TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Life of the Party - Getting Outside Map

Life of the Party - Getting Outside Map

While considering whether to build a T2 mission, I am playing T2. In playing LOTP, I was on the first floor of Angelwatch and there was a locked double door on the first floor. No key opened the door not did lockpicks, so I threw the Sunburst Device (explosive charge) against the doors and shot a fire arrow to ignite. It blew the door open and when I went outside, I realized from the architecture (or lack of) this was an area outside of where the designers meant the player to go.

In FM's, if there is a way to get outside the designed map area, some player will usually find it. Each mission I made, my testers found ways outside the map, but I like to think of LGS as perfect and was surprised to get outside the mission area.

Thought others may find this interesting.

bbb

ps: LOTP is still the best of the original missions in my opinion.

I'm not a mapmaker, but as a player, I have a suggestion: avoid using real doors to nowhere, use just textured wall. It'll help in two different ways. First: no door -- no problem. Second: it'll help players to understand that this door is entirely for aesthetic purposes and they won't spend their time trying to open it.

Time to dig up a link from many, many years ago: Azal's Thief 2 Guide to the Strange and Unusual wherein you'll find a treasure-trove of things to try to get into odd places in the OMs, as well as things you've probably never noticed. Plus, there's the possibly seminal tutorial for [http://www.greywool.com/azal/Tutoria...atoring/]Flare Elevatoring[/url] on there.

In "Life of the Party", the player gets an objective not to walk around in the streets. This is why the player is not supposed to walk out of the main entrance to Angelwatch. If one runs around in the streets beyond these double doors long enough, the mission will usually fail, with the appropriate objective marked as "failed". However, it can sometimes take a while until the check for the player being on the streets kicks in and the mission fails. So yes, the developers never thought the player would walk around here.

Indeed, they should have made it clearer that these double doors should not be opened, and they should have also made certain that the doors could not be opened.

The developers also did not think the player would go down successfully in other places. If you grab a body or a crate, and then drop down from whatever height onto the streets below, throwing down the body or crate just before hitting the bottom, you may also survive the fall and briefly walk around in the "forbidden area". Near the start, you may even succeed in walking a short way along the streets at the bottom, reaching a place where the street ends in empty air at the boundaries of the level.

On the other hand, if you know details about a game engines quirks and "oversights", you can quite often go where you are not supposed to be, do things that were not mentioned to be done, and so on. It is almost impossible to find and remove all of these quirks - the method of surviving a fall by "crate abuse" mentioned above is such a quirk.

Sometimes, we just have to live with these little inconsistencies of a game's world and physics.

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    the method of surviving a fall by "crate abuse" mentioned above is such a quirk.
    I once played a big FM where using this bug was a part of gameplay. There was a place where you can get only by using this "quirk".

Watcher, thanks for that link. I never knew about Azalís Guide. I will take a looks. As an author, I am always interested in quirky situations.

I actually did walk around for a while waiting for the mission to fail but in my case it didít.

Thanks
    bbb

They probably used the room brushes outside to trigger the fail, but beyond that double door you would have to find a portion of a fail room brush extending into the forbidden area behind the doors and enter that room brush before the mission fails.

Quote Originally Posted by bbb View Post
    I actually did walk around for a while waiting for the mission to fail but in my case it didít.
    So, you failed to fail, eh? What a failure!

You've always been able to walk the streets around Angelwatch without the mission failing. May be something Jax64 should look at addressing in T2Fix?

*Edit*

Just checked, you can walk around freely where the doors are, but will fail the mission if you reach ground level anywhere else around the building. Maybe they had issues with the player failing the mission if you reached the ground floor inside the building?