TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Screen art and racism

El Shagmeister
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    Mr. Duck! We are better than the US!
    <3

On the other-other hand, reserves are often places of crushing poverty where basic housing, water and food are at third world levels and diseases which are extinct in European populations, still ravage the inhabitants.

this is happening in Australia as well, and even though the government and charities spend millions of dollars on this issue, nothing changes, and its not the indigenous communities fault either. So where is all this money really going?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    How can we expect to take down war criminals if we can't even take down the statues celebrating war criminals? You're claiming that we can't do the former because we're doing the latter instead, but I think it's more likely that we can't accomplish the former unless we can first accomplish the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    I don't think taking an episode of Fawlty Towers offline is the first step on the path of getting GW Bush or Kissinger to the ICC in The Hague. I also don't think it will prevent an innocent African-American being shot by a policeman next week or next month.

Again, I'm not against some/most of the stuff that's happening. I'm just stating that there is a lot of fluff action and a lot of noise, and it's not really gonna change much. Too much focus on words and things that are not the core of the problem. It risks people polarizing more.
    No, you're not against it, just complaining loudly about it. Also nice of you to reframe Pyrian's argument as something else in order to rebut it.

Let's hope Trump will lose the next elections. At least then all the current events will have lead to something concrete.
    Biden is the least bad out of a horrible choice. Trump needs to lose, but Biden will at best try to return to pre-Trump policy. That's not good enough. Let's not do it.

Oh, and Fawlty Towers is going back up soon, so all of that was moot.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    Oh, and Fawlty Towers is going back up soon, so all of that was moot.
    No. The way I see this, people who called the BBC's action bullshit, were correct. And the BBC has now agreed with that.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 13th Jun 2020 at 07:41.

Not good enough ? There is a choice: Trump or Biden. If Biden is not good enough, what do you suggest ? 4 More years of Trump ?
    That was a jab at your logic that any action that doesn't deliver us into blissful utopia isn't worth it. You will reply of course that that's not how you feel, and then struggle to find an actual reason to keep statues of horrible people up in public. Something about "focus" or "energy spent" probably. Spare me.

If I see bullshit, I call it bullshit. Normally I stay out of these discussions. But this is a discussion-board, so I decided to post. I don't agree with everything Icemann was saying, but he was attacked a bit unfairly, imho.
    Here, again, a reframe. I wasn't talking about icemann. You are so far and comfortably up your own ass that you can't even recall what daylight looks like.
    You say you're more left than most and then proceed to spend a lot of your forum time trashing the most significant left-wing movement in decades.
    You say you want the Kissingers of the world locked up but mostly shout from the rooftops that slavers shouldn't have their statues torn down and that it's all political correctness run rampant.
    Maybe you are an activist in real life, but you sure aren't online.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Language is fluid. It's constantly changing. Terms that were formerly acceptable are not anymore.
    Interestingly only the terms that refer to disadvantaged groups keep on declining. In German there's a whole row of once acceptable/honorific titles for women that are now considered inappropriate. [wiki].
    Meanwhile terms that refer to men did not decline in their honourable meaning.

I think as these groups struggle for acceptance and redefinition of themselves, they (and others) come up with new names, to distinguish them from their older more oppressed generation and group identity.
    While it may have been fine for uncle Tom to call him a "nigger" (or at least he had bigger problems), he was still oppressed. And his children who gained some more freedom therefore opposed that term and arrived at "colored". And their children etc.
    I'm just saying this to make it understandable why some groups keep coming up with new names for themselves and why it's important to them and why a Kartoffel like myself would be courteous to use them, even if it can be a bit annoying.
    Of course the usual rules of language development still apply. The main one being that speech efficiency beats any language politics. Talking is hard work! So no double renamings within the same generation and keep it short and simple. (Or at least fun, habibi.)

well , nice to see racism gets some old worms out of the woodwork

LittleFlower
    All you do, Jeshibu, is put words in my mouth. Stuff I have never said. Probably because you don't see the nuance. (Example, I have never said *anything* negative about BLM. I just don't see the point of tearing down a statue of Churchill. I do support their effort of getting whole police departments fired. That's gonna turn out in a huge mess. But it might actually achieve something). Anyway, I'm done with your aggressive style. Bye bye.

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    well , nice to see racism gets some old worms out of the woodwork
    I came here because icemann is a friend and he talked about how bad he felt, both about how he was treated and how he had acted himself. But all I heard was "There's a huge flaming pile of shit on TTLG!" So I immediately coptered in to drop my load.

Also I was promised screen art.

Thank you Kolya. Appreciated immensely .

And as I was asked elsewhere to include this (as I uncovered it in my research for one of the terms in commonplace in my country that I alluded to earlier):
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ia.andrewclark

Gives much context, and covers the origins of the slang word in question, it's use elsewhere vs it's common use here.
    Last edited by icemann; 13th Jun 2020 at 12:04.

Who would have thought, shit really is different down there. Probably because you're all descended of scallywags.

And now: Screen art.
    Attached Thumbnails 15920653148890.jpg  

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Thank you Kolya. Appreciated immensely .

And as I was asked elsewhere to include this (as I uncovered it in my research for one of the terms in commonplace in my country that I alluded to earlier):
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ia.andrewclark

Gives much context, and covers the origins of the slang word in question, it's use elsewhere vs it's common use here.
    From your article: 'Some time during the 80s, the word was adopted as a badge of pride by the people to whom it referred - in the same way that, say, "queer" has been reclaimed by the gay community - which took the offensive sting out of it.'

It's not like we haven't already spoken about it. If the work to defang the term was up to the people who were called it, you don't get to prop it up as an example of non-racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    Biden is the least bad out of a horrible choice. Trump needs to lose, but Biden will at best try to return to pre-Trump policy. That's not good enough. Let's not do it.
    There's a Gordian Knot of a sentence. How does Trump lose without Biden winning? Or did you mean, let's not let the Dems squander a victory by sustaining a corporatist agenda. Apparently holding their feet to the fire with protests and activism is a good start but re-electing Trump to spite Biden would be disasterous.

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    this is happening in Australia as well, and even though the government and charities spend millions of dollars on this issue, nothing changes, and its not the indigenous communities fault either. So where is all this money really going?
    Many reasons for that here. The offered funds are insufficient and/or targeted at the wrong solutions. Communities are so isolated that even simple solutions are multiples more expensive than they should be. Relocating these communities, even if they were established as part of the "gentle genocide", is seen as a cultural imposition. There are four "stolen generations" of abuse survivors and their collective suffering is being passed to their children, as evidenced by sickening rates of child suicide in indigenous people. Many adults in these communities are simply overwhelmed by challenges that residential schools denied them the skills to tackle. The symptoms of this abuse creates the conditions that are used to perpetuate the stereotype of the "lazy Indian", and justifying calls to stop "throwing money" at the problem.

It doesn't help that the imposed system of elected chiefs and councils is even more susceptible to corruption than the one which imposed it. Outside oversight is seen as imperialism and a lot of money never gets to the people who need it most.

It's a real Gordian Knot.

There's a Gordian Knot of a sentence. How does Trump lose without Biden winning? Or did you mean, let's not let the Dems squander a victory by sustaining a corporatist agenda. Apparently holding their feet to the fire with protests and activism is a good start but re-electing Trump to spite Biden would be disasterous.
    It was a poke at Gryzemuis. I'm out of practicality in favor of Biden winning.
    I'm not sure that a Biden victory would be a good thing long-term, since it's a message to the DNC that people WILL swallow their shit and like it. Obviously a Trump win is disastrous for the next 4 years and probably much longer than that (Ginsburg will probably die sometime soon and Trump would get to replace her). Basically I think that the first-past-the-post delegates system has forced a choice between a steaming turd and a manure pit.
    Obviously voting for the turd is the right thing to do in this situation. My "that's not good enough - let's not do it" remark was a jab at Gryzemuis.

TL;DR: yes, agreed.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    And now: Screen art.
    This offends me.

It doesn't help that the imposed system of elected chiefs and councils is even more susceptible to corruption than the one which imposed it. Outside oversight is seen as imperialism and a lot of money never gets to the people who need it most.

It's a real Gordian Knot

It’s not complicated. You punish Racism so hard that people never want to be racist ever again.

Chakat sex pillow
    If we give him a gr8 b8 m8 award, do you think he'll go away?

Moderator and Priest
    Maybe we should just start agreeing with him so he'll think his totally not at all stupid sociopolitical experiment was a complete success.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    If we give him a gr8 b8 m8 award, do you think he'll go away?
    I say leave him to it. Watching someone who thinks they are really smart playing what they think is 4D chess is adorable.

[EDIT]I'd bet good money that he's making weekly reports of his master plan to subvert libs in some dark incel-infested corner of 4Chan.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    [EDIT]I'd bet good money that he's making weekly reports of his master plan to subvert libs in some dark incel-infested corner of 4Chan.
    Not sure if you're aware, but he outright said in one of the political threads that he posts hyperbolically pro-liberal stuff on Facebook groups to test if anybody will disagree with or counter him. Then concludes that because nobody does so, they're all insulated nutters and not just, y'know, people who don't want to engage with crazy/bait.

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    Not sure if you're aware, but he outright said in one of the political threads that he posts hyperbolically pro-liberal stuff on Facebook groups to test if anybody will disagree with or counter him. Then concludes that because nobody does so, they're all insulated nutters and not just, y'know, people who don't want to engage with crazy/bait.
    Whatever. What I was was a fundamental truth and not radical.

Also yes, 4-chan is totally worried about a forum with like ten dudes who regularly post on political stuff. TTLG is a huge hub of political influence worth infiltrating with those ten dudes!

Maybe you could embellish that part a bit?

here I will do it for him

my hats off to the genius who made this

also I am up for infiltrating 10 dudes

The Infiltrator, cos 10 dudes cant be wrong!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast