TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 150

Thread: Sean Connery has passed

  1. #51
    Moderator and Priest
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Dinosaur Ladies of the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    I'm also not so sure about those perspectives. Even today people live in dreadfully misogynistic situations and cultures and feel that that's normal, where to many the idea is horrifying. Of course many wish to get out but I think many find it normal.

    Take the hijab, for example. In Iran people suffer to protest their use, here in the UK I've met many professional women who wear the same proudly and demand the right to be able to do so.
    I think that's due to one being enforced, while the other's a choice.

    And hey, they both have it better than Saudi Arabia.

  2. #52
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2001
    Location: Land of the crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    I always wondered why. The only Connery Bond film I remember liking is You Only Live Twice.

    But I'm an outlier. My favorite Bond is probably Timothy Dalton. I wish they had carried on with him instead of letting Pierce Brosnan try to copy Roger Moore. So much of Bond is corny shtick, and Moore was the best at delivering it. I also think On Her Majesty's Secret Service is underrated.

  3. #53
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    I agree. Dalton is my fav actually, though I grew up in the Moore era.

    OHMSS is definitely underrated and significant for a number of things. I quite like Lazenby too.

    Brosnan war the worst Bond, though Goldeneye is one of the best films.

  4. #54
    Judith
    Guest
    I haven't watched any of the old Bonds for quite some time now, and I suspect they aged badly (if Friends' jokes did, then go figure). But I actually liked Connery because of his other movies: The Untouchables, The man who would be king, Robin & Marian (with Audrey Hepburn). Even the popcorn action flicks like The Rock or Entrapment were much better treats thanks to his performance.

  5. #55
    Taking the Death Toll
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: they/them mayhem
    Getting called the worst person on the forum by a literal Nazi is pretty darn funny. Maybe I'd be less depressed if all the Nazis and their alt-right fellows running around got the Wolfenstein treatment.

    Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    You know in defense of June Gloom, I used to be one of his strongest detractors, back in the day. But then I actually got to know him and you know what, I like him and he is quite often on the money with some of his viewpoints. So dont believe everything you read on the internet or something
    Thank you, Piggers. I'm really glad we've been able to bury the hatchet in the last couple years. Though in the future could you not call me "he?" I canceled my subscription to Man™ a while ago and threw my back issues in the trash. They/them is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    My issue isn't that he's a male power fantasy, but that he's a straight white power fantasy and moreso that he's "too" much of this. Old Bond, I agree with you. You have to watch those find and roll your eyes a bit. But Dalton onwards war very different imho.

    Batman and Superman are white and straight. Difference is they aren't portrayed as promiscuous.

    And the banging chicks thing was used on purpose because that's what Connery and Moore were about. I'm using it satirically. I guess you need the quotation marks.

    Anyone can look good in a suit. You don't need to be straight, white or even male.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/vxHN8Lmja5V4BAgA9
    It's interesting that I didn't say "white" but you're arguing like I did.

    It's also interesting, and more than a little weird, that you keep trying to make a distinction between "classic" Bond and newer bond, when that's a distinction without a difference. It's the entire concept of the character that I have an issue with. Doesn't mean I won't watch a Bond movie on occasion (I grew up on the Brosnan films and have seen most of the Bond movies, though Casino Royale is probably my favorite) but let's stop lying to ourselves about what Bond is and who he is for -- i.e. he's for guys like you, not people like me.

    Also you missed the point, as always, about the suit thing.

    ---

    Addendum: Thought of another Connery role I liked -- a minor character in The Longest Day. He was still a monster personally and the world is a little better off, but he was funny in that movie. Both can be true.

  6. #56
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    You see, it's your mean spiritedness in this thread that gets me. Your hate is so much you can say things like "the world is better off" about an actor who had some serious character flaws. It's not like he was a mass murdering dictator or anything.

    And your comment about the alt-right... I mean what kind of homicidal desires are these?

    And fyi there isn't classic Bond and newer Bond to me, it's a spectrum that reflects the times. The IDEA is mired in exactly what you say, but I think it's evolved.

  7. #57
    He's always been like that (and always will), it shouldn't even faze you anymore.

  8. #58
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    You see, it's your mean spiritedness in this thread that gets me. Your hate is so much you can say things like "the world is better off" about an actor who had some serious character flaws. It's not like he was a mass murdering dictator or anything.
    Yeah, the hate for Connery seems rather extreme to me, in proportion to his misdeeds.

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    And your comment about the alt-right... I mean what kind of homicidal desires are these?
    To be fair, alt-right people think that the likes of June Gloom (and many others) shouldn't be allowed to live - that's kind of the entire point of their ideology.

    Honestly not sure what the proper response to them should be (though removing them from all reasonable and decent platforms would be a mandatory first step.)

  9. #59
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2008
    Location: in your second eyelids
    Instead of a personal story about how Sean Connery's stuff has impacted my life for the better, I'll just say in Sean Connery accent:

    "Rest in peace, old man."

    P.S. When a woman is being an absolutely unreasonably cunt, giving her a little slap is indeed the way to handle it properly. Nowadays in the west, it wouldn't work too well as the power levels have been completely skewed in the woman's favor, but out of pure morality and understanding of the said behavior, you're still the winner.

  10. #60
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    What about when you're being a misogynist dick? What should you get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    To be fair, alt-right people think that the likes of June Gloom (and many others) shouldn't be allowed to live - that's kind of the entire point of their ideology.

    Honestly not sure what the proper response to them should be (though removing them from all reasonable and decent platforms would be a mandatory first step.)
    I don't think that murder is the answer though, lol.

    But then I think june wants to defund the police or some such nuttiness.
    Last edited by SubJeff; 2nd Nov 2020 at 17:43.

  11. #61
    Taking the Death Toll
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: they/them mayhem
    So am I being more or less mean-spirited than people who openly espouse abusing women?

  12. #62
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2008
    Location: in your second eyelids
    I know Sean Connery mostly through his work rather than his personal life, though from the few interview snippets I've heard I got a good impression, no misogyny. I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone like that. Some people just have misgivings about the opposite gender and for more than good reason (be it men-women or women-men).

    For those that want to defund the police, I think they should just experience it. Just go into the woods, nobody's gonna police you there, enjoy. If you actually still want a society-looking low/no-police model resembling that, just go to a ghetto near you. How hard is it for Americans?

    Edit: While the man wasn't perfect with a record of 1 divorce (though still holding a respectable 11 years even on that one), he still held his second marriage for 45 years, totaling to about exactly half his entire long-ass lifespan. Now you can call the woman a retard or gold digger or whatever for sticking with an alleged misogynist for that long, but isn't that kind of misogynistic? A decent person, man or woman, will admit to being a total cunt to a close friend after some incident and they will forgive them and they'll stay friends. I believe it works that way for a long-term marriage as well. What matters is internal mutual respect.
    Last edited by Thor; 2nd Nov 2020 at 17:40.

  13. #63
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Quote Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
    So am I being more or less mean-spirited than people who openly espouse abusing women?
    Oh yeah, abusing women is faaaaar worse than murdering people because of their political leanings. Of course of course.

    Now, who else in history though of doing that I wond... ooooh, have we completed the circle, Stalin?

  14. #64
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    P.S. When a woman is being an absolutely unreasonably cunt, giving her a little slap is indeed the way to handle it properly. Nowadays in the west, it wouldn't work too well as the power levels have been completely skewed in the woman's favor, but out of pure morality and understanding of the said behavior, you're still the winner.
    This is one of the most insane things I've seen posted on TTLG, and this is in thread with june gloom writ large lol

  15. #65
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2008
    Location: in your second eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    This is one of the most insane things I've seen posted on TTLG, and this is in thread with june gloom writ large lol
    Now I'm curious, are you outraged that I suggested that slapping someone of the tender gender is insane (if we're being sexless about it, a guy slapping a guy in a bar (or wherever) or woman slapping a man or woman slapping a woman) under certain circumstances, or my observation of the modern times in the west, where a woman can say she's been done wrong in whatever way and just use the hashtag #metoo and a man's career is destroyed almost assuredly (unless the woman is *too* insane and the man is just too legit like that incident where some idiot tried to frame Neil DeGrasse Tyson of all people)

  16. #66
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2002
    Location: In my room
    Slapping an unspecified they/them is fine I think.

  17. #67
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Oh yeah, abusing women is faaaaar worse than murdering people because of their political leanings. Of course of course.
    Being a Nazi is not a political leaning.
    Being a racist is not a political leaning.
    Being a bigot is not a political leaning.


    Any argument made from such a flawed starting point is invalid, because it's a dishonest argument being made in bad faith.

    "Is it okay to kill a murderer?" is a valid debate (personally, I think "generally, no"); claiming that a person murdering an innocent is a political leaning and then rephrasing that question as "Is it okay to kill someone for their political leanings?" is not.

  18. #68
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Really? Being a Nazi is not a political leaning? Seems pretty political to me. Being alt-right isn't being far-right?

    Are all alt-right people in the USA murderers then? How come the police don't do something about it? Sounds like a pretty big problem.

  19. #69
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2002
    Location: In my room
    I agree with the sentiment, NV, but I don't find these points particularly convincing.
    Sure, Nazi is not a political leaning that should have a place in any democracy among other not blood-thirsty political leanings. But claiming it's not a political leaning seems like a helpless attempt to make that distinction.
    Because it is de-facto part of politics, among other hateful ideologies. And politics have never been limited to peaceful and civilized endeavors.
    Also most of today's Nazis have probably never actually murdered someone. Their ideology makes them want to. But unless they did the deed, they're not murderers.
    Again, I'm not disagreeing with you. But we need more refined arguments against Nazis than these. You could call it a murderous ideology, or hate-politics. And then I might agree that SubJeff should have qualified it as such, if SubJeff wasn't obviously arguing against political murder already.

    tl;dr semantics

  20. #70
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    I wasn't even talking about Nazis, because I think modern Nazis don't really have any of the political qualities of the original Nazis, and anyone who says they are a Nazi now is just a hatful hollow bigot, aren't they?

    I'm talking alt-right, and I think there's some distinction, no?

  21. #71
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Sean Connery walks into a bar....

    ...and sits down beside a very attractive woman.He gives her a casual look then looks at his watch for a moment. The woman notices this and says "Is your date running late?".

    "No" he says. "Q has given me this shtate of the art watch and I was just testing it."

    The woman is intrigued and says "What is so special about it?" Bond explains "It shpeaks to me telepathically using alpha waves."

    The woman says "Well what's it telling you now ?"

    Bond says " It's telling me you're not wearing any panties."

    The woman giggles and says "Well I think it must be broken because I AM wearing panties!"

    Bond smirks, taps his watch again and exclaims "Bloody thing's an hour fasht....!!:

  22. #72
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2002
    Location: In my room
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    I wasn't even talking about Nazis, because I think modern Nazis don't really have any of the political qualities of the original Nazis, and anyone who says they are a Nazi now is just a hatful hollow bigot, aren't they?

    I'm talking alt-right, and I think there's some distinction, no?
    Well you had referred to this remark by gloom which included both Nazis and alt-right.

    Quote Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
    Maybe I'd be less depressed if all the Nazis and their alt-right fellows running around got the Wolfenstein treatment

  23. #73
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    Well you had referred to this remark by gloom which included both Nazis and alt-right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    And your comment about the alt-right... I mean what kind of homicidal desires are these?
    If you actually read what was posted things might make sense to you? Ja?

  24. #74
    Taking the Death Toll
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: they/them mayhem
    Nazis want me dead because I'm queer and disabled. They want my friends dead because they're variously queer and brown and Jewish and disabled. Nazis and their alt-right friends are an existential threat to justice, freedom and equality everywhere. My grandpa's generation knew what to do with them. Now we argue that we should defeat them in the marketplace of ideas instead. I don't know where that is, I'd rather defeat them on Earth first.

  25. #75
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2002
    Location: In my room
    Quote Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
    Now we argue that we should defeat them in the marketplace of ideas instead.
    I don't see anyone arguing that point.

    Also unless you've actually been attacked, for your own sake, stop digging into these thoughts of who might want you dead. There will always be people who'll hate what you represent to them. Despite your fantasies, neither you nor anyone of your band of misfits will ever kill them. Living a happy life will be your best shot at revenge.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •