Loot - 2468/2468
    Pockets Picked - None
    Secrets - None
    Locks Picked - 17
    Backstabs - 0, Knockouts - 0
    Damage dealt - 0, Damage taken - 0
    Healing taken - 0, Other Kills - 0, Bodies Discovered - 0
    Consumables - None

See the entire report with screenshots here!
    Loot list here.
    YouTube let's play here!

Comments:
    This is a horror mission for the 2012 fall contest, based on DrK’s map from 4 years prior, Greenbay. It is a tense and spooky mission, right up my alley. I had just played Greenbay about a week prior, so I was well familiar with the grounds, which helped a lot. This was the contest winner by the way, although I don’t think I’ve played any other missions from that event.

This was mainly a survival mission. I had to make my way to the Greenbay quarter and find 7 bags of food and water on the way. My exit was in the southwest part of the city, to the docks leading to Markham Isle. No loot requirement, although plenty of loot was found around the city.

Underground
    The biggest problem in the mission came in the first power room. Once flipping the lever to the door, a beast spawned behind me, seemingly breaking through the gate. It spawned in hunt mode, but quickly settled. I could escape up the stairs before it appeared and thus avoid getting spotted. The door took a good 30 seconds before fully opening. In order to sneak out without detection, I had to drop in behind the beast and nudge it forward. It had odd idle movements and occasionally did a sudden jerk. That is when, if pushing against it, a small shift forwards occurred. Once I got it over to the foot of the stairs, I could sneak out safely. The bigger problem, however, was when dropping into the waterway below. Unfortunately, it heard the splash. I surfaced to listen for alerts and could hear it stomping around. I then tried pushing it even further, all the way over to the far corner (image below), but to no avail. It heard me every single time. Its detection level must have been cranked up, as water sounds usually don’t travel that far. It was an early bust, but I kept pushing on.

Streets
    Most of the alleyways were easy to navigate, as the majority of the beasts patrolled lengthy distances. One apartment in the west gave me trouble though. As I walked into the bedroom to get a gold candlestick, a stationary beast spawned in the hallway outside (image below). In order to leave I had to use a ventilation shaft in the kitchen. The key to the kitchen door was in a pickable cabinet in the aforementioned bedroom. I found I could get the key, lock-block the kitchen door, and then return the key without ever triggering the beast, as long as I stayed off the carpet.

No issues until the mechanist library. When taking the docks key, Garrett uttered a line and a beast broke through the front doors downstairs. To avoid this I grabbed the key from the south side of the room. This did not trigger Garrett’s audio nor the beast, which was highly desirable. I lock-blocked the door to the docks and returned the key immediately.

The final problem was in the flooded waterway leading to the sewers. Four more beasts were released. They were super fast, but not very alert. I could hide behind the side pillars and with short intervals move towards the exit (image below). Did this without alerts.

Notes:
    - Had to nudge the first beast forward in order to leave through the door unseen. Supreme bust.
    - Couldn’t avoid a second level alert from the same beast as above. It always heard the splash into the water. Ghost bust.

UPDATE: Just a day after posting this report, WheretIB2 managed to find a way to avoid making a splash when falling into the water using flares. You can check out his video here. I have tried to replicate it, but been unable to. He says it took him a good 10 minutes of constant reloads to get it right, so it’s mostly down to chance. At least it means this mission can be Perfect Thieved. Great work!
    Last edited by klatremus; 22nd May 2022 at 18:09. Reason: New strat found by WheretIB2

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    I noticed another mistake on reported list. It states that it was me who reported Reverse Robbery. It was actually lordhern.
    Reverse Robbery has a new version (Directors Cut) that is available to report on.

Quote Originally Posted by lordhern View Post
    Reverse Robbery has a new version (Directors Cut) that is available to report on.
    Yes, I know. I'm ghosting it right now and report will appear soon.

REVERSE ROBBERY DIRECTOR'S CUT

Updated version of this mission has more loot and more secrets (I missed 2 of them), it has also couple of exclusive areas. The hardest challenge is getting Gilmor's collection. Room is patrolled by noble who stops in front of different treasures and watch them, then walks to different treasure. Room is visited by 2 knights (one goes to 1st floor and other visit small office). Knights can turn on light and light switch is located inside. There is no shadow in doorway, so you are exposed to enemies if you want to turn it off. Area near SW urn is well visible even if you turn off light. And the carpet at the middle is also a trap. If you walk on it you will make marble floor noise. So it's like there is no carpet. And that's not all, it's possible for noble to eventually get stuck in front of one of his treasures. In my run it was in front of golden skull. Because of that there was no way to enter gallery without being spot by noble.

So you must be fast with looting this room. First I moss floor to get quickly to SW urn and I also grab blue gem. Timing patrollers and noble is essential. When knights will leave room, turn off light and grab other 3 pieces of loot and quickly leave.

Other troublesome spot is in Ramirez Mansion. In his room is purse on high window. Problem is that the only shadow is near fireplace and you aren't safe near window. Ramirez can still spot you and he has short patrol route. So when he's starting walking away quickly climb to window, take purse, descend and hide in shadow. And you also need to worry about guard visiting this room.

In underground part of Mausoleum there is trap that closes wall you used to enter. To avoid triggering this trap you can stack objects to mantle on corner statue. To do it I used single flare. I went on "X" tile, turned away from statue and dropped flare while looking down. This way flare is gonna levitate in air and I can jump twice to position myself on it's highest spot. Next jump will be backward jump, so turn around towards statue and jump. This way backwards jump will turn into forward jump, which allows you to mantle on statue. The same trick I also used to grab secret purple box on top of entrance of Clock House. Also if you want to avoid 1st alert from haunts quickly open and close sarcophagus. Then you can open it safely.

Last tricky part is watchers control in Bank. Turning off levers will disable all watchers for 10 min. But if there is some time towards deadline and you are going to turn on watchers and then turn them off, then 1st time limit is still active, so watchers will be disabled only for remaining time instead of 10 min. For example: if watchers were deactivated for 8 min and you turn them back on and disable all of them, watchers will be disabled for remaining 2 min. In other words it's better to wait until levers will turn on automatically instead of doing it manually.

STATS:

Time: 2:10:21; Loot: 7556/8309
    Pockets Picked: 16/16; Locks Picked: 21
    Back Stabs: 0; Knock Outs: 0
    Damage Dealt: 0; Damage Taken: 0; Healing Taken: 0
    Innocents killed: 0; Others killed: 0
    Iron Beasts Destroyed: 0; Disabled: 0
    Secrets: 22/24

GHOST: SUCCESS
    PERFECT GHOST: POSSIBLE

CIRCLE OF STRAIN 1

Aborted by Vanguard due mission containing eternal darkness. Next year he returned with knowledge how to edit lighting in Dromed. And that's the reason why I decided to ghost this mission - to check what makes this mission so hard without editing lighting.

From what I noticed there is one vase (worth 100) on fireplace concealed by darkness. In Newdark you can mantle into windows of outside houses, so there is no need to picklock doors. Just like Vanguard I had the most problems with getting torc. I decided to take it from 2nd floor. Doused 1 torch behind stationary guard, then ran to dark spots on narrow path. In these dark spots you are safe from patroller. But you will need to wait for guards to calm down after 1st alert or they will spot you. Go to the end and drop down to grab torc, then mantle on concealed by darkness statue to return to 2nd floor. Also looks like there is a bug with torc objective - it gets completed whenever you complete loot objective.

STATS:

Time: 0:17:32; Loot: 2052/2052
    Pockets Picked: 3/6; Locks Picked: 6

PERFECT GHOST: SUCCESS

Updated with the last reports from Galaer. I also edited my report on A Better Tomorrow to inform readers about the way to avoid the Ghost bust in that mission. I have not been able to, but WheretIB2 showed me how. See the link at the end of that report.

If what we're currently discussing in the ghosting thread is indeed a bust, Galaer's report on Impious Pilgrimage should be marked as a failed ghost. Though, this bust is fairly easy to avoid by simply not completing this objective (it's optional) or even not talking to the shaman who gives it to you in the first place.
    Last edited by marbleman; 23rd May 2022 at 06:09.

I just read his report and although I don't have all the details since I haven't played the mission, it does sound like there are busts there, as you are instigating fights between enemies, and that is directly disallowed following rule #5 "Garrett must not cause suicides of AI or melees that intentionally cause AI to attack each other, with the exception of rule 12." Rule #12 doesn't apply because these fights aren't caused by scripts, as in you just walking into a room and starting a sequence, but this is where I don't know enough. Are you luring the elementals into a room with the craymen? The report says the craymen get alerted, but that is not from Garrett but from the fire elementals and undeads fighting, but those are fights you have to initiate. Am I correct here? I think you two are better at judging this since I haven't played it, but at least now I've tried to explain the principles.

PERFECT GHOST: POSSIBLE

@Galaer - you are correct that perfect ghost is possible as I was successful in my run.

my statistics.

Time: 2:51:33; Loot: 8309/8309
    Pockets Picked: 16/16; Locks Picked: 20
    Iron Beasts Destroyed: 0; Disabled: 0
    Secrets: 24/24

PERFECT GHOST: SUCCESS

The only real delta between my results compared to your run was the remaining loot, two additional secrets, I didn't bother to disable the watchers in the bank; plus I found "confession" evidence during my run and put it on the desk of the investigator in the police office for a hidden objective.

My method to ghost the lost treasure room is enter the room from the storage side, mantle onto the plinth then mantle up to the rafters while the noble is away and the guards elsewhere. once I get to a dark area I tossed the scouting orb into the doorway of the storage room to help time guard position before I started my looting of the tables. I used rope arrows to lower down and grab loot and return up to the rafters when the cost was clear.

I had no issues with the mausoleum crypt - I just used the available rubble to stack high enough to mantle onto the statue - the ghostly apparitions that appear momentarily on the coffin lid opening are scripted - not alerts.

I think my lower lock pick count might be the door between the church nave and the rest of the property as I went around the long way via the small cemetery back entrance

I had no issues looting the bank vault - I used the scouting orb I picked up to time my exit.
    Last edited by lordhern; 23rd May 2022 at 17:57. Reason: 1st edit :spelling, 2nd edit adding stats

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    I just read his report and although I don't have all the details since I haven't played the mission, it does sound like there are busts there, as you are instigating fights between enemies, and that is directly disallowed following rule #5 "Garrett must not cause suicides of AI or melees that intentionally cause AI to attack each other, with the exception of rule 12." Rule #12 doesn't apply because these fights aren't caused by scripts, as in you just walking into a room and starting a sequence, but this is where I don't know enough. Are you luring the elementals into a room with the craymen? The report says the craymen get alerted, but that is not from Garrett but from the fire elementals and undeads fighting, but those are fights you have to initiate. Am I correct here? I think you two are better at judging this since I haven't played it, but at least now I've tried to explain the principles.
    You frob a brazier and it starts spawning fire elementals. They go on patrol. Craymen also patrol, so eventually they see each other and fight.

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    In my defense I would say that upon reading rule #5 it never occurred to me that this rule is talking about not allowing infighting. I understood that you aren't allowed to create suicide of AI (for example by nudging it into water to drown) and then you can't use killed body to alert other AIs. For a very long time I didn't know about the real meaning of this rule. This rule is just very badly written. I don't understand why original ghosters decided to put every way about other ways of killing AI in one short sentence, which can be really easily misunderstood. I never even heard about word "melees", googling it now it says "confused crowd of people", but it doesn't explain very well what this rule is about. So I request rewriting of this rule.

And the carpet at the middle is also a trap. If you walk on it you will make marble floor noise. So it's like there is no carpet.
    I just checked and there is carpet sound on it. Maybe you just hit the edge, so you were on the marble but thought it was the carpet?

1st alert from haunts
    This is not a bust because the haunts are just phantoms like the pagan villagers from Trail of Blood.

@lordhern: If you include stats and quick list of main points then I can add it to the first post list.

@Galaer: The rule isnt badly written it's just you need to know the meaning of the word 'melee'. I guess we can include 'enemies fighting amongst themselves' as an extra description. It's not a commonly used word for non English speakers. I learned it early because I played Monkey Island growing up and they use the word a lot there.

@RippedPhreak: The phantoms in Trail of Blood never give first alerts so they cant be the same.

@klatremus: As old timer who understand original intent of this rule you may not realize that this rule may be confusing for new ghosters. So I propose this change:

"You aren't allowed to alert or kill enemies in any other way that allows you to do it without being seen or heard. With exception of rule #12:

A) Example of alerting AI without being seen or heard would be dropping killed or unconscious body in front of them to lure them out.

B) Example of killing enemies without being heard or seen would be nudging AI into water for them to drown.

C) You also aren't allowed to initialize any infighting. For example by opening door for opposite enemies to see each other or by creating AI to fight with other AI. Exception to this rule may be fight started by listening to scripted conversation."

@RippedPhreak: That's weird. I walked on edge of carpet, but also through middle between pedestals and I was still making marble noise.

The phantoms in Trail of Blood never give first alerts so they cant be the same.
    I still don't think it applies because it's not an "alert" but a scripted sound that fires even if the player is completely invisible, inaudible etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RippedPhreak View Post
    I still don't think it applies because it's not an "alert" but a scripted sound that fires even if the player is completely invisible, inaudible etc.
    When I played this mission I thought that haunts alert to the sound of opening sarcophagus, which was caused by me. This would be a supreme bust. But it's easy to haunts only appear when lid of sarcophagus is at the middle state of sliding the first time. So it's easy to avoid spawning them by quickly opening and closing sarcophagus.

I guess the scripted sound only fires when the sarcophagus cover reaches the fully opened position. Defeated again!

@Galaer: Can you move your suggestion comment over to the ghost discussion thread? Starting to get a bit too much fluff over rules in here. I'll post my answer over there.

Game: Thief 2
    FM: A Better Tomorrow

Ghost - Success
    Perfect Thief - Success
    Time - 31:52
    Loot - 2468/2468
    Pockets Picked - None
    Secrets - None
    Locks Picked - 13
    Consumables - None

YouTube let's play here!

Played this again but didn't go for Supreme. I just wanted to replicate WheretIB2's strat for avoiding the splash in the basement. You have to use flares and have them break the fall above the waterline. This was the only Ghost bust in my previous run, so now it was ghostable.

Congratulations on successful ghost run of this mission, klatremus. I was wondering if flares could allow player to fall down into water quietly. It's great to see video proof that it's possible.

Thank you, but credit to WheretIB2 for the strat. He has completed a lot of my ghost challenges so he's great with stuff like this. It's fun when the community together finds way to solve ghost problems. That's how it was back in the beginning and I wish it could be more like that now.

FM: Lost In the Far Edges [10 Rooms Contest]

Ghost - Failed
    Perfect Thief - Failed
    Supreme Ghost - Failed
    Perfect Supreme - Failed
    Time - 51:05
    Loot - 5600/5600 (Supreme: 5550)
    Pockets Picked - 0/1
    Secrets - 5/5
    Locks Picked - 1
    Consumables - None

See the entire report with screenshots here!
    Loot list here.
    YouTube let's play here, with small update here!

Comments:
    This is a mission I found very intriguing when I played it for the 10 Rooms Contest back in 2014. It’s the only mission by Soul Tear I’ve played. I’m not sure if all of his missions are this difficult, but this one is definitely not for beginners. I challenge everyone to finish this ironman style. Not only is it tough to navigate without plunging to your death, but the puzzles are excruciatingly cryptic and loot deviously well-hidden. You have been warned!

I had to steal a magical crystal from Gerem Crestov. Apparently it was protected by a complicated security system, which a nearby engineer had information on. I also had to obtain 5,000 in valuables, which ended up being almost 90% of all the loot in the mission; a ridiculously high requirement, even for expert (or Garrett). Lastly, I was to end the mission on Hope Street.

“Streets”
    The only problem before reaching Crestov’s was I had to break a boarded up window to a storage room just northeast of the starting building (image below). This was property damage and a Ghost bust. There was 1,250 worth of loot in there, and I could only skip 400 before missing the requirement. Tossing a crate at it was the intended method.

It was also a little bit tricky reaching Crestov’s window without leaving any vine arrows behind. I used two, one in the top railing and another in the ventilation unit below (image below). I could leap from the first and grab the vine along the way. The second I had to grab looking up, then drop directly onto the sill. There wasn’t enough space to really get a foothold, so I immediately pushed against the window in order to stay put. The glass would break on impact, so I tried to grab the arrow so that I landed on the lip to the side of the window instead. I got the hang of it after not too long.

Gerem Crestov
    Entering the building required breaking the window, another Ghost bust. All I had to do was walk into the glass and it shattered. The nearby guard died from this, but this was clearly a scripted event, plus it didn’t show up in the stats, so no further bust. Three other guardians and a monkey alerted to the noise of the window and came running. Although I’m quite certain they heard the commotion, this was also at least partly scripted, as they never returned to their original location once they settled down. The monkey was on a walkway and thus stayed put. I could hide in the dark corners by the first gate. I had to make sure the guardians stopped facing towards the south, which took quite a few reloads (image below). I could then sneak into the next room undetected.

[WheretIB2 found you can avoid breaking this window by climbing the rooftops and dropping directly down to the second window described further down. This also avoids "killing" the guardian by the window, plus it doesn't alert the other 3 guardians at all; it only alerts the monkey. However, it makes it very difficult to reach the ventilation system and the loot in there, because one of the guardians is in the way. The way to get around it is to drop down on top of it from the walkway above, then drop a few of your starting potions on the ground and land on them as you slide off its head. You'll get a first alert when opening the hatch, plus you can't go back to close all the vent grates, but at least you can get the loot this way.]

I then headed into the ventilation system. None of the enemies above seemed to hear me running around down there, despite being all metal. Needed to flip four levers to reach the end. Once there, I had a similar situation as before. Two vine arrows were needed to reach another windowsill. The arrows were harder to retrieve than last time, but I managed to do to without taking damage. This window also had to be broken by walking into it, and yet again the guardians and monkey alerted to the noise. This time, all the torches in the main hallway also went out. I’m not really sure if the lights going out counts as an additional Supreme bust. I think the rules was meant to prevent the player from deliberately putting out lights to further progress, not to penalize the player for triggering inevitable, scripted events. I ruled it as ok, but would like a second opinion. I definitely benefited from the darkness, as I had to revisit the hallway to get to the security room and this would’ve been impossible without lights on. The guardians stopped in said hallway, but couldn’t see me if I went slow (image below). I could now also get the diamond on the monkey’s walkway by mantling up the torch.

Getting into the security room involved climbing one of the gated walls. There was one missing a bar at the top, and that is what the player is supposed to notice. I remember needed a hint to get in there on my first playthrough 8 years back. Very cruel puzzle that, as there is no hint besides just having to notice the difference in the door texture, and it’s not like doors commonly can be climbed. I had to drop down on the other side and couldn’t crouch doing this, so the guardians heard it and alerted again. To avoid this I dropped some of my starting gear on the ground so I could land softly (image below). Used the same trick going back. Returned to the vent system to reset the levers from this side, then got the rest of the loot in the crystal room and teleported to the forest.

Forest
    Just for the record, this is the most beautiful and believable forest I’ve seen in any fan mission. It drew me right in. However, if you don’t have at least 3,250 loot before getting there, you can’t finish the mission. This is utter failure from a gameplay perspective and should’ve been fixed during testing. A portal that takes you back to the crystal room would’ve been the easiest solution, as you can go back to the start of the mission from there. I understand that the mission is supposed to be difficult, but that is just wrong. Additionally, a lot of the loot is very well hidden.

The only thing to report from this area was a nugget on a mushroom to the northwest (image below). An extremely well-camouflaged treebeast was stationed up against a tree just to the north, and it gave a growl when I got too close. It wasn’t close enough to lean in for the grab, so this had to be skipped for Supreme. The only way I managed to get it without a second level alert was coming from the west. Any other direction and the treebeast woke up, which indicated hunt mode. The run was utterly failed already, but it would’ve been nice to get all the loot for Supreme. There were also two more nuggets in a hole up a sloped base of a tree just east of here that was tough. I had to tap the run button climbing the slope in order not to get another first alert from the same treebeast as before. As long as I didn’t move too fast, I was ok.

Once I dropped into the final hole, unless I quickly moved into the deeper cave, the mission ended and the last new objective didn’t check off and that is a Supreme bust. Any incomplete objectives fails that mode. This one was more fun on the first playthrough than when ghosting.

Notes:
    - Had to break a boarded up window using a crate in order to meet the loot requirement. Ghost bust.
    - Had to break a window when entering Gerem Crestov’s. This also alerted 4 enemies to hunt mode. More Ghost busts. Can be avoided.
    - Broke a second window when entering the room with the crystal. The same 4 enemies again alerted to hunt mode. Even more busts. 3 of these alerts can be avoided, but the monkey always alerts.
    - Arguably, another Supreme bust occurred from the lights turning off when approaching the crystal. However, this is a scripted event from crossing an invisible line and not a result of Garrett’s interacting with anything.
    - Skipped a silver nugget on a glowing mushroom in the forest for Supreme. The nearby treebeast gave a first alert when I got too close.
    Last edited by klatremus; 27th May 2022 at 03:02.

FM: Ravensreach

Ghost - Success
    Perfect Thief - Success
    Time - 46:04
    Loot - 3085/3085
    Pockets Picked - 0/0
    Secrets - 7/7
    Locks Picked - 0
    Consumables - 1 water arrow

See the report in video format here: https://youtu.be/BsA5oezR8TA

FM: Ominous Bequest

Ghost - Failed
    Perfect Thief - Failed
    Time - 1:10:25
    Loot - 8000/8000
    Pockets Picked - 7/7
    Secrets - 8/8
    Locks Picked - 13
    Healing taken - 0, Other Kills - 0, Bodies Discovered - 1
    Consumables - 4 water arrows, 2 fire arrows

See the report in video format here: https://youtu.be/WmOikHjB4Uw

Notes
    - The two ultimate busts are cutting the wire to take the Horn of Dloren and using said horn to gain access to the Dawn Mages tomb, which alerts nearby burricks to combat mode. No way around either bust.
    - The body discovered is something I always get. Don't know what causes it.

FM: Broken Triad, Part 1: Arkford

Ghost - Success
    Perfect Thief - Success
    Time - 1:47:53
    Loot - 2010/2010
    Pockets Picked - 4/4
    Secrets - 8/8
    Locks Picked - 26
    Healing taken - 0, Other Kills - 0, Bodies Discovered - 1
    Consumables - 1 water arrow, 2 moss arrows

See the report in video format here: https://youtu.be/OYd1amksMhw

Notes
    - The body discovered is from people dying around town when you escape from the crematorium. It has nothing to do with me and is thus not a bust. It's even possible to avoid with a little save-scumming.

FM: Broken Triad, Part 2: Tempest Isle

Ghost - Success
    Perfect Thief - Success
    Time - 49:45
    Loot - 2010/2010
    Pockets Picked - 0/0
    Secrets - 8/8
    Locks Picked - 2
    Consumables - 1 spirit fire arrow

See the report in video format here: https://youtu.be/4L8fDrWhSiE
    Last edited by marbleman; 29th May 2022 at 15:35.

I was gonna ask if you posted the results of these runs, so thank you! I was planning on watching your Broken Triad videos this summer. Been too busy with my own videos lately.

I was gonna wait until I'm done with Godbreaker to post them all, but once I figured out that my LP of Impious Pilgrimage will be a failed ghost, I decided to do a separate, written report later since the bust there can be avoided.

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 510152021222324252627 LastLast