TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast

Thread: Synthesizers (and other pro audio stuff)

verbose douchebag
    I am kind of wondering if it might make sense for me to replace my Prophet 6 with one of these:

If I had a P5 or P6 I don't think I'd bother. Unless you really need that tiny bit of extra modulation.

Those Buchla 200 reissues look amazing. I'll have to keep an eye out for that Source Of Uncertainty module.

The spiritual successor to the old Waldorf Microwave sounds so good:

There's something about the PPG waves through that filter that hits a sweet spot for me. If they ever release a keyboard version I'm snagging it and the Hydra will get the boot.

verbose douchebag
    I use a controller keyboard for most of my playing once I have patched dialled in, so swapping olut the P6 for the Take 5 might make sense to reduce footprint a bit and free up some cashmoney for something else.
    Not a decision I'd make rashly though.

I guess this is becoming the TTLG Superbooth thread.

This just made the Super 6 a very intriguing possibility for me (space is tight): https://youtu.be/Fvt8HxnFc5c

Always, Sonic State seems to be the place to go for good Superbooth content.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I am kind of wondering if it might make sense for me to replace my Prophet 6 with one of these:
    Iíve seen lots of comments saying the Take 5 doesnít sound as good as the P5 or 6. Truthfully I havenít spent much time around any of these instruments, and Iím not really hearing a lot of difference,so Iím curious what you think. With the Minilogue, for example, I always thought ďthis sounds as good as any poly synthĒ and over time realized that over time it actually doesnít, in ways that I couldnít articulate at the time (still love it tho!) I donít want to buy a Take 5 and then realize I shouldíve just saved up and bit the bullet for the P5 or P6.

verbose douchebag
    Good points.
    Another thing to consider is that while I do love the P6, I tend to reach for VSTs for the most part when writing, as they sound almost as good once I've added the usual saturation and EQ in Ableton.
    The main benefit of the P6 is that I tend to play with it more, so there is more love in the sounds, whereas the wavetable sounds I make tend to be more functional (I need a synth bass or pad / string sound etc), so the P6 patches tend to have better happy accident potential.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Always, Sonic State seems to be the place to go.
    Fixed! Seriously, though, you should come hang out on YT chat or IRC during the weekly SonicTalk podcasts, it's a good time.
    Last edited by Jason Moyer; 17th Sep 2021 at 00:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    I’ve seen lots of comments saying the Take 5 doesn’t sound as good as the P5 or 6.
    The guy from Valhalla DSP who makes all those fantastic reverb algorithms has the new P10 as well as a P6 and the Take 5, and he says that for the types of patches he makes the Take 5 sounds virtually identical to the P10, with the primary (sonic) differences being that the filter is resonance compensated (the P5/10 filters lose a little bass, albeit not as much as a Moog ladder filter) and that you can drive the filter a lot harder (although, again, not as hard as you can drive the filter in the Grandmother or Matriarch). Obviously the oscillators are a little different (for my money I'd rather have a modern Rossum-designed VCO than a CEM3340) and there's more modulation + the digital effects.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Fixed! Seriously, though, you should come hang out on YT chat or IRC during the weekly SonicTalk podcasts, it's a good time.
    If I can find time around work / kids, I will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    The guy from Valhalla DSP who makes all those fantastic reverb algorithms has the new P10 as well as a P6 and the Take 5, and he says that for the types of patches he makes the Take 5 sounds virtually identical to the P10, with the primary (sonic) differences being that the filter is resonance compensated (the P5/10 filters lose a little bass, albeit not as much as a Moog ladder filter) and that you can drive the filter a lot harder (although, again, not as hard as you can drive the filter in the Grandmother or Matriarch). Obviously the oscillators are a little different (for my money I'd rather have a modern Rossum-designed VCO than a CEM3340) and there's more modulation + the digital effects.
    I like Sean Costello and would trust his ears (I use his reverbs almost exclusively). I admit I'm a little confused by people saying the T5 sounds harsh, makes me think they're hearing something I'm not. Like, it's a sawtooth wave; of course it's harsh. Try turning the filter down??

This thing sounds so good.

verbose douchebag
    I am really digging this synth.

UNG

verbose douchebag
    I just installed the demo - it's pretty fun!

Me too. I think I was talking about this before. I'm a mad fan for Zachtronic games to begin with, so this is an easy sell.

I was independently thinking about this recently. If I were going out make a game or thing out of this kind of concept, I'd want to play up the mystical side of synthing, like some kind of mystical order emerging from the depths of chaos, where it still has a logic to it, but one that transcends human understanding, but still taps into this deep emotional or spiritual level with the sounds that come out. Buchla had that kind of vision, and today Vlad Kreimer and the Soma team, and some others try to toy with the idea.

Speaking of Zachtronics, Opus Magnum, the Zachtronic game, tries to connect the logical puzzle & mysticism sides in his kind of puzzle world. It succeeds as a Zachtronic game, but I wouldn't say it really succeeded connecting it to mysticism any more than as window dressing. Cultist Simulator succeeds connecting a game with mysticism (IMO), but it doesn't really have the logical puzzle side of the equation. I feel like there's a concept that puts it all together, the synthing, patching, logic, and mysticism, but it hasn't been quite put together in the right way just yet.

Anyway, this game looks great for what it is, so that's just an aside of this other thing I've been thinking about recently.

Ung

verbose douchebag
    Well now.

Nice. I sat in the store and played one today for about an hour, and in spite of me giving myself permission in advance to buy one (ďlifeís too short!Ē) I ended up not. I suppose I still might, but it didnít grab me like I was expecting. I mostly just thumbed through presets, which were fine, but when I tried to modify the sounds or design my own, I found it surprisingly unintuitive trying to understand what was modulating what. Of course that would change with practice. lt did make me wish my Minilogue had one extra voice and the full-size keybed. And the overall build quality felt excellent. I think I was hoping for something a little weirder, a little less pristine.*

*still might buy one

If you want something that can get weird and also do vintage/pleasing sounds I'd get a Pro 3 instead of a poly. It integrates really well with modular as an added bonus since it has a gate out and 4 cv ins and outs. If that's too much synth for your needs, there's always the Microfreak. I think the hook with the T5 is that it's a compact "budget" poly that sounds phenomenal rather than a thing for making weird sounds. Then again when I was playing it in the shop I started from an init patch and played with the on-panel VCO2->VCO1 FM and modulating one of the DSP tape delays and the salesguy came running over looking super confused.

Speaking of weird sounds, I still haven't cancelled my Minikorg preorder. I think it's kind of expensive for what it is, but it's a really odd synth even for a 70's mono with the ring modulation and PWM stuff plus that amazing filter. I wish this chip shortage would end because it's delaying the announcement of the new PGH instruments, one of which is an updated/enhanced VRL, and they're still king for me when it comes to synthesizing sounds I've never heard before. The tweaks they made to the wavefolding in their primary oscillator for the VRL allows it to do things I've never seen in an analog oscillator.
    Last edited by Jason Moyer; 26th Sep 2021 at 11:50.

Truthfully I'm a little confused about what I actually want. Despite being a relatively proficient piano player (I have grade 8 RCM from way back in the day), I always feel uneasy playing poly synths, like I don't know what to do with them. But I want a tool for writing ambient music that has a more composed, harmonic quality rather than just making drones with texture. So maybe a Take 5 is overkill for that because I'm almost certainly not going to be using it for most of the pop/jazz/funk sounds Sequentials are famous for. The T5 does sound pristine compared to the Minilogue, which is both good and bad in that I'm getting a little tired of the Minilogue's veiled, indistinct character, but I also kind of appreciate it in that it's one poly synth that absolutely doesn't sound like software, which I can't quite say about the T5. And also, in spite of being cheap for what it is, it's still a lot of money, that I've been keeping aside for maybe upgrading my old laptop, which might be a more productive use. I dunno.

Anyway, be sure to record some sounds for us to further fuel my indecision.

I love the original Minilogue (and the Mono/Pro16). The things I like that the T5 does differently is having a resonance-compensated filter (not accurate to a P5, but nice), more modulation options, and effects that can be messed with in the mod matrix. In terms of pure tone and "analogness", I think the Korg synths are massively underrated. I also really like the Minilogue's delay circuit, which is apparently a PT2399 digital delay, so while it's not BBD it's crunchy and lo-fi as hell. If I hadn't gone all mid-life crisis buying synths in 2019 I think I would have settled on an OG Minilogue and a Moog Grandmother as my main keyboards.

Ha, I didn't realize it was a PT2399; that's what's in all kinds of trendy gear like the Strega and Field Kit, and everyone loves it there. I'm not surprised, though. The Minilogue delay is indeed very noisy, but it does add character. In any case, I should know by now that buying a new synthesizer has literally never made me more productive (except for maybe my very first one), so I think I'm gonna simmer on the Take 5 for a while and see how I feel about it in a little while.

This is the best review of it so far.

I've made a couple sounds so far. One with the poly LFO modulating the filter at audio rate and the other using the LFO's and the phaser to make a Polymoogy kind of warbling pad sound.

https://soundcloud.com/jason_moyer/t5-filterfm
    https://soundcloud.com/jason_moyer/t5-pad80

Agreed; that's a great review. And those are some nice patches. There's a lot of depth to the sound.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast