TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 58

Thread: Cancel Culture and the Rise of the False Claims

  1. #26
    Taking the Death Toll
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: they/them mayhem
    Quote Originally Posted by nbohr1more View Post
    100's of piles of neatly arranged bricks conveniently available for the George Floyd protests, does this trouble you?
    Doesn't it look too organized?
    of course it does, because the cops did it. and when they didn't do it, it was far right goons like the proud boys. this is what they do, this is all they do, the alt-right has been doing little ops like these for years

    you really are in the tank for Big Tinfoil, ain'tcha

  2. #27
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: not here
    Good god. deth, do not engage with nbohr, for the love of sanity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Yeah, that's absolutely fucked then. What a scumbag.
    Eh. Even if for whatever reason you want to say that's made up, there's plenty of stories popping up that his behaviour has been scumbag-like for years. I doubt this is some conspiracy where multiple women needed a soft target -- I mean, you're free to believe what you want. As far as I'm concerned, there's merit in examining these women's claims first, and it's not like Avellone's denied them. What's the upshot of all this? He's not just a scumbag, he's possibly a terrible person. And it's not like this trend is anything new. So many of my favourite artists have turned out to be assholes these days, I'm this close to writing a song titled, 'All My Heroes Are Roman Polanski'.

  3. #28
    Taking the Death Toll
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: they/them mayhem
    There's a lot of people I probably shouldn't engage with, but as much as I've tried to work on my self improvement, sometimes I just can't help myself. I have to touch the poop.


  4. #29
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2010
    Location: A Former Forest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    ... I would think "The Monsters on Maple Street" would be a good Twilight Zone for you bjack.
    ...
    Yes, that is another apt episode. Spot on. There are terrible people out there, some that are in in power. There are good people that are hampered by evil people and unjust laws. This is the world in which we live. It has been this way since the dawn of time and will continue far into the future. I choose not be be part of the evil. I try my best and hope that I am not missing the mark. That is all I can do against the overwhelming forces of nature and will.

    It is silly of me to post here again. I cannot covey my message effectively via this medium. Too much is lost. I am not fighting, I am reflecting and frankly crying out loud for the human race.

    I want evil dicks to be punished. I want evil women that trap men to have to answer too. I want people that beat gay people brought to justice. I want those that are racist on all sides to chill out. Unfortunately, I think al I will hear is “OK Boomer!”

    Sad really. We almost had something really great going. It almost happened. At least that is my perspective. I am probably very wrong. I am sorry.

  5. #30
    Member
    Registered: Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
    of course it does, because the cops did it. and when they didn't do it, it was far right goons like the proud boys. this is what they do, this is all they do, the alt-right has been doing little ops like these for years

    you really are in the tank for Big Tinfoil, ain'tcha
    How are you certain that "the cops did it" or the "alt right did it"?

    That is the problem.

    A proper examination of this question starts with:

    What is the paper trail? Who paid for this?

    Given that there are multiple documented cases of "Jussie Smollet" style fake racism where Left Wing students paint swastikas on their own dorm rooms
    and given that the DNC paid a provocateur Bob Creamer to fake violence at right-wing events, why should we believe that these things were right-wing actions?

    What is that thing that would solve all this?

    EVIDENCE!!!

    Who has it?

    The NSA....

    Why isn't the conversation about THAT? Why aren't NEWS AGENCIES saying "there is a growing chorus in the nation to gain access to known details about
    the events around the BLM protests, many are asking why the Whitehouse hasn't gathered and declassified the NSA collections around these events to identify
    possible left-wing or right-wing provocateurs".

    Nope, it's all "opinion pieces" about the presumed perpetrators all written to be highly partisan.

    Pretty convenient for an election year...

  6. #31
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    wait, so CHOP isnt referring to House of Pancakes?
    Communist (International) House of Pancakes?

  7. #32
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjack View Post
    Yes, that is another apt episode. Spot on. There are terrible people out there, some that are in in power. There are good people that are hampered by evil people and unjust laws. This is the world in which we live. It has been this way since the dawn of time and will continue far into the future. I choose not be be part of the evil. I try my best and hope that I am not missing the mark. That is all I can do against the overwhelming forces of nature and will.

    It is silly of me to post here again. I cannot covey my message effectively via this medium. Too much is lost. I am not fighting, I am reflecting and frankly crying out loud for the human race.

    I want evil dicks to be punished. I want evil women that trap men to have to answer too. I want people that beat gay people brought to justice. I want those that are racist on all sides to chill out. Unfortunately, I think al I will hear is “OK Boomer!”

    Sad really. We almost had something really great going. It almost happened. At least that is my perspective. I am probably very wrong. I am sorry.
    Ummmm... the point of "The Monsters on Maple Street" was not to see monsters everywhere. You seem to have taken the opposite meaning from it. Listen to everyone and figure out who is pushing hate. If you need to listen to nobody for awhile just to let your mind rest. Nothing wrong in that. I will say you have been listening to too many asshole conservatives though. Take a step back from them and try to understand why folks are tired of brutality. A lot of the paranoia is coming from the right, some of it made by them to spur hatred, don't fall for that. Listen to those who are trying to reach you and not control the way you think.

  8. #33
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Quote Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
    so-called "cancel culture" isn't real. it's not a thing. it's a meme.
    Really?

    Isn't this just the no platforming writ even larger by social media mobs?

    JK Rowling is getting a rough ride on twitter at the moment for her, admittedly skating on thin ice, views.

    There have been a number of speakers who have been "cancelled" at universities, haven't there.

    And remember this:




    As to the rise of false claims - I've posted about this before. It may be the minority of claims, but it's definitely real. And a crazy aspect to it is people are upset with the UK police for asking for mobile phone data as part of their evidence gathering. This is predicated on some cases where an accuser (of rape, no less) has been proved to be lying scum when their messaging records have been examined.

    The law is very uneven at the moment, definitely biased against men who can have lives ruined even when found innocent. I'm all for the pursuit of prosecutions as long as both parties are kept anonymous until a guilty verdict, and then of course only the perp's ID should be revealed.

    But tying this in with "cancel culture" is the big hoo haa over things like Aziz Anasari's date, where he was just a bad date. You wouldn't think that from the response though. That type of internet mob mentality is so dumb.

    The new thing is accusations surrounding BLM. It's almost impossible to discuss facts about it without some SJW coming out with some ridiculous strawman.

  9. #34
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    The law is very uneven at the moment, definitely biased against men
    Really?

    That's why most sexual offenders are never convicted? Why most women don't even bother trying to report it?
    Why known and even self-admitted offenders hold some of the highest positions in our society?

    In fact, why movements like #MeToo exists in the first place?


    And yet the law is clearly biased against men. Riiight.

  10. #35
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2001
    Location: Somewhere
    so i guess the real takeway is "dont be a dickish asshole" is that so fucking hard to grok? For example the Aziz thing, did he break any laws? No. Was he seemingly an entitled dick, yes. Thats it, thats all it is. Treat people nicely, unless they are coming at you with an axe or something, fucking jeffrey epstein man

    I'm a fairly handsome middle aged white dude, the odds are stacked in my favor, and also stacked in my pants. There aint no bias, its just the pendulum swinging back.

  11. #36
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Christ this place is a cesspool. Thank you so much to dethtoll and tocky for actually having your heads on straight. This thread should not exist.

    I mean, really, icemann... didn't you already stir up enough garbage with your miserable decline and rise thread? That wasn't enough for you? I don't think you're a malicious troll like eva or tony - I think you're just clueless, albeit in a very loud and vocal fashion. Please, just stop.
    Last edited by froghawk; 6th Jul 2020 at 09:10.

  12. #37
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Ireland
    To be fair, we should all learn to stop replying to these.

  13. #38
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Yeah, but if we don't reply to them, they turn into a circle jerk of altright nutjobs. I don't know which is worse. Just observe this thread before dethtoll stepped in. I certainly don't want to associate with a forum where ideas like this go unchallenged. I also don't want this thread to grow to the size of the last one. It's a lose/lose.
    Last edited by froghawk; 6th Jul 2020 at 09:17.

  14. #39
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Ireland
    I'd much rather associate with a forum where ideas like this don't crop up in the first place.

  15. #40
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Exactly what I'm saying. But I don't know how realistic that is given the rampant toxicity of modern gaming communities.

  16. #41
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: not here
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    To be fair, we should all learn to stop replying to these.
    Valid point. I didn't step in because this thread was going to be another shitshow, and I'm done challenging dickish views in threads that were born of painful ignorance like this one.

    JM's bit about Chris Avellone though is a good topic to discuss, I thought, since it would lead to a discussion on whether we should, in fact, separate the art from the artist like PigLick brought up. But replying here is still probably a mistake in hindsight.

  17. #42
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2005
    Location: Not Kansas
    Quote Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
    this thread gave me pinkeye

    [*]the "false claims" thing needs to be taken out front and shot and its corpse left to fester in the yard as a warning to other bad arguments. are a small, tiny, minuscule portion of accusations false? probably. it happens. but it has been weaponized to silence anyone accusing someone of sexual assault. most rapes go unreported to the police, because of fear, and because the police have a history of not doing shit -- or they're the ones doing the raping. and even when victims do speak up, often nothing happens anyway.

    and i'll tell you something else -- i knew someone who was raped, but when she reported it to the police they bullied her into recanting. so there's a "false claim" for ya.[/list]

    This. ^^^ Should people who make 'false claims' be penalized for doing so? Hell yeah. Can a person who's raped someone, or someone repeatedly made foul, sexist remarks change? That depends. People CAN change, but if the behavior is ingrained, i.e., has become habitual behavior, then no, it's less likely that person will ever change.

    Frankly, I agree, june gloom, I think I feel a bout of pink eye coming on, too. I'm sitting here reading this thread, wherein the majority of respondents are males who have never been and will never be sexually assaulted and just shaking my head. I mean, what the actual fuck??!!!! Hasn't this topic been dissected and its bones picked clean by now?

    After having undergone counseling and therapy for years to work through having been brutally sexually assaulted years ago wherein I was made to appear to be the perpetrator in court, my life was dissected, analyzed and displayed for the world to see, my life was ruined because two of my ex-boyfriends were called in as 'witnesses' to the fact that no, I wasn't a virgin, ergo I couldn't possibly have been raped (a despicable theory that made the rounds of my peers with astonishing speed), I speak from experience, obviously. Even though police photos and a hospital report proved that yes, I had indeed been violently assaulted and raped and I'm talking about concrete proof of that fact, the POS who raped me got off with a disgustingly, stomach-wrenchingly light sentence.

    I ended up with scar tissue where I shouldn't have had scar tissue (which made it difficult to conceive, years later), a displaced retina, a fractured cheekbone, a severely bruised larynx from being choked nearly to death and two broken ribs, not to mention a deep-seated fear of ever going anywhere alone, ever again (I was assaulted in the parking lot of a grocery super-store at 9 p.m. while walking back to my car) and a fear of pretty much any man who gave me a second glance. It was years before I could date again and my first few dates ended badly with me basically excusing myself and making a quick exit, regardless of the fact that my dates actually seemed like nice people. But every time I caught one of them staring at my breasts, I saw the face of my rapist; every time one of them made a joke that was even remotely sexist-sounding to my ears I found myself wishing I had a gun so I could shoot him in the face. I was ostracized by some of the people whom I'd previously believed were my friends, to the point that I moved clear across the country to try to start a new life though it broke my heart to leave my parents and siblings behind. Even now, decades later, I still have a can of pepper spray in my purse, a metal nail file within easy reach and a deep-seated aversion-bordering-on-outright-hatred for men who like to ramble on and wax pedantic about how so many women just cry 'RAPE!!' in order to ruin a man's life. Give me a motherfucking break.

    Should someone who's committed sexual assault or who's made offensively sexist remarks be 'forgiven'? Probably not; that kind of mindset is damn near impossible to change, especially if he's committed rape or posted/spewed remarks like that more than once. Take him at his word that he has really, truly changed? Yeah, the rest of you can, but there'll always be the shadow of a doubt in my mind and probably the mind of every woman who's ever been raped.

    Just an FYI: the National Sexual Violence Resource Center cites statistics indicating that only 2% to 10% of all rape charges (annually) are proven to be false charges. That does not include charges which have been dropped or for which there is insufficient evidence of actual rape (which, btw, does not mean the victim wasn't raped, just that there was insufficient evidence to prove that she was).

    Oh, and the mouth breathing POS who raped me? Yeah, he got three whole months in jail for assault and battery with NO mention of sexual assault. The judge decided that the perp had most likely 'learned his lesson and probably wouldn't be doing 'that' again'. Three years later I read in the news that he was sent to prison for 10 years for sexually assaulting a 15 year old girl, putting her in a months-long coma and damn near killing her. May his soul rot in eternal Hell. And for those of you who cry out in protest that that was decades ago and so much has changed to the point that all men are now being victimized, yeah, go fuck yourselves. Sideways. Brock Turner, Stacey Rambold, Austin Smith Clem, Mark Thompson, Sir Young, Jose Arriaga Soto Jr., Thomas Boden, just to name a recent few, though I'm sure there are many, many more rapists who've been given a lenient sentence for various reasons, usually because the judge sees them as 'the real victim here'. 'Cancel culture'? Yeah, IMO just another empty, edgy catch-phrase. Again, give me a motherfucking break.

    In case you haven't caught on, the trauma of being raped stays with you for the rest of your life, no matter how much counseling and therapy you receive and even if your rapist is sent to prison for a few years. Yeah, eventually you're able to, for the most part, move forward and try to make a 'normal' life for yourself (I eventually moved back home because fuck it), but you never forget and IMO you have got to be some kind of saint to actually forgive (maybe I will, like on my deathbed?).

    Okay. I'm ready to hear from the 'NOT ALL MEN!!' crowd, as well as the 'BUT WHATABOUT .....??' group, too. Here, I'll even get you started by saying that I am no longer a victim, but a survivor and fully support the #METOO movement.

    Oh wait ....... nevermind. I honestly don't give a flying fuck. I am SO done here.

    @icemann: damn you all to Hell for starting this thread in the first place and damn my eyes for reading through it.

    @Renz: Just close this fucking thread and be done with it. Thank you.
    Last edited by Dia; 6th Jul 2020 at 10:41.

  18. #43
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2001
    Location: Somewhere
    I was sexually groomed by an older female when i was 16 years old. Unfotunately the general attitude at the time was "you lucky bastard, go for it". It wasnt like that at all, i felt humiliated, manipulated and forced. It totally fucked with my head and I didnt know how to react to it so I just went along with it because I felt powerless. Luckily I had the gumption to just cut it off after weeks of abuse, I had to quit my job that I had at the time.
    SO YEH NOT ALL FUCKING MEN
    in fact looking back thats when i started seriously doing substance abuse, drugs + alcohol, to the point of ludicriousness
    so yeh i have just a small inkling of an idea about what its like, and its no different for a young male than it is for a young female, and if you dare say so i can give you the full details, which i would rather not because its something that has stayed with me all my life, and i have been to numerous counselors and psychologists

    if you read my previous posts, remember i post with a large degree of sarcasm, its not literal you shallow minded wangs

    @dia, you speak from obviously very little real knowledge, which is not invalidating your own experience, but there are plenty of men who are sexually assaulted, do you realize how even harder it is for a man to speak up about assault?
    Last edited by PigLick; 6th Jul 2020 at 11:35.

  19. #44
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2004
    Location: Netherlands
    Piglick, this isn't a zero sum game. There can be acknowledgement of male and female victims of rape.

  20. #45
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
    of course it does, because the cops did it. and when they didn't do it, it was far right goons like the proud boys. this is what they do, this is all they do, the alt-right has been doing little ops like these for years

    you really are in the tank for Big Tinfoil, ain'tcha
    Those brick piles are much ado over nothing. Literally the only evidence we have of their existence are from a bunch of randos on the internet taking pictures of some bricks, and "just asking questions." I remember reading about one pile that was investigated, and was found to be blocks away from any protest hotspot, placed in front of a building that was *gasp* actually under construction.

    I seriously doubt the police, the protesters, the alt-right, or George Soros' secret deep state death squads were responsible for them. It's more likely they're just building material, and their infamy is down to a bunch of rabble rousers spreading stories about to raise the hackles among the easily frightened.

  21. #46
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2001
    Location: Somewhere
    blarg
    Last edited by PigLick; 6th Jul 2020 at 13:02. Reason: ok i cant do this sorry

  22. #47
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: not here
    Okay, look. Everyone take a breath. I'm incredibly sorry for anyone who's gone through sexual abuse in their lives -- all I can say is that you have my support, and I know that's not enough. And please, let's not minimise anyone else's pain because that is part of the fucking problem. Dia, PigLick -- it is absolutely vital that you get the acknowledgment and support you need, and I don't think this thread will do that.

    Renz: I echo Dia. Please close this piece of shit the fuck down.

  23. #48
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2006
    Location: Berghem Haven
    Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    My concern with all this is nowadays truth is not based on objective facts
    It never was.
    That's the real myth

    Truth is the interpretation of reality functional to other things.

  24. #49
    Taking the Death Toll
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: they/them mayhem
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    JK Rowling is getting a rough ride on twitter at the moment for her, admittedly skating on thin ice, views.
    and she deserves every bit of it and then some, and the fact that you don't see it isn't even a surprise given how much you defended brendan eich's homophobia years ago

    i'm not even going to address the rest of your post. much like every other hot take you've had over the years, it's simply not worth addressing. you're saying nothing of value, substance or originality, and engaging with you is, and has always been, a waste of time

    this thread sucks. burn it to the ground

    i think i'm gonna disengage here for the most part. i've said my piece, anything else would just be giving what dorks like subjeff and icemann want: a debate. and anyway it's really past time i move on before the local forum nazis like jarlfrank discover this shitshow and things really go to hell

  25. #50
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2003
    Location: The Plateaux Of Mirror
    I don't really see the point of a thread like this when no one is going to listen to what anyone says anyway. Which is kind of where we're at as a civilization in general.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •