TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314

Thread: Cancel culture cancelled the thread on cancel culture

Hmm. I've always thought the execution was what made Highlander work. The premise is dumb and the plot structure is perfunctory.

But this is f'ing gold. Lots of clever little bits like that, and aside from the boring protagonist, all the main characters (and several bit parts) get to have a lot of fun with the acting.
    Last edited by Pyrian; 10th Jul 2020 at 00:59.

Still Subjective
    Clancy Brown is great in that role and to be honest, in loads of stuff he's just a total c%#t. See his role in Billions. He's just so good at it.

Coincidentally, Billions has a great gender nonconforming character. They aren't as cool as Wags or Dollar Bill, but you can't have it all.

I can't think of bad role that Clany Brown has had. Was fantastic in highlander, great in Shawshank Redemption, did some good voice acting in Gargoyles back in the day, and was great in the Mandalorian. I've not watched Billions so can't speak on that.

to get back on topic
    "When a term which has a specific meaning in a specific instance begins to be used by a group which adopts it as part of an ideological argument, it no longer generates discussion, but is instead used as a talisman to close off discussion"
    re cancel culture

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    great in Shawshank Redemption, did some good voice acting in Gargoyles back in the day, and was great in the Mandalorian.
    Playing two total c u next tuesdays.

Again, lol.

Aye, PigLick, and we see it hear it here with dat TERF.

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    "When a term which has a specific meaning in a specific instance begins to be used by a group which adopts it as part of an ideological argument, it no longer generates discussion, but is instead used as a talisman to close off discussion"
    See how human nature remains deeply irrational in a rationalist world?

I think it is part because of information loading. As larger numbers of people attempt to engage in complex issues, the complexity reduces until it becomes binary. Once the issue becomes binary there's a reduced capacity for nuance. In fact, attempting to explore the middle ground will be seen as hostile to both sides of the duality and expose rational thinkers to greater risk.
    Last edited by Nicker; 11th Jul 2020 at 19:07.

Still Subjective
    Good explanation.

verbose douchebag
    Highlander
    There should have been only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    As larger numbers of people attempt to engage in complex issues, the complexity reduces until it becomes binary. Once the issue becomes binary there's a reduced capacity for nuance. In fact, attempting to explore the middle ground will be seen as hostile to both sides of the duality
    You nicely summed up this gender issue.

Still Subjective
    Netherlands apparently taking gender off ID cards. Not sure what to make of that really, as it's not going to really affect much.

Makes you wonder why this was ever on them.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Netherlands apparently taking gender off ID cards.
    I saw that in the news. Nobody here is making a big issue out of this. Personally I don't think it matters. It's just "symbolic politics" as we call it. (No idea what the translation in English would be).

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    There should have been only one.
    Funny on two levels.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314