TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TG FM - Ascend The Dim Valley [25 July 2020]

Excellent Mission - One of the Best

3 hours of the most enjoyable game play ever. Fantastic architecture, interesting objectives and so many places to explore. Terrific use of height, climbing and every staircase was different than the others. Objects were placed perfectly and it really brought me back in time as it felt very authentic TG. Although I think it was linear, it really did not feel that way when I was playing which is a high compliment to the author. I was actually disappointed when it ended. I will probably play it again.

Congratulations to the author. Truly one of the best missions and may be my favorite of all time (I am partial to TG/TDP missions).

Thanks again and please start building another mission (hopefully a TG mission).

bbb

Quote Originally Posted by Cheela View Post
    Do you remember the little carrott garden near starting point, on th streets? There is a little door between the stairs and carrott field. (There is another way in from a nearby building). If you are in the wine cellar, just go straight to stairs inside and look at that ventillation grate on the wall. That leads to Woodworkers guild.
    But you have to find another way to the woodworkers apartment. Go outside, there is a big balcony high up on the S side of the building with a frobbable window, the bottom of balcony is made from iron but its side part /fence is from wood, rope up. Maybe you have to climb the opposite building (red semicircle above the door) extra hint: when inside the apartment, check the top floor as well carefully to go higher
    Way to that part of map /carrot field: little staircase in front of servants' quarter entrance in Vizier's home, or from supraward's home

Thank you! Turns out I've already been to the guild workshop itself (it's easy, there's an entrance direclty below the big green sign), I just didn't realise it was the carpenters' guild. In hindsight, I see that much of the interior decor is appropriate, but I was completely thrown off by the large wooden vats full of red stuff, which I figured were supposed to be grape presses, and "carpentry" was the last thing they reminded me of.

As for the apartment, here's an additional tip to future seekers: when you get on top of the house with the red semi-circle, there are actually TWO balconies reachable from there. The closer, lower and smaller one is much more obvious, but you're looking for the OTHER one, which is to the left and is very easy to miss.

I've written a Ricebug style walkthrough including lootlist for this mission, happy to post if DirkBogan grants permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkins View Post
    Many thanks for this intriguing mission, just a question: are textures meant to be pixelated?
    Is there anyway to revert this, so its back to smooth textures..?

I guess you have to edit fm.cfg file and set tex_filter_mode to 1

I just commented out the line with a semicolon, and same with these others:
    ;tex_filter_mode 0
    ;character_detail 0
    ;ambient_volume 800
    ;gamma 1.

These were things I prefer to leave alone or set at different values.

thanks.

I think I'm stuck and done discovering both mansions. Although I got an unpickable door in mansion 2, which I don't have a key for.

Where is the pagan sanctuary?

Thank you!

Gotta say this is an exceptionally well-designed mission, and original to boot

Walkthrough + Lootlist

Thanks to DirkBogan for checking for errors and proofreading.
    Last edited by fortuni; 6th Aug 2020 at 16:41.

I loved this gorgeous vertical city, fantastic athmosphere and gameplay. Thank you, DirkBogan!

I really liked this mission, the only thing I didn't like was the gamma setting override that made it too dark for me, I take the view that Garrett works mainly at night so he has dark adapted eyesight, so I crank my gamma up

Loved the atmosphere, looking up & thinking "You're having a laugh, I've got to get up there ?"

Good mission

I've played about 5 missions in the last couple of years (laptop age and other problems with it). Now I'm upgraded, and the moment I read there were only human enemies, I dived right in. I loved it, particularly the quirkiness. For me it was pretty much the perfect type of mission. I got stuck and had to reload in one spot when I got between a table and wall to the left of the Custodians' door. But that happens sometimes and I'm always saving so no big deal.

As I enjoyed this so much I decided to play Compulsory Egress straight after. Despite being your first, that was even more fun for me. That's probably down to TG being harder on my eyes so having so many T1/G nods in a T2 suits me really well. I can see technical progression between your first and second but the gameplay is spot on in both. I expect to replay both in the future.

Thank you and I wish you a very long and very productive Dromed career!

I would like to go upon this roof, but I cannot find a way. How to jump on that lamp?

https://ibb.co/6RC4NdH

Mantle it

@ ticky & Psychosis

I also found both of those lamps impossible to mantle up, can't say why some people can and others can't.

ticky, use the bridge to jump over to the red sloping roof, you can mantle up to the higher wall from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Psych0sis View Post
    Mantle it
    Oh yes, that's what I tried around a dozen times, right before posting here. Newmantle is enabled as well.

@fortuni, Thank you, will try! That seems to be my last hope.

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    I would like to go upon this roof, but I cannot find a way. How to jump on that lamp?

https://ibb.co/6RC4NdH
    From street enter house with growing plant. Go on 2nd floor and use window to get on red roof. Look up. There are ledges you can climb up on the roof with guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    From street enter house with growing plant. Go on 2nd floor and use window to get on red roof. Look up. There are ledges you can climb up on the roof with guard.
    Yes, that one also seems to be working, thank you.

Thank you all for your feedback, both praiseworthy and constructive! I'm sorry I haven't been able to address your responses individually.

EDIT 17-08-20: This information is for v1.0; v1.1 solves this issue.
    IMPORTANT: I'm sad to say I've made a frustrating discovery: for some installations, many stock textures are not displaying correctly, even without any graphics mods enabled.
    Please place the contents of this .7z in the \fam folder of your Ascend The Dim Valley installation, even if you are using graphics mods
    This will ensure that the correct Thief 1 textures are displaying for those who wish to have the intended experience, and make no visual difference for graphics mod users.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AhJ...X1-G0OPT-/view

Also, if you are playing on a version pre-1.26, the shadows will appear pixellated and blocky. This was not intentional, so 1.26 or above is mandatory.
    Last edited by DirkBogan; 16th Aug 2020 at 19:14.

@ticky & Fortuni

Try to do a straight run on top of the table to the wall lamp, you should mantle it every single time -> https://i.imgur.com/TflUW3Q.png

However, it just occurred to me you guys are probably not playing on TFIXlite, and thus have been hit with the Voodoo47 special surprise of him deciding what objects should and shouldn't be mantleable, so perhaps that is why neither of you could not do it. (The other possible reason would be skill, but I think anyone can make jumps as simple as this)

EDIT: I just did a fresh install of TFIX leaving the mods ticked on, and now I can not mantle the lights as well. Lol
    Last edited by Psych0sis; 9th Aug 2020 at 04:31.

Here's a protip for all those who play with TFix.

In your root Thief Gold folder open OSM > gamesys.dml

Find the following part
    //sewer lids should not be mantleable
    +ObjProp -3628 "PhysCanMant"
    {
    "" false
    }
    //and elec wall lights as well
    +ObjProp -468 "PhysCanMant"
    {
    "" false
    }
    //and torches as well
    +ObjProp -26 "PhysCanMant"
    {
    "" false
    }
    //CollectorTower ditto
    +ObjProp -437 "PhysCanMant"
    {
    "" false
    }
    //SpotStreetlamp ditto
    +ObjProp -2061 "PhysCanMant"
    {
    "" false
    }
    //Streetlamp ditto
    +ObjProp -222 "PhysCanMant"
    {
    "" false
    }
    //HangSpotFlush ditto
    +ObjProp -2742 "PhysCanMant"
    {
    "" false
    }
    //no mantle for transformers either
    +ObjProp -415 "PhysCanMant"
    {
    "" false
    }
    and delete it.

Quote Originally Posted by Psych0sis View Post
    @ticky & Fortuni
    However, it just occurred to me you guys are probably not playing on TFIXlite, and thus have been hit with the Voodoo47 special surprise of him deciding what objects should and shouldn't be mantleable, so perhaps that is why neither of you could not do it.

EDIT: I just did a fresh install of TFIX leaving the mods ticked on, and now I can not mantle the lights as well. Lol
    Voodoo messing with players and authors at the same time by deciding how he thinks they should experience the game......what an outrageous slur on the most modest member of this community....

PS. Thanks for the solution, I have full TFix installed with no enhancements

Good thing TFix was able to fix that glaring flaw with this mission

Expert, 3 hours 23 minutes, 5152 loot.

Awesome concept, awesome execution. It's like you're climbing up into the level's skybox. Devilishly twisty, but with a strong sense of progression (especially whenever you step out onto a balcony), and I was able to understand the level as a single interconnected space. There's some great sneaking indoors, too, with lots of chances to dart from shadow to shadow as footsteps echo around you, through a variety of creative layouts. My favorite room, aesthetically: the Quarters of the Supraward. Not sure why, it just felt right.

I think the lighting in the central area looks great. IMO one of the key elements of the Thief 1 aesthetic is "low poly, starkly and dramatically lit" and the initial view delivers. It's cold and looming. I also liked the way the flashbombs are hidden (well, the three I was able to find, anyway) and the light/shadows projecting out from the Iron Facade room at the end.

EDIT: And the Keeper area! That gave me a couple surprises. I tried putting the non-loot medallion from the Supraward Keeper's place on the pedestal, like I was doing some kind of Indiana Jones golden idol switcharoo, but to no avail.

As for the readables, I understand people not finding them to be super accessible, but I appreciated the attempt at realism and making the documents feel plausibly integrated into the world. The armistice is a good example of this, I think.
    Last edited by Wormrat; 11th Aug 2020 at 16:27.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast