TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Whoooo wanta some Wang?! | Shadow Warrior 3

Whoooo wanta some Wang?! | Shadow Warrior 3

OOOOH ME ME ME! OVER HERE, ME SIR! I DO! I WANT SOME WANG!!!

I loved the others, can't wait for this. Wang himself looks totally different with the hair though; can't quite get used to that. Still, that won't matter in the grand scheme of things as long as the combat is still enjoyable, which it certainly looks to be.

I've seen loads of comments floating around debating whether this one should be closer to the linear progression of SW1, or more like the procedural looter-shooter style of SW2. Personally I'd be happy with either, although I did find SW2's sheer amount of loot overwhelming at times and I barely touched most of it - not sure it would be any different if SW3 goes in the same direction. I was hoping the gameplay trailer would give me some hints on that front but there wasn't really much shown.

In any case, it's a must-buy for me. Flying Wild Hog and Devolver can shove as much Wang down my throat as they like!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkForge View Post
    I've seen loads of comments floating around debating whether this one should be closer to the linear progression of SW1, or more like the procedural looter-shooter style of SW2.
    Yeah, I loved the first one, hated the second. Will wait for reviews on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Yeah, I loved the first one, hated the second. Will wait for reviews on this one.
    I don't have any direct-from-devs quotes but according to the IGN preview:

- open world and co-op are gone
    - they're going back to their roots (whatever that means)
    - game is focused on a linear single player campaign
    - uses UE4 (they've moved away from their own tech)

And honestly, after the tepid reception of loot mechanics in SW2 it would stun me if they kept going in that direction.

Well, that makes me cautiously optimistic, actually.

Most of the loot stuff was stupid as hell in SW2, but the actual game was pretty damn fun.

I had way more fun with Shadow Warrior 2 than Shadow Warrior 2013. Sure a lot of the "loot" was irrelevant and essentially just clutter, but every weapon felt different and even more so with the various ways you could mod them. The core gameplay also felt a lot smoother in SW2, with the enemies only feeling bullet spongy on the higher difficulties with poorly modded weapons.

I spent more than 100 hours having fun in SW2 (on both Steam and GOG), doing multiple runs through the story, compared to the two runs I did of SW 2013 (first playthrough and New Game+).

Chakat sex pillow
    I felt SW2's loot grind was kind of painful, but the added mobility and combat was definitely great. The levels and grind were far too samey even in co-op, and the story and humour was just lolwut stupid instead of the weird and daft buddy story like the first one. I for one would rather have a more focused linear experience, but I'm not holding out for the schtick to be as funny two games later.

Anyway, they seem to have taken more than a few notes from the Doom reboot this time around. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Anyway, they seem to have taken more than a few notes from the Doom reboot this time around.
    You know, I keep hearing this everywhere from everyone. It's a lot like DOOM4/DE, they say. And I can't quite see it really. Combat arenas were in Shadow Warrior 2013, dashing and double jumping was in SW2 (DOOM4 didn't even have dash and it also came out in 2016), the grappling hook is more reminiscent of the skyhook from BioShock Infinite.

Is it just because DOOM Eternal came out recently and it's popular so now every action-oriented shooter looks like DOOM to people? I'm an old timer so this kind of reminds me how back in the day after the original DOOM came out for a long time every FPS was described as "DOOM-like" or a "DOOM clone". Because obviously shooting in first-person automatically made it "exactly like DOOM". Personally I don't see anything that screams "just like DOOM" in the SW3 footage but maybe it's just me.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm specifically referencing the gore and what looks like a glory kill in the trailer.

Anyway, none of us are kids. You know when they referred to Descent as a Doom clone? That one always threw me.

Heh, I've been going through some of my old gaming magazines recently - reading some of the opinions and game impressions from back then is quite hilarious. Fun fact: not a whole lot has changed in terms of things that people complain about (well, minus politics but let's not get into that).

Regarding the glory kill, I've seen some video preview of SW3 where the example is the accordion circus monster. This guy has some kind of a firework launcher that shoots colorful missiles and basically when he's damaged enough you can rip that gun out of him and use it for a short period of time. I don't think there's a dedicated "finishing move" system like in DOOM, it's more about maybe taking a powerup from a strong enemy. That's mostly my speculation though.

But in terms of gore SW2 was way ahead of DOOM Eternal - it had "destructible demons" four years earlier.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, we can tumble down that slippery slope all day long until we bump into the dismembered corpse of Soldier of Fortune. If you want to go into it, Doom 2016 came out before SW2 in the same year - it's not particularly surprising that both may have inspired each other's sequels in some way. I'm just noting that revelling in ridiculous marinara seems to be a thing both SW and Doom have been going full bore into, and I don't mind it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Well, we can tumble down that slippery slope all day long until we bump into the dismembered corpse of Soldier of Fortune.
    I laughed.

17min of gameplay coming right up: