TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Announcing The One Million Units FM Contest - Oct 1-Dec 31

Announcing The One Million Units FM Contest - Oct 1-Dec 31

Announcing the “One Million Units” Thief Fan Mission contest

• The contest will run for 3 months, from October 1st through December 31st
    • The idea is to create a mission that will not exceed one million total Dromed units in size. This is a throwback to the types of contests run in the early days of Dromed by Komag.
    • Missions can be created for Thief 1, Thief Gold, of Thief 2.
    • Authors may use any resources they choose, this is not a stock contest.

To reiterate - Your completed mission must fit inside a single rectangular area brush that contains a volume of no more than one million Dromed units.

Some examples…
    100 x 100 x 100 - Cube
    124 x 248 x 32 - Long and flat
    88 x 88 x 128 - Vertical

To help put this into perspective, the smallest mission in the last contest (Fierce Competition) was 7 million units. So you’re looking at something approximately 15% of that size.

For inspiration, you might want to take a look at some of the standout missions from previous contests. All of the missions listed below will fit into the space allowed for this contest, most with plenty of room to spare.

Into The Maelstrom by Morrgan/Vigil
    The Tower by Lady Rowena
    Temple of the Tides by Nameless Voice
    The Hightowne Museum by Spitter
    The Relic by Timon
    Ashes & Dust by Random Taffer
    The Affairs of Wizards by Nameless Voice
    Old Comrades, Old Debts by Bukary
    Deceptive Perception by William The Taffer
    The Burrick’s Head Inn by Yandros
    Keyhunt by Eshaktaar
    The Night Shift by Ottoj55

Also keep in mind that you do not have to use all the allotted space available, and can choose to go with something smaller instead.

Any blue rooms or other behind the scene stuff that will not be visible to the player can exist outside of the million unit area.

Voting - We’ll rig up a voting system similar to what we’ve done for previous contests, based on three categories:

1) Best use of space
    2) Design/Construction
    3) Atmosphere/Story

Good luck to all. PM me if anything is not clear or if you have any questions. Also, not required, but if you intend on joining the contest, please send me a PM so I can keep track of all potential entrants.
    Last edited by Brethren; 3rd Oct 2020 at 13:32.

Awesome

Good luck to anyone that enters!

Lovely - good luck all

Can't wait. Very great idea!

I am excited for this contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Voting - We’ll rig up a voting system similar to what we’ve done for previous contests, based on three categories:

1) Best use of space
    2) Design/Construction
    3) Atmosphere/Story
    The voting categories don’t appear MECE to me. Isn’t good use of space a sign of good design/construction? Can these two categories really be scored separately?

They seem quite distinct to me. One could imagine a packed map filled with lots of nooks and crannies to explore, but all made of boring and badly textured cubes. I would score that high on use of space and low in design/construction.

Flip side, consider a gorgeous ballroom, 96 by 96 by 96. It’s impeccably detailed and the brushwork is intricate and interesting, with thoughtfully done textures. That would be a horrible use of space but great construction.

In practice, will the two be orthogonal? No, probably not. But I think that’s generally true regardless of the categories. Skill and determination will tend to have a highly correlated effect on all measures of assessed quality.
    Last edited by trefoilknot; 2nd Oct 2020 at 10:10.

I admit I didn't put a ton of thought into the voting for the contest - to me the whole voting process is just an afterthought, the real purpose of the contest is to get some quality missions released for everyone to play.

That said, I think trefoilknot hit the nail on the head in his post above.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    ...to me the whole voting process is just an afterthought, the real purpose of the contest is to get some quality missions released for everyone to play.
    Precisely.
    Thank you for organising this contest, Brethren. Twenty-two years later and the lure of the shadows is still hard to resist. I know there are many lurking out there who have dabbled in the dark arts of DromEd. This is a wonderful opportunity to show off your talent!
    Good luck to one and all!

good luck to everyone

also how many units is dewdrop?

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    also how many units is dewdrop?
    I see... Someone wants to make a dewdrop warehouse Scrooge McDuck style with an important key at the very bottom, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by A.Stahl View Post
    I see... Someone wants to make a dewdrop warehouse Scrooge McDuck style with an important key at the very bottom, huh?
    i am just curious how many units a single dewdrop is?

Yeah, of course, you are. Who am I to claim otherwise? Just a simple question without any second thoughts...

I hope we will have at least one or two new missions in the end...

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dewdrop_height.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	2588

Now that your curiosity is satisfied, let's keep this thread on topic please.

ty yandros 1.710=dewdrop

and to keep on topic would be cool to see people do a thinner fan mission where they use teleports to get to next area's to make mission seem bigger=long thinner paths at end a warp to next thinner path's

crazy to know the theme can be anything i expect people will make all kinds of missions now very cool

an interesting idea would be one building that is 1 million units in height including assets or a train that is one million units long

but i think a non-euclidean/mc escher style would be a great use for the size of contest,a more stream lined brainchild would be amazing,not sure why but i love the mission with no enemys where you have to explore and maybe a few puzzles

an interesting idea would be one building that is 1 million units in height including assets or a train that is one million units long
    Really? An almost infinity long pencil line with no Y or Z axis, not even a one eyed worm would find that exciting.

but i think a non-euclidean/mc escher style would be a great use for the size of contest,a more stream lined brainchild would be amazing,not sure why but i love the mission with no enemys where you have to explore and maybe a few puzzles
    I realise the non euclidean is your latest pet phrase but do you really need to mention it in every thread, from my understanding it's a theory of pure mathematics most commonly in relation to spheres and curves that introduces fundamental changes in the concept of space, something that is way beyond Dromed less alone most authors I would suggest.

Funnily enough I just start experimenting in Dromed with a 64 cube and turns out there's a contest with something similar.

Since I've already started something I might as well extend it to be 1m units and see if I can make something of it

Maybe I'll actually make the deadline with this contest.

I'm looking forward to seeing what taffers produce.

P.S.: Don't use links that cause downloads, it's poor form and aggravates some, rather just link to the info page.

I do believe the purpose of the links in the OP is for authors to download and then open them in dromed for inspiration and examples of missions that would fit within the restrictions of this contest. It's probably to just cut out the middle man.