TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Binding a sound-emitting object to the player?

Binding a sound-emitting object to the player?

Hi all,

I want to fix a looped sound-emitting object to the player so that the sound follows them wherever they go, it's essentially for ambient music.

I tried linking with StartingPoint -> PhysAttach -> an ambientSound, with no luck. Sound played, but was static to original location.

I also tried StartingPoint -> Contains -> an ambientSound, with various link datas. Player spawned with a red cube, when dropped the sound would sometimes start to play.

For further context, this is for a dynamic music system I am planning with lgscript, I hope to transition musical loops by setting the volume of looped sound-emitters that are fixed to the player.

Thanks!

Can you not just tick the environmental flag? Then it will play at max volume regardless of where the player is. That might not be a good solution depending on what you have set up for the dynamic music.

I remember an old mission called The Box which had dynamic music - maybe have a look how it was done there.

ZylonBane
    lgscript? Seriously? That's been pretty much completely obsoleted by NewDark's Squirrel support.

If you use a VOtrap itll be like Garrett keeps saying the sound to himself. Would that work? That’s how I did the eternal laughter in HHHH.

I'd never heard of Squirrel scripting in NewDark before, is that the tnhscript script described here? https://dromed.whoopdedo.org/tnhscript/index
    I wasn't sure which of the modules listed there is the best, I just thought Lua looked straightforward. Are there performance differences?

@nicked - I'll check out that FM, environmental sounds are not ideal just because the transition is very sudden, I want to see if it's possible to increment/decrement the volume of loops for a smoother and more controlled transition
    @trefoilknot -
    spoiler:
    it depends if the laughter was a loop or an overlapping sample

in this case the sounds need to be able loop seamlessly.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by DIAMONDVEHICLE View Post
    I'd never heard of Squirrel scripting in NewDark before
    (backs slowly away from thread...)

There's a thread here with info about squirrel: https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...light=squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    (backs slowly away from thread...)
    Sounds like my novicehood is showing

Any links to the Squirrel scripting are appreciated. I guess that means no need for a 3rd party module - that's great if so!

EDIT: nicked, I see the link - thank you!

If you look at the First City Bank OM you can see where non-environmental ambients were used for transitioning to environmental ambients. Every entrance except for one was set up this way.