TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: The Affairs of Wizards - update v1.3 - 30 Aug 2020

The Affairs of Wizards - update v1.3 - 30 Aug 2020

I've released two small updates to this mission, which fix some of the long-standing bugs, and also add subtitles to the infamously hard-to-understand voice acting.

The new version of the mission requires NewDark v1.27 or higher.

(These two updates were originally posted in the FM's help thread, but it occurs to me that likely few people will see them in there, so I've made a new thread.)

Download The Affairs of Wizards, version 1.3

Changes v1.3:
    • Added subtitles for all spoken exposition.
    • Fixed thieves sometimes walking through walls.
    • Fixed the drop button not working with flash bombs.

Changes v1.2:
    • Updated lighting with 32-bit NewDark lightmaps.
    • Adjusted location of dumb waiter key to make it more visible.
    • Gave all keys more descriptive names.
    • Fixed wall with incorrect physics in gallery room, and patch of floor with wrong material sound.
    • The hidden objective is now optional.
    • Adjusted mages to not go up to alert 2 when dousing a torch.
    • Fixed timing on fire mage's reaction to torches being doused, if triggered more than once.
    • Tweaked stairs to prevent accidental landing-from-jump sounds when trying to walk down them.
    • Made the "Hmm" hint about the bridge easier to trigger.
    • Fixed missing material sound on broken bridge.
    • Fixed Vince's patrol route to make it less likely for him to get stuck walking into the mess hall table.
    • Rewrote Edmund's diary to be a less silly (and to use proper spelling, as the intentionally-bad phonetic spelling is very unfair to non-native English speakers.)
    • A few other minor tweaks.

The original thread for the mission is here.

Perfect timing, was looking for a mission to replay

It's been a long time since I played this mission. I think I should have an affair.

The new "guard diary" text makes less sense (and its less funny) now. The useless ring's purpose now goes unexplained too.

I think the old text was fine, i would sugest reverting back to it (fixing the broken english, if you must). It was one of the memorable funny notes about the mission and something that made it stood out.

Or just get rid of the useless brass ring, cause otherwise people who play the new version will just be confused.

Otherwise, the mission is as cool as it was before, its the kind of mission i wish a whole series was made out of it

I agree with this would be an awesome theme for more missions!! The updated version looks Fantastic!! just wished it was longer.
    Thanks
    pwl

I changed the diary because it was making too many fourth-wall-breaking jokes at the expense of fan mission tropes, which while amusing to people who've played a lot of missions, wasn't actually a diary that a real person would have written.
    I left the ring there because of two reasons - one, because it makes sense for a guard to have a cheap ring and not an expensive gold one, which also subverts that cliched FM trope, and two, because it has a unique and interesting "bug" that I intentionally didn't fix, being that it's the only item in the mission which persists through portal journeys, allowing you to drop it in one area and find it in another, revealing how the mission is put together from a technical perspective.

Just finished and enjoyed it.

I don't like the idea of putting new textures in for the sake of it when we have the texture mods. The mission looks like I had the EP. Nothing necessarily wrong, but taffers who like the stock resolution textures will think worse of it and taffers who want the higher resolution textures could just use the EP (and would already be doing so).

The "explosion" sprites above the lava do look very out of place, though, like little bombs going off.

I hope you work on new missions though as you have lots of potential

That mission has hardly any original resources? Considering the number of high-res custom textures in the mission, any low-res stock resource would have looked extremely out of place.
    (Also, a bit weird to complain about the creator of the EP using EP textures in his own mission?)

I believe the explosions were based on actual footage of real-world lava, which does have frequent explosions across its surface (though they wouldn't look quite like that.)

You're right, I've forgotten the previous version and just double-checked (which I should have done before posting).

>(Also, a bit weird to complain about the creator of the EP using EP textures in his own mission?)

I didn't know you're the author.

>I believe the explosions were based on actual footage of real-world lava, which does have frequent explosions across its surface (though they wouldn't look quite like that.)

I've been looking at lava videos on YouTube but can find nothing like the comical explosions in the FM. They look like GIFs from the 90s.

That's because they are - they're explosion animations from System Shock 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    That's because they are - they're explosion animations from System Shock 2.
    Last March an SS2 mod-pack was released by a user, Vurt, at https://www.nexusmods.com/systemshock2/mods/5?tab=files
    One of them is an explosion mod for bitmap\txt16\ in dds format
    Not sure if there would be cross compatibility or what other SS2 mods/tweeks might work on ND for T2, but I wanted to add my 2 cents (keep the change)

Hello, having trouble with the fire key, after I douse the fire elemental, the key disappears!

Any suggestions?