last3ds=C:\T2 FM - BD WIP LINK\Objects\Anywhere - Cube Hacks\1DU.3ds

It isn't the dashes, I've always used those, but just in case I tested on a real folder on C, and it worked...
    INI:
    Last3ds=C:\test - dash\Anywhere - Cube Hacks\1DU.3ds

So odd..... I guess I'm stuck with having a dumping folder on C drive where I save 3ds to just before converting to bin. It's annoying not to then copy back to my project folders for backup everytime, but I'm very happy about the tool. I couldn't do this project at all without it.

I mean, you could do that... or you could use _ instead of spaces?

If you need to have spaces in your directory (folder) names and you have the short naming still enabled, try this: U:\spacei~1\1du.3ds

John, what do you mean with short naming enabled? Where do I disable?

I don't call up the file, I'm using the tool to hit open. I basically found a bug, if there is another drive letter, it cannot have folder names with spaces to open the file, I guess basically. I can name the folder "a b" with just two letters in the root of the drive and it fails.

Typically the hard drive's file system has short file names that are compatible with the old DOS naming scheme i.e. 8 character name, a "." and a 3 character extension. If you type CMD in the box at the bottom of your screen, then type DIR /X it will show if any the 8.3 file names/folders along with the usual stats.

Initially I was thinking of n3ds2e and etobin. Those are run on the command prompt, and I had forgotten 3ds to bin.

I just tried 3ds to bin and it worked for me with a folder with spaces, but then again I was using 2.17.

To disable 8.3 click on this but there's not much reason I can see to disable it.