TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TDM FM: The Painter's Wife (01/07/2020)

TDM FM: The Painter's Wife (01/07/2020)

My old friend Andreas urgently needs my help. He asked if I could meet him at the Lion's Head Inn, our favourite retreat in a quaint part of the city called Mirkway Quarter. He’s got a small apartment nearby where he makes a modest living off paintings he sells to pompous nobles and the odd merchant.

Not long ago, his wife Lily was hired as a servant at the manor of the local alderman, one Lord Marlow. Now she hasn't been home for days. Andreas went to the manor looking for her, but the guards shoved him into the gutter and warned him not to return. Andreas is certain that something bad has happened, and I don’t think he’s wrong.

Gallery

Hi-Res Map

Authors’ Notes

It all started many years ago when Shadowhide laid the foundation for a sprawling and convoluted city and worked with MoroseTroll and Clearing to create a macabre storyline to befit this medieval metropolis. At some point, however, the beast grew too large to handle, so he handed the keys to the City to Bikerdude and Melan. Together, the two worked tirelessly, passing the map back and forth, each playing to their respective strengths. Notably, Melan reworked the story concept, toning down many of its darker, R-rated elements.

Eventually Melan, too, moved on in 2017, but by then large swathes of the community had become involved in this map’s development. Mapping work was contributed by Baal, Grayman, Fidcal, Ubermann, Skacky, and Flanders, while Destined, nbohr1more, and Obsttorte wrote story texts. Several scripts were provided by Grayman, Baal and Obsttorte, such as an elevator with scissor gates, a TDM first.

Even after all this input, the daunting task still remained to transform what had grown into the largest TDM map ever made into a playable mission. Bikerdude hammered away at this for some more years still, on and off between other projects, until in early 2020 when he deemed it ready for public viewing.

It was then that Dragofer and Amadeus joined in. In the months that followed, the trio reworked, finished, and polished the mission in nearly every aspect, fully writing out and editing the story as well as adding countless scripted effects and (with help from Bienie) many new readables. The good working atmosphere and pooled creativity brought forth several new secrets, of which the largest likely hasn’t been done before in TDM (hint: check the libraries). In the very end, the name “Fractured Glass Company” was drawn up to refer to everybody who was involved in creating this very special mission.

Without the hard work of all these people, most of all Bikerdude and Shadowhide, this mission would likely never have seen the light of day, let alone become what you see here before you. The mission is, as Bikerdude puts it, a homage to Thief 1 & 2, and it’s our hope that you catch these vibes as you explore and enjoy this mission.

Credits

- Mapping: Shadowhide (original author), Bikerdude, Amadeus, Baal, Dragofer, Fidcal, Flanders, Melan, Skacky, UberMann
    - Original Story Concept: Clearing, MoroseTroll, Shadowhide
    - Story & Readables: Amadeus, Bienie, Bikerdude, Dragofer, Destined, Melan, nbohr1more, Obsttorte, Shadowhide
    - Editor: Amadeus
    - Scripting: Dragofer, Baal, Grayman, Obsttorte
    - Voice Acting: AndrosTheOxen (Andreas), Joe Noelker (Player)
    - Video Editing: Bikerdude (briefing), Goldwell (briefing intro)
    - Custom Models: Bikerdude, Dragofer, Dram, Epifire, Grayman, Obsttorte
    - Custom Textures: Airship Ballet, Dmv88, Hugo Lobo
    - Custom Sounds: GigaGooga, Sephy, Shadow Sneaker, alanmcki, andre_onate, Deathscyp, dl-sounds.com, Dmv88, dwoboyle, eugensid90, gzmo, lucasduff, mistersherlock, qubodup, randommynd, richerlandtv, sfx4animation, Speedenza
    - Betatesting: Amadeus, Biene, Bluerat, CambridgeSpy, Dragofer, JoeBarnin, Kingsal, Krilmar, ManzanitaCrow, Noodles, S1lverwolf, s.urfer

Download

Note: this mission requires TDM 2.08, which is now available for download. Please be aware that old saved games will no longer work after your upgrade to 2.08.
    Note: it’s highly recommended to run this mission using the 64-bit client (TheDarkModx64.exe), since there've been frequent reports the mission won't load on the 32-bit client (TheDarkMod.exe).

The mission is available from the ingame downloader. In addition to that, here are some more mirrors, as well as the official screenshots for anybody uploading this mission to a FM database:

Mission: Google Drive / OneDrive
    Mission (slimmed down version for 32-bit clients): Google Drive / OneDrive
    Official Screenshots: Google Drive / OneDrive
    Last edited by Dragofer; 25th Sep 2020 at 08:36. Reason: Added link to hi-res map

Clearinghouse
    Congratulations to the team, especially Shadowhide!

Oh, awesome. Can't wait to try it.

>TDM

Wow, what a monumental team effort - congratulations and well done to all involved. Perseverance at its best

Quote Originally Posted by A.Stahl View Post
    >TDM
    After Melan and I adopted the map and then in the subsequent years I worked on it, I tried to get the look at feel of one of Skacky's large city missions, with lots of nooks and crannies.

There are so many things that have been added to this map in the last few months of development that have never been done in TDM before and are a direct homage to T1/2 that anyone on here that hasn't played TDM before or very much out to at least try this mission.

That and there are have been sever key improvements with the release of TDM 2.08, SSAO (Ambient occlusion) which is a very big deal. And there are now 2 types of shadow implementation in the game, with the MAPS version giving that soft backed-in look shadows of the T1/2 games - only Dynamic! Then there is Ultra-wide screen resolution support, HRTF and EFX audio which surpasses that the NuDark engine can do.
    Last edited by Bikerdude; 24th Jul 2020 at 05:53.

Give it a try. The mod has come a long way and the map has been great to play tonight. I'm far from done but I've loved it so far.

What i don't like about TDM is the combat system, so i use always God mode to kill easily the enemies when being allowed.

>sever key improvements with the release of TDM

Graphics is rather good, yes.
    Blackjack is what prevents me from playing this game. Absolutely unpleasant to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardia View Post
    What i don't like about TDM is the combat system, so i use always God mode to kill easily the enemies when being allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stahl View Post
    Blackjack is what prevents me from playing this game. Absolutely unpleasant to use.
    T1/2 combat is too easy and has been for a long time -

1. you walk up behind any AI, then bump into them and BJ them with impunity.
    2. You can dance around Ai with swords and just keep hacking away that them, with impunity

In TDM the team raise that difficulty on purpose, to make it even more about being unseen and avoiding combat if at all possible.
    Last edited by Bikerdude; 4th Jul 2020 at 07:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    In TDM the team raise that difficulty on purpose
    More difficult doesn't mean more interesting (especially if we're talking about trivial and repetitive parts of gameplay). It just means more quickloads.

And I remember about that crazy lockpicking. I do.

I myself have no problem with lockpicking in TDM: it is quite refreshing (comparing to Thief), and adds possibility of failure (again, unlike Thief). it seemed for me unusual at first, but now I appreciate it. Different tastes, maybe...

I don't play TDM either. I get motion sickness because of the drunken wobble of the thief character i could only play for it about 10 mins at a time. I can't do the lock picking either because it causes carpal tunnel problems for me. I set the 'enter' key for thief 1 & 2 as a lock picking key but it can't be set that way in TDM for the auto lock picking. Plus the auto lock picking takes way too long
    Last edited by howeird; 4th Jul 2020 at 09:21.

I'll certainly give this one a go, I've heard so much about it and it sounds like it's one of the must play TDM missions, and there's been quite a few already.

As others have said above the mechanics of TDM do need getting used to as they are very different from Thief, personally I'm a 'bash everybody' on the head player which TDM makes almost impossible unless you hit your targets at exactly the right spot, don't do that and all they do is shake their head, turn around and turn you into mincemeat. I also find mantling cumbersome, fighting with your sword pointless and most AI's far to sensitive to even the most trivial of noises.

Having said all that the overall look of most TDM missions are just superb, if a little samey with those only using stock items, but some of the kaleidoscopic visual effects are just stunning to behold, so yes I'll be playing this one, and of course congratulations to all those who were involved in it's production.

Dear Facebook friends, I've gone to a place called Mirkway. You may not hear from me for quite some time...

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    T1/2 combat is too easy and has been for a long time -

1. you walk up behind any AI, then bump into them and BJ them with impunity.
    2. You can dance around Ai with swords and just keep hacking away that them, with impunity

In TDM the team raise that difficulty on purpose, to make it even more about being unseen and avoiding combat if at all possible.
    This is what’s so frustrating about the TDM fanatics. They’re always complaining that TTLGers don’t show sufficient interest. But when TTLGers say “this is what I don’t like about TDM...” the dark mod fanatics just say “you’re wrong to feel that way.”

TDM made the assumption that all thief players want a more challenging stealth experience. TDM provides one. But the problem is, that assumption was wrong. Some players want that, to be sure. But many are drawn to thief for other reasons, and find the punishing difficulty of TDM to be a slog which detracts from the enjoyment.

Personally, I’ve never played a thief FM and thought: “man that was great! I just wish the guards were way harder to deal with.”

If you really want to win over more thief fans, allow for more scalable difficulty with an easier mode that mirrors Thief combat. Of course that’s a lot of work, which would be totally reasonable to reject. But recognize that this is an exclusionary design choice that will push many players away, and own that.

P.S. All that said, this mission looks beautiful. Maybe I'll try it.
    Last edited by trefoilknot; 4th Jul 2020 at 10:29.

In TDM, are the guards' footsteps still very quiet? That was always my big annoyance.

If you can't fight them, can barely blackjack them, AND you can't hear them coming it's kind of pointless. People don't play Thief for the visuals. It's the atmosphere and gameplay.
    Last edited by Krush; 4th Jul 2020 at 12:01. Reason: none

Quote Originally Posted by trefoilknot View Post
    TDM made the assumption that all thief players want a more challenging stealth experience. P.S. All that said, this mission looks beautiful. Maybe I'll try it.
    Apologies, I should also mentioned that you can turn down those difficulty settings to a more t1/2 level and you also have the 3 difficulty levels in-game to choose from. And grand, a bunch of things were done specifically with T1/2 players in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krush View Post
    In TDM, are the guards' footsteps still very quiet? That was always my big annoyance.
    you can lower or increase the ambient sound levels via the main menu slider i believe.
    Last edited by Bikerdude; 24th Jul 2020 at 05:53.

Quote Originally Posted by howeird View Post
    I don't play TDM either. I get motion sickness because of the drunken wobble of the thief character i could only play for it about 10 mins at a time. I can't do the lock picking either because it causes carpal tunnel problems for me. I set the 'enter' key for thief 1 & 2 as a lock picking key but it can't be set that way in TDM for the auto lock picking. Plus the auto lock picking takes way too long
    Have you tried disabling head bob:

seta pm_bobroll "0"

seta pm_bobpitch "0"

seta pm_bobup "0"

in autoexec,cfg ?

Hmm... there is an auto lockpicking menu setting. Keybind does not work for you?

tdm_lp_pick_timeout can be used to shorten the pick time.
    Last edited by nbohr1more; 4th Jul 2020 at 17:51.

TDM doesn't have a difficulty problem - it's moreso that moving around feels like your wafting through molasses and the constant framerate drops makes it aggravating to play.

Also don't use meme arrows outside the proper websites it makes you look foolish.

If those issues are fixed i could try playing it again. I got the game within the year of its first release but i had a low spec machine at the time and found it unplayable. I kept the game until i bought an actual gaming computer a few years later but was disappointed with the wobbling and it failing to set key bindings. I downloaded all the created missions that were available at that time when i got the gaming computer but was only able to get through the mission that came packaged with the game. Even so i had to watch the whole YouTube video on how to get through that mission. I broke the script in the first mission when i tried to play it the first time. The person i was suppose to meet at the end of the mission ran away when i approached him - it took me a long time to figure out why. Other problems were: the upstairs AI trigger didn't work properly and it was extremely difficult to get items (especially books) to light up so they could be frobbed. If i remember correctly reading a book is different than Thief which caused problems for me. Darkness didn't have any meaning to AI and often times i would be sitting quietly in a dark corner waiting for a guard to pass when it would suddenly attack me. There is one mission that starts in a jail cell that i found impossible to escape from. I talked to someone on the forum about it and he said that a lot of people couldn't get out of that cell because the escape hole is very small and difficult to fit through properly. There is another one that the creator locked every door in the building and stuck a safe & clock in a room with a lock you had to pick. The clock was so loud that i couldn't hear tumblers on the lock. Being that picking locks are based on sound i found it impossible to pick it. I deleted the game after that mission and figured it would take a sound card and some high quality speakers or headphones to play the game which i didn't have at the time. Even today I don't play thief with headphones.

Tried to update my TDM to 2.08 by updated failed as couldn't find a server, so deleted TDM (there's no uninstall.exe) and went to d/l page, tried to re-install and again install failed due to a read only issue, but there is no easily found instructions as to how to change from read only, so now got no TDM installed......Grrrrr

Guys if you put a package together that you can't update or easily re-install without having a masters degree in computer sciences it doesn't matter how fantastic your mission are, you'll only have a limited number of players.

Note to gods of TDM...make it easy for computer dummies, we're not all as knowledgeable as you with files and changing hidden commands in windows.

KISS...
    Last edited by fortuni; 5th Jul 2020 at 03:24.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    install failed due to a read only issue
    I believe that can happen when using folders like Program Files, which are read-only. Have you tried installing TDM to a new folder like C:/Games/DarkMod?

As for TDM & Thief, I find that it takes some adjustment after switching between the two after a long time, i.e. in Thief mantling doesn't always work, loud floors aren't pleasant to deal with and jumping/falling feels a bit low-gravity in direct comparison to TDM. Certainly hasn't stopped me from enjoying a big percentage of the immense amount of FMs available for Thief.

Well my hope is that now that this mission is finally out, at long last and after all those years of hard work, people can have fun with this one, if they want, (rather than getting into a vaguely related debate) while I'm freed up to enjoy all those Thief anniversary contest missions. The entries I've played so far have been very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragofer View Post
    I believe that can happen when using folders like Program Files, which are read-only. Have you tried installing TDM to a new folder like C:/Games/DarkMod?
    That's exactly where it used to be C:/Games/TDM, wouldn't even think of placing it in Program Files, but is now in recycle bin.

Last edited by fortuni; 5th Jul 2020 at 04:48.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    Tried to update my TDM to 2.08 by updated failed as couldn't find a server
    Do you have a firewall installed on your PC or an Antivirus app that has a firewall? Ive just tested tdm_update.exe and its working fine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast