TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 150

Thread: Sean Connery has passed

  1. #76
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia


    If you see people out to get you on every corner, then a sane life will not be had.

  2. #77
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2002
    Location: In the flesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Sean Connery walks into a bar....

    ...and sits down beside a very attractive woman.He gives her a casual look then looks at his watch for a moment. The woman notices this and says "Is your date running late?".

    "No" he says. "Q has given me this shtate of the art watch and I was just testing it."

    The woman is intrigued and says "What is so special about it?" Bond explains "It shpeaks to me telepathically using alpha waves."

    The woman says "Well what's it telling you now ?"

    Bond says " It's telling me you're not wearing any panties."

    The woman giggles and says "Well I think it must be broken because I AM wearing panties!"

    Bond smirks, taps his watch again and exclaims "Bloody thing's an hour fasht....!!:
    Good joke and it speaks to the sort of playful banter I hope isn't lost with the me too generation. Keep the playfulness and flirting. Lose the pushiness and dominance. It ruins the mood.

  3. #78
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Quote Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
    Nazis want me dead because I'm queer and disabled. They want my friends dead
    I dunno man. There's some truth to that, but I think it's rather they just don't like you. They don't like you for bigoted reasons but I do wonder how many of the alt-right/Nazis in the USA would actually take part in the murder of people on this basis. I think they'd like it if everyone else left, sure, but I'm not sure they'd really kill everyone who isn't them.

  4. #79
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2002
    Location: New Zealand
    Uh, you're talking about a country where there are mass shootings on, what, a daily basis? I mean, I had a quick look on Wikipedia and it looks like the average month has about four days where there isn't a mass shooting there, and that's excluding other forms of terrorism/mass murder. In a culture like that the prudent thing to do is to treat all threats as serious. Hell, over here that one dickhead killed 51 people in Christchurch last year, and if we had treated that far-right crap as the threat it is then we could well have stopped it.

  5. #80
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Sure, but these guys aren't doing it, are they?

    I saw a report on militias this morning and these nuts are just nuts with a thing for guns. I'm sure they'd shoot someone they didn't like it they thought they could get away with it, but they don't.

  6. #81
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2002
    Location: New Zealand
    Yeah, probably a lot of the mass shootings aren't from them, but definitely some are, and all threats from them should be treated as credible unless proven otherwise. Over here, the aforementioned Christchurch dickhead is the only mass shooter we've had in over 20 years, and he was way into that alt-right/white-supremacist/nazi stuff.

  7. #82
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Yeah, there will always be one but those guys are seriously unhinged. I think they'll get hitched to any nutty cause that's accessible.

  8. #83
    November is Transgender Awareness Month, might be a good time to read up on all the trans men and women, and genderqueer, that are attacked, and sometimes killed, just for existing.

    I believe you when you say you don't live in a bubble, in that I believe that you believe so. But the truth is we all do. Even I, albeit fortunately a comparatively inclusive one. There's a reason we have a Transgender Day of Remembrance, SubJeff. And while being trans/enby is not easy anywhere, certain parts of the US can be particularly harsh. Especially lately with these Proud Boys groups and stuff, I'd be pretty scared myself, even though I look like a regular dude.

    Stay safe June (and friends)

  9. #84
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Ireland
    I notice everyone picked up on my use of "Nazi" in the list, but not on the other forms of bigotry.

    Nazi is just a shorthand for a specific type of bigoted beliefs. The actual Nazis hated non-whites, communists, queer people, socialists, immigrants, foreigners, and Jews. They took those beliefs to their logical conclusion and tried (sadly with some success) to systematically murder those groups of people.

    The alt-right share a lot of those beliefs, they just haven't quite got that far yet (though the ICE camps are extremely close to concentration camps already.)

    We'll never get to a better place so long as people who claim to be reasonable and balanced continue to insist that these extremists are a valid political group with an equal right to exist than things like conservatives or socialists.

  10. #85
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Some of the mass shootings are just from troubled individuals. Like heavily bullied young kids, who happen to get their hands on guns etc.

  11. #86
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Quote Originally Posted by raph View Post
    I believe you when you say you don't live in a bubble, in that I believe that you believe so. But the truth is we all do.
    Err, I live in bubble, but not and upper-class bubble.

    I didn't know it was transgender awareness month. In the UK it's Movember.

  12. #87
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2002
    Location: New Zealand
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Some of the mass shootings are just from troubled individuals. Like heavily bullied young kids, who happen to get their hands on guns etc.
    I'm not sure how accurate that is in practice. I know that there was a lot of talk about bullying after Columbine, but that's quite disputed, and one of the killers seems to have been more of a proto-incel if anything. Also, mass murders are overwhelmingly committed by men despite firearms meaning that women should in theory have just as much ability - if bullying alone was enough to create mass murderers then there should be a lot more mass shootings by women than the 3-4% that we see. On the other hand, a lot of the male shooters hate women and/or target women (especially current or former partners), and misogyny is often correlated with other kinds of bigotry. I'm not discounting that there are occasional weird cases, but mass murder is definitely correlated with buying into the various brands of nazi/white-supremacist/misogynist/bigoted crap.
    Last edited by mopgoblin; 3rd Nov 2020 at 09:07. Reason: added a few more words

  13. #88
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Men are more violent and that's all there is to it.

    How many bar fights, comparatively, involve women?

  14. #89
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2002
    Location: New Zealand
    Well I did help break one up once, but that doesn't really count. And a lot of mass shooters have histories of domestic violence, write manifestos about how much they hate women, that sort of thing. I mean I'm not unconvinced that that could be an accurate representation of how men are generally, but I definitely prefer the explanation where it's a fairly specific group of bad guys (and it does seem more plausible).

  15. #90
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    It is a specific group, but it's unsurprising they are men.

    This is common sense.

  16. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    It is a specific group, but it's unsurprising they are men.

    This is common sense.
    Mostly because the women with similar psychological issues tend to go for suicide instead.

  17. #92
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2002
    Location: New Zealand
    There's not a reliable evidence base suggesting that mental illness is behind the majority of mass shootings, and it's only involved in a small single-digit percentage of violent crime generally (i.e. there's a negative correlation, if anything). You've got to bear in mind that gun nuts love to push the mental illness angle to avoid general restrictions on guns, and they're perversely influential in the US, so that narrative gets bounced around a lot without any real confirmation.

    Like I said, a lot of mass shooters have a history of domestic violence, apparently the more victims there are the higher the chance that the shooter has one too. And there are those incel manifestos that various mass shooters have made. As I see it there are two possibilities, either those behaviours and beliefs (on that level) are just that common among men generally, or there's a correlation between that kind of crap and going out and killing a bunch of people. In the latter case it doesn't really matter what kind of causal connection there is for the purposes of assessing whether someone is a threat.

  18. #93
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2001
    Location: Somewhere
    Yeh mental illness is the goto explanation whenever a mass killing occurs, but I agree with mopgoblin it really only seems to be very few that end up being that. Most people with mental illness are in fact less likely to cause violence. So violent male assholes, and there are so many of them its really hard to see how one could predict which violent asshole is going to be the one to act out their murderous fantasy.

  19. #94
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mopgoblin View Post
    ...and misogyny is often correlated with other kinds of bigotry. I'm not discounting that there are occasional weird cases, but mass murder is definitely correlated with buying into the various brands of nazi/white-supremacist/misogynist/bigoted crap.
    I've spent some time in the alt-right and worse circles -- the MRAs, the incels, the redpillers, the rational atheists, the "intellectual" dark web, the ordinary reactionary conservatives, the white supremacists, the outright fascists/nazis, the boogaloo boys, the siegepilled... and I can absolutely confirm that one constant throughline is the rampant misogyny. Whatever beliefs they hold, you can pretty much bet that misogyny is the peanut butter to their bigoted jelly.

  20. #95
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2001
    Location: Somewhere
    why have you spent time there? are you a reformed incel or something

    or was it

  21. #96
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    It was partly for my job and partly because of morbid curiosity.

  22. #97
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2002
    Location: In my room
    Journalist or plumber is my guess.

  23. #98
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Translator. I needed the lingo for something or other and then I kind of just kept visiting and going deeper and deeper. It's like a spiral that way. I never bought any of it, but after that experience I can see how easily disaffected men would be drawn in by it.

  24. #99
    Taking the Death Toll
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: they/them mayhem

  25. #100
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2008
    Location: in your second eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
    Nazis want me dead because I'm queer and disabled. They want my friends dead because they're variously queer and brown and Jewish and disabled. Nazis and their alt-right friends are an existential threat to justice, freedom and equality everywhere. My grandpa's generation knew what to do with them. Now we argue that we should defeat them in the marketplace of ideas instead. I don't know where that is, I'd rather defeat them on Earth first.
    For someone queer and disabled it does sound like you want to beat "them" in a fistfight rather than intellectually, which is... interesting, I guess.

    I don't have the time in the day to read much of these comments, but from what I did, some views here do seem rather... distorted. As a neutral that knows people from both leanings (some more fanatic than others) and can view the world in a pretty matter-of-fact way without the verbal abuse or similar to whoever disagrees with me, I'm just compelled to say, that posts like the one I'm replying to and many more have nothing to do with reality (unless perhaps you hunt down fringe cases about as common as serial killers for old women with red socks every Thursday).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •