TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ninth Generation consoles (PS5, Xbox Series X/S, etc)

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Ninth Generation consoles (PS5, Xbox Series X/S, etc)

MS announced the prices for their new gen consoles and the release date.

Xbox Series X: $499 (ERP)
    Xbox Series S: $299 (ERP)

Release date: November 10
    https://archive.vn/qQT2F
    The big deal for this generation of consoles seems to be just stuff that PC has been doing for ages now: SSDs and ray tracing, big yawn there. I think I'll just pass on Sony's offering and just get whatever Nintendo puts out next. Xbox releases all of their first party games on PC day 1; Sony will likely start putting them on PC after a PS exclusivity window (if Horizon: Zero Dawn PC is any indication); the majority of niche Japanese third party games like Nihom Falcom titles and Yakuza series come to PC now. The only thing keeping non-Nintendo consoles relevant is the exclusive software that they hold hostage IMO.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 9th Sep 2020 at 16:43.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Too early to tell, but I'm leaning towards PS5 at the moment.

Chakat sex pillow
    MS is really leaning in on the value proposition this time, which is bound to be rustling Sony's feathers a bit. Competition is good. Sony seems to have gotten a bit of their PS3-era ego back, so this is timed nicely to wake them up.

The positioning is interesting - MS has the Series S that's affordable, the Series X that's for enthusiasts, and the PS5 slots somewhere in the middle. It's almost like we've PC hardware tiers in the console market. How Sony is gonna sell it should be something to watch, now that MS has made their move.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    The positioning is interesting - MS has the Series S that's affordable, the Series X that's for enthusiasts, and the PS5 slots somewhere in the middle.
    Agreed. Series S seems like the perfect console for a child or a student, especially when paired with Game Pass.

It always seems like too much is made of hardware specs just before a new generation of consoles launch. Seems to me like it's more about the games. Is there really that much difference in power between a Series X and PS5?

I've been a Playstation guy for the past 15-20 years, but mainly because of their game library, not because of...teraflops.

Chakat sex pillow
    Sure, and we can talk about that when there actually are some.

Launch titles for consoles are almost always underwhelming - there's usually maybe one or two really good titles, and the rest aren't particularly memorable. I usually go Sony because they have some of the best first party studios on the planet, but outside of R&C, nothing in their recent PS5 blow-out looks particularly novel in terms of using the technology in fun ways. Heck, we don't even know if R&C: Rift Apart will be available at launch.

Having said that, my plan is to give it a year or two and see how it goes. I've always supplemented my console hardware with a PC for multiplat titles. Now, while MS is bringing all of their games from their new studio acquisitions to PC as well, we've got the small problem of not having dedicated decompression hardware for SSD data like the PS5/Xboxen do. Nvidia's got their new IO thing that'll use the GPU to do that along with MS's DirectStorage, and that raises bigger questions. In the end, PC ports are going to be in a very interesting place between now and 2022/3.

Couldn't PCs just use more RAM to compensate?

Chakat sex pillow
    Yup. Speculation says that route could mean requirements like 32-64GB of RAM.

Well, 32GB RAM is not too expensive these days (I think I recently saw a deal for a pair of 16GB DDR4-3600 sticks at less than 100 bucks), though looking at the last month's Steam survey, most people still have 16GB in their system or less.

I'm usually a late adopter to new consoles anyway, I didn't buy my PS4 until the Pro came out. Waiting a couple of years lets the game library build up and also for pricing to come down on everything. Plus the used game market is always big for me, and there will be a lot available 1-2 years after launch. I suppose my opinion on all of this could change somewhat depending on what Sony ends up doing with PSVR2 though.

LittleFlower
    I'm not gonna buy a console. But I might buy a nVidia RTX3080. My gtx1080 is now more than 4 years old.

The problem is: why should I buy a RTX3080 ? What (new) games do look so good, and make use of new technology like DLSS and ray-tracing, that a RTX3080 would actually make sense ? The games I've played recently are DS3 (again), GTA5 (trying to finish) and TW3 (dlcs). Those run 60+ fps @2560x1080 on my gtx1080. I think Horizon Zero Dawn might be really good-looking and might be worth a RTX3080. But I can't think of any other games. Suggestions ?

Chakat sex pillow
    Considering your general dismissal of most games, I'm not sure there's a game with RT right now that'd keep you interested for long.

Horizon Zero Dawn, while very pretty, has had a pretty poorly optimised port unlike Death Stranding; however, a 1080 should run it at 1080p60 as long as you have the CPU for it. The game follows the pretty standard Ubisoft game template with some surface-level wrinkles to it, and what people say is a generally better-written narrative (I'm only about 5 hours in and nothing of it has seemed very special so far, but I'm open to that changing).

Cyberpunk 2077 is the big one people are gearing up for. Might want to see what Big Navi has to offer first, though.

I am holding out hope that Nintendo will offer another home game console someday. My family likes gathering around the TV to play. We've got an original Wii, an Xbox, and a PS3. The Wii gets 90% of the playing time, the Xbox 10%. I don't have any interest in portable gaming and it's not something I want my kids taking with them when we travel. I didn't buy a Switch because it's awkward in its docked configuration, especially for small hands.

The Wii was brilliant and a huge success. I wish they had a proper follow-up to it, and kept the portables separate.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Cyberpunk 2077 is the big one people are gearing up for. Might want to see what Big Navi has to offer first, though.
    Yep, and I'm going to kick myself if the 5700XT I just bought this year can't handle it at 3840x1600 with middle of the road settings.

Don't have a lower resolution monitor lying around somewhere?

PC Gamering Smartey Man

NEWS: PlayStation 5 Showcase coming Wednesday, September 16 at 1pm PDT.

I don't see the discless PS5 model matching the Xbox Series S price of $300 USD. My guess is that it won't be cheaper than $400 USD.
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    I didn't buy a Switch because it's awkward in its docked configuration, especially for small hands.
    Docked Switch isn't awkward in the slightest IMO. It's perfectly natural as a stationary, TV bound device. Plugging gamepads via USB is seamless, you can even buy 3rd party Bluetooth adapters to use Xbox/PS pads. Switch really is the best of both worlds.

And no, Nintendo will probably never make a strictly home console again. The Japanese home console market has become a niche now, they're all about portability.

Also LOL at the thought of small hands struggling with handheld mode Switch. It's the opposite, my guy. I bought a protective case with grips to accomodate my large hands.

Still Subjective
    I'll likely get a PS5, disc version if it really is backward compatible with all PS4 games.

In fact, I WILL get one but question is when. I'm only bothered about the games too and I've still got PS4 games to finish so it'll be all down to when there is a must have title on the PS5.

Is Cyberpunk coming to console? Seems like a PC game for me. I've a GTX1070 but nothing that seems to push it, at all. But then I've not bought a new PC game in an age.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, it's coming to PS4/Xbox. They're also prepping a PS5/XSx version for it, which will be a free upgrade for owners of the previous generation version.

Having said that, the PC version will probably be the best way to play it if you have the hardware for it. I'm not fussed about raytracing at the moment, so I'm going to wait and see if the delays for optimisation panned out well enough. Given TW3 was demanding but also quite scalable, the odds are CP2077 will be a well-engineered game for the varieties of hardware it'll run on.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Docked Switch isn't awkward in the slightest IMO. It's perfectly natural as a stationary, TV bound device. Plugging gamepads via USB is seamless, you can even buy 3rd party Bluetooth adapters to use Xbox/PS pads. Switch really is the best of both worlds.

And no, Nintendo will probably never make a strictly home console again. The Japanese home console market has become a niche now, they're all about portability.

Also LOL at the thought of small hands struggling with handheld mode Switch. It's the opposite, my guy. I bought a protective case with grips to accomodate my large hands.
    A bit of clarification is in order. The Switch pro controller is a little too big for my kids hands. The joy cons are not. But the joy cons are awkward to use when separated as simple multiplayer controllers. And unlike the Wii, most Switch games seem to be designed around stick control rather than motion control. It simply doesn't offer the casual, multiplayer, family fun factor that the Wii does.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    A bit of clarification is in order. The Switch pro controller is a little too big for my kids hands. The joy cons are not. But the joy cons are awkward to use when separated as simple multiplayer controllers. And unlike the Wii, most Switch games seem to be designed around stick control rather than motion control. It simply doesn't offer the casual, multiplayer, family fun factor that the Wii does.
    Have your child use the Joycon, have adults (and older children) play with proper gamepads. Took 30 seconds for me to come up with a solution, this shit ain't rocket surgery. Got any more excuses?

Still Subjective
    Mind your own business if you're going to be an arse about it Eva.

As I already explained, the joy-cons are awkward to use individually because the controls aren't spaced evenly. With the right joy-con, they're offset to the left, and with the left joy-con, they're offset to the right. And they're not interchangeable. Two identical controllers with proper control locations would be preferred. And yes, I know I could go aftermarket. But that brings me back to my other point - Nintendo has been moving away from the creative and intuitive control schemes that made the Wii so fun and accessible in the first place. We have games that use single-axis motion control, multi-axis motion control, two-hand motion control, screen pointing, D-pad control, joystick control, the balance board, and the mat. If we wanted to limit ourselves to games designed for the typical Playstation/Xbox dual-stick controller layout, then we'd just move up to a newer Playstation or Xbox. There is a reason why, in our family at least, the Xbox only gets 10% of the playing time and the PS3 zero.

I just don't see a reason to buy the Switch unless we're going to use it as a portable, which we are not. I'm happy to let my kids play games, but I'm trying to keep it a fun activity that we do together as a family, or with friends. That's what consoles were originally designed for. Playstation and Xbox have become like PCs, you can even use a keyboard and mouse with some games. Nintendo hit it out of the park with the NES and again with the Wii, but now their focus is portable.
    Last edited by heywood; 14th Sep 2020 at 11:08.

Still Subjective
    I hear you on not liking certain controls - I really don't like the XBox controllers - but if you're insisting that gaming is a group activity no one is playing Zelda games are they? Which is a shame.

They do sometimes play single-player games, but they do it together, one watching the other and taking turns and I sometimes help out in hard spots. They've also wanted to play some first person PC games, so I got them some walking sim type games that don't have overly violent or mature content. Most of the time, I can get them to cooperate, with one on the keyboard and one on the mouse. Sometimes that breaks down and they start arguing over what to do. When that happens, they have to stop playing or take turns. At this young age, they need to learn compromise and cooperation and generally develop their social skills. I don't want them to just disappear into their own little game worlds. I'm sure that by the time they are teenagers, my son will want to hole up in his room and play Xbox or whatever, and my daughter will want to spend all her time on social media. But right now, we try to do things as a family.

Still Subjective
    No gender stereotyping here, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast