TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief 1 & 2 VR?

Thief 1 & 2 VR?

Is there a way to play Thief 1 & 2 using my Oculus Rift S?

Nope. Doesn't work.

Even with VorpX wrapper, it cannot put inself between renderer. You cannot get neither stereo picture, nor geometry head tracking. The only chance is to wait until someone ports the game to vr-friendly engine.

But it worked pretty fine in stereo with nVidia 3dvision! (Just rename the exe file to haloce.exe or thief3.exe) Until they cut the support of the technology at all.

There is a VR mod for The Dark Mod, which right now will be the closest you'll get you playing Thief in VR. I haven't tried it out yet, but you can find the details here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamVR/com..._stealth_game/

Oh well, Ill give The Dark Mod VR mod a try

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valet2 View Post
    Nope. Doesn't work.

Even with VorpX wrapper, it cannot put inself between renderer. You cannot get neither stereo picture, nor geometry head tracking. The only chance is to wait until someone ports the game to vr-friendly engine.

But it worked pretty fine in stereo with nVidia 3dvision! (Just rename the exe file to haloce.exe or thief3.exe) Until they cut the support of the technology at all.
    What does Nvidia 3d vision look like? I have it but, dont I need a 3d display?

You have to use an active 3dvision-ready monitor. Some have built-in emmitter and ir-driven glasses, some don't, and you have to use wireless radio-emmitter and compatible glasses. I do really recommend using the genuine nVidia stuff, it's not that expensive, but made with a good overall quality.

The technology is old as mammoth but this had been stardartized so anyone willing to make a stereo-3d stuff would follow the rules and not take something unique out of the air. The video driver creates a second camera in the 3D world with a little horizontal offset, so you have a steropair. The next step is to make each of your eye getting its own image, and nVidia uses the shutter glass technology: your monitor shows picture for each of your eyes one after another, and the glasses block the light coming to each of the eyes in opposite order, perfectly in sync with the monitor. And you get a stereoscopic picture right from your flat screen.

The framerate of the monitor should be doubled, so the 3d-ready monitor is capable of refreshing at 120 Hz. Nowadays almost every monitor can handle that, but back in the days that was something unbelievable. I don't know about the most recent 3d-ready monitors, but what came in early 2010's required either displayport connection (because hdmi couldn't handle the data bandwidth) or dual-link dvi (with aaaall the connectors present in the cable).

About the compatibility. All the games designed with stereo-3d in mind work flawlessly. Other games might have some artifacts due to various tricks being used to render the picture: you might get the stero image, but the sky would be on the wrong depth, or the lighs will be only in one eye, or the shadow would be somewhere else, or the hud will go off screen.

But SS2 and Thief worked almost perfectly with 3dvision. I've been playing SS2 in stereo for quite a lot, and some places looked so beautiful and so realistic! Too bad nVidia ended the support of this technology, so I will have to build a separate PC setup for older games, some Core2Quad with GF465, older driver from 2018 or even earlier, and a 3d-monitor which now has no use.

Oh, for ones who has some experiene playing games in stereo-3d, there is a way to run older games which work on direct3d 1-8 (which is not supported by 3dvision) or even glide: use the dgVoodoo2 wrapper. I've completed both classic Max Payne games in stereo, and it was amazing!

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Valet2 View Post
    Even with VorpX wrapper, it cannot put inself between renderer.
    What.

Apparently SS2 and Thief behave differently with VorpX.

https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...=1#post2435928

I see exactly zero eye separation in that SS2 vorpx footage.

There's no stereoscopic picture. It uses a z-buffer depth detection which doesn't look any good. Also, there's no geometry insertion of the hmd, and the only head movement is just a mouselook simulation. https://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/a...work-properly/

In brief, it's just bad. Even SS1EE can be handled with vorpx more or less okay. https://www.vorpx.com/forums/topic/s...hock-enhanced/
    Last edited by Valet2; 31st Jul 2020 at 15:13.

Well, here's what I can do with ddfix. Plenty of issues, obviously. Some easy-ish to fix, some not.

What about this site reshade.me/compatibility they have a VR program like vorpx and the Thief games are on that compatibility list as 'good' except it says something about
    'No depth buffer access'.

'No depth buffer access' means no 3D.

It works awesome on monitor with 3D, but totally flat with HMD. Dunno why.

I guess the Looking Glass gang need to get back together to make a VR version of Thief Gold, TMA, or a new game like them with updated graphics. I like playing these FMs and I have been since I found them in 2007, but VR would add to the already immersive awesome Thief series and FMs, including T2X.

After having played HL: Alyx (not that I doubted before that), I can say that the old Thief games would be perfect for VR, if the head-tracking and controls were ported over.
    Picking up loot - perfect for VR (well, except maybe tiny things at ground level).
    Pick-pocketing - great in VR.
    Bow-shooting - made for VR.
    Leaning - great in VR.
    Mantling - yes.
    Rope-climbing - check.
    Black-jacking - exactly the kind of thing that works well in VR.
    Spatial audio - heck yeah.
    Shadows - maybe not on an LCD screen, unfortunately.

I want to go to there.

ZylonBane
    You kind of forgot the most important one:
    First-person movement - nausea-inducing in VR

That's too simplistic. It's not the same for everyone, not to the same degree, and people seem to be able to develop something akin to 'VR legs' (though there is the question whether they'll want to stick with it until they do). Added to which, by now developers have a bunch of tricks that can mitigate and minimise nausea, plus Thief is a relatively slow, methodical game for the most part, which helps a lot. There are also various different ways of doing movement in-game that can be experimented with.

Personally, I wonder which aspects of first-person VR play are the most prone to causing nausea. While I've mostly been okay with it (i.e. I almost never feel any discomfort, and it's been like that from the beginning), fast, slidey movement is probably less than ideal, and for me at least it makes a huge difference whether I play sitting and turn using the controllers or whether I stand (my preferred way of playing) and turn by, well, turning.

The only times I ever got nausea were due to lag and reprojection. When everything is smooth (120 Hz is truly a pleasure), I can play for hours.
    Now on the other hand, I don't know for others but I have a hard time maintaining immersion in first person when using fluid movement with the stick, even though it's infinitely more practical than teleport. Especially when room scale is here to taunt you, yet you are forced to abstract larger movement. Even worse is that I know there's no real alternative as VR treadmills seem like a terrible idea that will never get anywhere.

Anyway I'm all-in for Thief VR too. I really need to install the Dark Mod VR.

Have you ever tried Natural Locomotion? You can demo it on Steam. It doesn’t work equally well with all games, but at least with Skyrim VR it was a wonderful addition for me.

No, thanks, I'll install it and report back. The only thing I tried which came close was arm gesture locomotion in L.A. Noire VR and while it was interesting, I found it too strange to adopt.