TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Synthesizers (and other pro audio stuff)

https://soundcloud.com/darryl-25/melody
    well heres mine. I went for an arpeggiator style thing then added some random octave shifts and a delay to try and create some polyrhythms. Didnt turn out aswell as I wanted but so be it.

For a Krell patch I'm going to need to figure out how attenuators / attenuverters (or whatever else does the job) contains the pitch signal to within maybe a 2 or 3 octave range. Right now it's got way too many high and low pitch squeals and growls, and a bandpass filter isn't the way to fix it. I want it to proportionally fit the whole output within a specific range, not just cut off the top and bottom.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    https://soundcloud.com/darryl-25/melody
    well heres mine. I went for an arpeggiator style thing then added some random octave shifts and a delay to try and create some polyrhythms. Didnt turn out aswell as I wanted but so be it.
    There are moments when all of the notes collide just right in there which make me think of chiptune music.

Haha, well you wanted a Krell patch next, so you're getting a Krell patch next. You're welcome.

what in the world is a krell patch

A krell patch is a thing synth nerds love to talk about. You try and make the sounds of the Krell aliens from Forbidden Planet. Typically you try and get the synth to play itself to make random bleeps and bloops that have different pitches and lengths and never repeat.

verbose douchebag
    Would it be cheating if I used function generators in Ableton to mess with parameters on the P6?

Generative thoughts:

faetal, at first I found yours a bit brash, but I listened to the whole thing and was pretty hypnotized by it by the end. Pig, I like the vibe on yours and the tone, just needed a beat imo to tie it together.

Here's mine: https://soundcloud.com/dimedancing/j.../s-7openh3ceRe

The single bass note rhythm is generated by summing four square LFOs at different rates (and two of their corresponding sine waves open and close VCAs for the melody lines). For the melody I'm using the Ornament and Crime quantizers (it has four of them) set to locrian. One quantizer controls the oscillator playing the melody using a Turing Machine algorithm as its CV source, (the Turing Machine is module by Tom Whitwell, that creates random melodies constrained to certain notes). Using the TM makes generative melodies almost too easy, but I don't have enough switches and dividers and whatever else (or the knowledge to use them) to do it the old-school way. A second quantizer also using another instance of the Turing Machine sends pitch to a self-oscillating filter, which is that high-pitched tone Everything goes into low-pass gates, which are possibly my favourite thing about modular synths, and then onto the delay, which is tempo synced. I also had the 0-Coast in there sending random voltages to the quantizer, but in hindsight I'm not sure it was actually doing anything. It's a bit of a messy patch that doesn't have enough rhythmic variation, but I kinda like the sound.
    Last edited by Aja; 9th Jul 2020 at 14:01.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Would it be cheating if I used function generators in Ableton to mess with parameters on the P6?
    Not sure if you're asking me, but I don't think it's possible to cheat here.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Haha, well you wanted a Krell patch next, so you're getting a Krell patch next. You're welcome.

This is great, excellent Krell. Now just run it into a giant reverb chamber for that authentic sci-fi sound.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    faetal, at first I found yours a bit brash, but I listened to the whole thing and was pretty hypnotized by it by the end.
    Yes, on repeat listen, I do feel like it could have done with maybe dialing the LPF back a bit to make it less harpsichordy.

Very nice. Has a slight Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross vibe to it.

locrian
    You monster.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post

Nice! I'm not sure how I am going to stick to using the Prophet for the Krell, so either I skip it, get better acquainted with VCV, or see if I can jury rig Ableton's CV tools to mess about with the P6 via midi.

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    You monster.
    Usually I just leave it in Dorian, but O&C has like three dozen scales, including weird ones like "Gamalan" and "13of22tETgen=5", so I figured I'd try something different. Locrian seems to harmonize nicely with itself.

I know next to nothing about synthesizers, I recognize the name Behringer because we have an impressive looking Behringer mixing panel in my church (that I wouldn't know how to operate, I'm sitting in the next chair operating the laptop putting images on the projection screen). But I like the drone sounds you guys made, listening to droning ambient music relaxes me. Aja, yours reminds me of the System Shock 2 menu drone, and Piglick, yours would be suitable in a Blade Runner movie.

Thanks, Harvester!

If we ever get to it, synthesizing a scream, which actually makes me pretty uncomfortable:

verbose douchebag
    Yeah, that's great and unsettling.

Thanks for a creative, constructive thread! It's inspirational and gave me a reason to start learning VCV Rack. With a reputation to uphold, I am of course a little late, but I haven't thought about bells this much since... the accident (just kidding; there have been no bell-related accidents in my life -- until now), so I might as well post what I came up with:
    https://soundcloud.com/qlyrkz/bell-a.../s-hHD7ia7jZug

I tried a bunch of stuff and instead of trying to explain what I did, here's a screenshot (video isn't fully working yet):

Could be better, but it's really time to move on now.

verbose douchebag
    That's a great bell!

That is great. Very clean and realistic.

One reason your video may not be working is you've set the audio output to ASIO, which recording software often doesn't have access to. If you set it to direct sound to come out of your speakers/earphones, then the recording software can capture it.

Yes, an excellent bell.

I worked on a krell patch today and it’s all right, but I might tweak it a bit. I tried to stay within my eurorack, but I don’t have a random source, so I had to tap into the 0-Coast. Will record and post later.

I tried a few things, but finding the krell patch idea really difficult, so I might sit this one out.

Here's mine, finally https://soundcloud.com/dimedancing/krell/s-fQAKxDRTWTr

Kinda got ridiculous, trying to modulate every parameter I could. I'm really enjoying this contest. It's forcing me to focus and think more clearly about how to synthesize things, trying to create sounds that I normally wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    I tried a few things, but finding the krell patch idea really difficult, so I might sit this one out.
    If you don't have the random voltage source, I don't know how you'd do it. I tried for a while and couldn't make it work. As you can see from my picture, the only one I had was in the 0-Coast, which is why it's sitting there at the bottom doing one job.

I like yours very ambient in nature, actually very gamey, like soundtrack playing something like Subnautica.

Is it cheating to use a drone patch I made before this thread? The synth is a Pro 3, the patch is basically an LFO scanning through an inaudible wavetable that's frequency modulating a triangle wave on one of the analog VCO's, then the second VCO is a square an octave below with some vibrato, all going through the 24db ladder filter with a reverse saw LFO simultaneously increasing the amount of tuned feedback and closing the filter. And then a tiny bit of the onboard plate reverb. Oh, and the entire recording is holding one note, middle C IIRC.

https://soundcloud.com/jason_moyer/pro-3-noise

Mayhap I'll do one on the Poly D. Using it for a Krell patch is a no-go since there's no way to open or modulate the VCA on a Minimoog aside from the dedicated EG.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast