TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean Connery has passed

Sean Connery has passed

He once said, "There is nothing like a challenge to bring out the best in man."

He certainly brought out the best in himself, and inspired men to be the best that they could be for many decades.

Rest well, 007

He had a long successful life through the best decades this world ever had to offer. I'll never forget him as Indy's father. I'm not sad to hear he died. I'm thinking more like: Good job, man. You really had it all.

Amen to the best decades. I've had most of those decades myself and it makes me sad for those who come after and a little guilty. He was class and wry wit always on the verge of a laugh but never quite there. A Scotsman picked to exemplify the coolest of cool Englishmen and somehow it worked. We all wished for that sort of charm.

Well Trebec, I guess you get the last laugh after all, no more choosing "the rapists" on Jeopardy.

While a death is rarely a good thing, at 90 years old it is to be expected.

Rest well you brilliant Scotsman.

I was so sad to read this yesterday. I was a huge fan, not least because the Bond films were a big part of growing up. 40 years ago this year, ITV started a Christmas day tradition of showing a Bond film and 1978 was Connery's last, Diamonds are Forever (1971). RIP.

BBC did a nice 3 min chip of his acting life

Majority of TV channels over here in Aus that covered the story, ran it in a positive light. One took a more negative slant, discussing allegations of wife beating etc and showed an interview where he more or less alluded to as such. If true then sure that's horrible. First I'd ever heard of it.

That in no way takes anything away from his outstanding acting performances in James Bond, Highlander and many many more. Brilliant actor, and THE James Bond. The rest are all imitators. There can be only one.

R.I.P Sean

Taking the Death Toll
    The fact that he was a raging misogynist is not news nor was it a secret. He was a talented actor and a wretched human being. Both of these things are true.

He was one of the good parts of "A Bridge Too Far." James Bond is too much of a straight male power fantasy for me to give much of a shit about it in general, but Connery's Bond was pretty darn rapey.

He won't be missed. Go watch one of his movies if you want, but at 90 years old it was past time this dinosaur went to the tar pit.

Still Subjective
    RIP

He was a Bond of his time. I think my favourite role of his was as Indy's dad.

"James Bond is too much of a straight male power fantasy"

Oh lawd

Taking the Death Toll
    Well, that didn't take long.

Come on SubJeff, that's actually not entirely inaccurate. "The man all women want, and all men want to be" much? Bond was like the über-male ideal for decades.

Still Subjective
    I say how I see it. Early Bond was terrible, right up to Moore. He might have been the worst - locking Britt Eckland in a cupboard whilst he did Maud Adams, only to go back to Britt later on. But Dalton was different. He was aware of HIV and didn't want to project the "studs bang loads" idea, and honestly since then it's much less about banging loads of chicks than it was. Other than that - dude is literally saving the world most of the time. Is Mission Impossible a straight male power fantasy? Is Star Trek and Star Trek TNG? If you look at everything through a red mist, everything is red.

Ok, I won't dispute how you see it personally, but we're talking about the perception of Bond at the cultural level. Even today, the iconography of Bond isn't that much different, even if it's arguably a bit more layered. I would suspect June's take is much closer to the majority than yours.

Still Subjective
    If you want to look at everything through the lens of race and sexuality, sure.
    Last edited by SubJeff; 2nd Nov 2020 at 07:10.

Taking the Death Toll
    It's not surprising that SubJeff would completely miss the point. Raph, meanwhile, is on the ball as always.

Batman isn't "banging loads of chicks" (who even talks like this anymore?) and yet he's still a male power fantasy. How many young boys (and men) have wished they were Batman, or Superman, or any other male superhero who's all muscles and fists and lantern jaw, saving the world one bad guy at a time? Same goes for James Bond, it's almost a ritual for many men in Europe or North America to put on their best Bond impression when they put on a fancy suit. That's what a male power fantasy is: imagining one's self as the hero, typically a shining example of hypermasculinity, men of action, decisiveness and violence, because that's how male power is defined in society.

Still Subjective
    My issue isn't that he's a male power fantasy, but that he's a straight white power fantasy and moreso that he's "too" much of this. Old Bond, I agree with you. You have to watch those find and roll your eyes a bit. But Dalton onwards war very different imho.

Batman and Superman are white and straight. Difference is they aren't portrayed as promiscuous.

And the banging chicks thing was used on purpose because that's what Connery and Moore were about. I'm using it satirically. I guess you need the quotation marks.

Anyone can look good in a suit. You don't need to be straight, white or even male.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/vxHN8Lmja5V4BAgA9

Quote Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
    The fact that he was a raging misogynist is not news nor was it a secret. He was a talented actor and a wretched human being. Both of these things are true.

He was one of the good parts of "A Bridge Too Far." James Bond is too much of a straight male power fantasy for me to give much of a shit about it in general, but Connery's Bond was pretty darn rapey.

He won't be missed. Go watch one of his movies if you want, but at 90 years old it was past time this dinosaur went to the tar pit.
    You are the most despicable and unlikeable human being on this entire forum, and every single post of yours just confirms that fact. Maybe you'd be less depressed if you stopped being so vile towards other people.

Still Subjective
    Lol

Who tf are you?

IMHO it was pretty clear, in a thread about Connery, that we were chiefly, albeit not explicitly, referring to his tenure as Bond. You're the one who brought up his successors, and all the same, the argument remains shoddy. Bond can still be super cringy in its treatment of women. I find the Craig/Bellucci scene in Spectre quite uncomfortable to watch, for instance, and that's the latest one.

In any case, in terms of memorable performances, I second your Henry Jones choice, and I'll throw in his William of Baskerville in The Name of the Rose as a contender as well.

Let me know what you think about Zardoz too, this will be an interesting experiment. I for one didn't expect my own reaction.

You know I still struggle with my love for Michael Jacksons musical output (pre Bad era of course)

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Lol

Who tf are you?
    The forum's resident literal Nazi. In his own words.

A very strange person to say anyone else is the most despicable human being on the forum.

Mon dieu, these crazy French people

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by JarlFrank View Post
    You are the most despicable and unlikeable human being on this entire forum
    Nah, that's not true.
    We used to have a bloke here that was a lot worse.
    His screenname was Dethtoll or something (can't remember how he spelled it). He was terrible.
    He was a prime example of male passive-aggressive testosterone-filled mentally messed up person.
    He was the reason that I skipped coming here for years.
    Luckily he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post

A very strange person to say anyone else is the most despicable human being on the forum.

Hey, I'm not the one constantly wallowing in misantrophy and expressing some sort of happiness/gratitude (he won't be missed, about time that dinosaur hit the tar pit) over the death of a beloved actor because he was "misogynist" or whatever. Every post of june gloom's exudes pettiness and misery.

There's a reason I usually stick to the Fan Mission subforums, where more wholesome things are discussed (like Thief fan missions and productive creativity).

LittleFlower
    I was surprised that nobody posted this picture yet of the ultimate male power fantasy.

Girls wanted to be with him.
    Boys wanted to be like him.

Certainly.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 2nd Nov 2020 at 09:31.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast