TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TDM FM: The Painter's Wife (01/07/2020)

Originally Posted by nbohr1more
    Hmm... there is an auto lockpicking menu setting. Keybind does not work for you?

tdm_lp_pick_timeout can be used to shorten the pick time.
    I installed the new version. There is still no key binding for auto-lock picking. It still requires the use of the mouse.

Edit: I set the lock pick time out to "0.0" went into the game to try it out and see if I could pick a lock with one click of the mouse. I also set the bobs to "0" as well but when i entered the game i found he still wobbles like a drunk. Why doesn't "0" eliminate the wobble ?

I used your setting suggestions.
    seta pm_bobroll "0"

seta pm_bobpitch "0"

seta pm_bobup "0"
    Last edited by howeird; 5th Jul 2020 at 07:52.

i have following problems

i updated to tdm 2.0.8./32 and now i read that 64 bit version is necessary.

where cab i get this 64 bit version?

Quote Originally Posted by radogoal View Post
    where cab i get this 64 bit version?
    The 64-bit version can be found in your darkmod folder, TheDarkModx64.exe. Starting from 2.09, the 64-bit client is likely going to become the default while the 32-bit version is dropped.

Why doesn't "0" eliminate the wobble ?

To answer my own question: After i enter the game, apparently, it changes the settings back to the original configuration. Setting them to '0' is not a option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragofer View Post
    The 64-bit version can be found in your darkmod folder, TheDarkModx64.exe. Starting from 2.09, the 64-bit client is likely going to become the default while the 32-bit version is dropped.
    ok i load the mission with the 64 bit version, but the loading takes about 5-6 minutes. and then mission stucks

what are the hardware requirements for this mission?

Quote Originally Posted by howeird View Post
    To answer my own question: After i enter the game, apparently, it changes the settings back to the original configuration.
    That's strange, how about trying to set those values ingame using the console? You can open the console by pressing ^ (button left of 1) or ctrl + alt + shift + ^.

Quote Originally Posted by radogoal View Post
    ok i load the mission with the 64 bit version, but the loading takes about 5-6 minutes. and then mission stucks

what are the hardware requirements for this mission?
    The main requirement is likely going to be enough RAM to fit the whole mission, 8 GB should be safe. I could suggest using the version for 32-bit clients, which is lighter.

@fortuni, what I could suggest is to create a new folder instead of using C:/Games. In my experience Windows sometimes randomly does weird things with folder permissions, denying me the ability to use/delete them.

I have Linux system. People had problems playing it in the Linux version in the past so i downloaded the Windows version and am running it in Wine. I've never had a game not keep commands saved in files. I even tried deleting those command lines complete but they reappear in the text file after i start the game.

EDIT: I moved the game over to my Windows computer and tried changing to:
    seta pm_bobroll "0"

seta pm_bobpitch "0"

seta pm_bobup "0"

I get the same result on Windows 10 where the game changes setting back to default. So, he wobbles on both machines now.
    Last edited by howeird; 5th Jul 2020 at 10:36.

I have Linux system. People had problems playing it in the Linux version in the past so i downloaded the Windows version and am running it in Wine. I've never had a game not keep commands saved in files. I even tried deleting those command lines complete but they reappear in the text file after i start the game.

EDIT: I moved the game over to my Windows computer and tried changing to:
    seta pm_bobroll "0"

seta pm_bobpitch "0"

seta pm_bobup "0"

I get the same result on Windows 10 where the game changes setting back to default. So, he wobbles on both machines now.
    Did you create an autoexec.cfg with these settings?

i don't know how to do that

i don't know how to do that
    Open a text Editor like Notepad

Add

seta pm_bobroll "0"

seta pm_bobpitch "0"

seta pm_bobup "0"

to it and save as autoexec.txt

then rename the file to autoexec.cfg and copy it into your darkmod folder

Further reference:

https://tweakguides.pcgamingwiki.com/Doom3_7.html

that doesn't work. same result as before.....reverts to default wobble

that doesn't work. same result as before.....reverts to default wobble
    Strange. Just to be sure add all these to your autoexec.cfg

seta pm_bobroll "0"
    seta pm_bobpitch "0"
    seta pm_bobup "0"
    seta pm_runroll "0"
    seta pm_runpitch "0"
    seta pm_runbob "0"
    seta pm_walkbob "0"
    seta pm_crouchbob "0"
    seta com_fixedTic "1"

Also, make sure your folder view is set to show common file extensions:

https://www.howtogeek.com/205086/beg...le-extensions/

so that (for example) you don't really have autoexec.cfg.txt in the folder.

I moved it back on Linux system and i don't know how to do that in Linux (or if it is even possible). I don't see a setting to show common file extensions. I will trying it again in Windows tomorrow.

Finished this one last night and had hours of fun with it. Found about half of the 12 secrets, will probably revisit it to find the rest as it was legitimately fun looking for them.

I'd definitely recommend this one to anyone, regardless of your prior experiences with Dark Mod.

And I'll also say the new version of dark mod performed great and looked fantastic on my machine - the new ambient occlusion and soft shadows really do a lot to make it feel better, though of course a lot of credit to how good things look goes to the mappers, and I just wanna say thanks to everyone involved.

All that said...

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    In TDM the team raise that difficulty on purpose, to make it even more about being unseen and avoiding combat if at all possible.
    The blackjack doesn't feel more difficult, it feels broken and inconsistent. The way flashes work with blackjacking also doesn't make any sense; flashes disorient - guards if anything should be more vulnerable to blackjacking after one, not virtually immune.

All the current blackjack does is ensure a quicksave before every attempt. The team would have been better served sticking with behavior closer to Thief and then letting mission authors set harder (but ideally optional) requirements as they saw fit for more difficulty.

That said, the blackjack is basically my only real complaint - the other AI systems are great and keep improving, and the Dark Mod mantle is just fantastic and seems to always do what I intend in a way Thief simply does not. It's really good.

Even with the blackjack, people really should give Dark Mod a try - there's dozens of fantastic missions out there that feel perfectly Thiefy, and if you're staying away you're really missing out.

I agree - this mission is a vast city sandbox, which is full of content, and has many creative touches and secrets. I especially like the village and Dishonored-like Void section.

I personally would say that many of problems with experience TDM come from expectations and habits: I for myself still often click the "8" button to get the rope arrow. And it is harder to KO guard in TDM than in Thief - because guards in TDM notice more and generally are more sensitive (I even didn't try to KO guard who was disoriented by flash bomb or mine - it seems that using flash bombs requires different tactics than in T 1-2). It also applies to the lockpicking, which is different in TDM and needs some getting used to.
    Last edited by michael a; 6th Jul 2020 at 18:49.

Quote Originally Posted by michael a View Post
    I personally would say that many of problems with experience TDM come from expectations and habits: I for myself still often click the "8" button to get the rope arrow
    Just FYI but you can rebind that - I tend to keep Dark Mod bound pretty similarly to Thief, with changes for the enhancements in inventory handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrle View Post
    Just FYI but you can rebind that - I tend to keep Dark Mod bound pretty similarly to Thief, with changes for the enhancements in inventory handling.
    I know it, but I don't want (partly - because I'm too lazy).

Quote Originally Posted by nbohr1more View Post
    Strange. Just to be sure add all these to your autoexec.cfg

seta pm_bobroll "0"
    seta pm_bobpitch "0"
    seta pm_bobup "0"
    seta pm_runroll "0"
    seta pm_runpitch "0"
    seta pm_runbob "0"
    seta pm_walkbob "0"
    seta pm_crouchbob "0"
    seta com_fixedTic "1"

Also, make sure your folder view is set to show common file extensions:

https://www.howtogeek.com/205086/beg...le-extensions/

so that (for example) you don't really have autoexec.cfg.txt in the folder.
    This does not work. All it did was freeze the mouse when i launched the game. I deleted the game and have no plans to continue trying to play. The blackjack worked fine for me but the arrows had no effect on the AI. I shot 3 different guards in the head with a broad head arrow and it did not kill them. When i played it before head shots would kill the AI but not now. Like i said the blackjack worked perfectly fine as long as they had no helmet.

Edit: I'm not sure if the file commands caused the problem now. Windows Edge updated and moved my games folder just before I tried this so that maybe what caused everything to freeze.
    Last edited by howeird; 6th Jul 2020 at 22:07.

Secret village? Any hints on how to find it?
    Also completed all objectives but cant find Lord Marlow location.

I managed to re-install TDM but this mission is too big for my comp, the lagging makes for uncomfortable gameplay, but it's not as bad as the lagging in A Good Neighbour, that was beyond impossible and that missions map was a lot smaller

What is the recommended specs for TDM nowadays?

My comp is
    W10
    Intel Core i5-4210H CPU @ 2.90Ghz
    64 Bit
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
    Unfortunately due to this being a low end GPU, you will have issues with lots of games, not just TDM.

I suggest going to the Perf settings for low end machine thread - https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index....nd-pcs/page/2/

• I shot 3 different guards in the head with a broad head arrow and it did not kill them.
    • Like i said the blackjack worked perfectly fine as long as they had no helmet.
    • Windows Edge updated and moved my games folder just before I tried this so that maybe what caused everything to freeze.
    • You need to shoot them in the face for insta-kill, if they were wearing a helmet its prolly why they didnt die.
    • There is only one Ai that cant be BJ'd with a helmet on and that is the pro/commander-guard, just like in T1/2
    • Its more likely that windows 10 update did something. And yes Micro$haft have been rather aggressive with the pushing Edge onto users that never asked for it.

Bikerdude

I thought I had a NVIDIA graphics card, but when I looked up my specs in my comp system specs it showed I had Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 so that's what I posted, double checked again in Device Manager and that shows I have NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M

If that the case should I still be suffering lagging with this mission, the device manager says the graphic card is working correctly (will still check out that thread you linked).

I shot the AI in the eyeball but did not kill them. You need to start reading what people write before you comment

Quote Originally Posted by Kin View Post
    Secret village? Any hints on how to find it?
    Also completed all objectives but cant find Lord Marlow location.
    For secret village you should seek the library in one of compartments in the southwest of the map. Wycombe street, if I not mistaken
    The location of Lord Marlow is pointed in the assassin's journal.
    More direct hint about Marlow: in the gambling den on Arch way. Often goes to the toilet

And also there is non-lethal way of dealing with him to collect 4 letters and bring them to courthouse.
    Last edited by michael a; 7th Jul 2020 at 09:52.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast