TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Having ropes that sway in wind

Having ropes that sway in wind

Hello everyone. What would be the best way to have a rope sway back and forth in the wind?

Sprites or animation in Tweq: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q2cq7sRNq4

Explosions.

Periodic, small-scale explosions nearby.

ZylonBane
    Okay Megumin.

If it is not a real rope object you could make one with joints at intervals.

Ropes are affected by flow brushes but I thino that effect is limited to the lowest link of the rope object.

DromEd Archmage
    Since it's ropes, those don't have tweqs.

Use NV's method, it will work fine.

Just use a TweqEmitStream, place it nearby your rope, edit it properties and replace the "broadhead" string in its property (Tweq > Emit : "emit what?") and write the name of an explosion's archetype...
    BUT : to have a rope swingging slowly though you'll need to create your own explosion archetype, so this step might be the final one.

So first :

Go to SFX > FireFX > ExplodFX > FnordKaboom.
    Create a child archetype to FnordKaboom and call it with a name short enough to fit in the Tweq> Emit : emit what?
    Then edit its property and look for Physics > Projectile > Explode Me.
    Then change the radius and magnitude.

I unfortunately can't give you what numbers to type since it would depends on the distance between your ropes and the marker which will emit this explosion marker and surrouding...
    Thus you'll need to try with different values until you get the effect you are looking for. All I can tell is that negative values with magnitude work and will create a vacuum effect instead of a blow.

Once you have typed your numbers, all you need to do is to save your gamesyst file (or just your cow file depending on your way to dromedit).
    Then go back to your TrapEmitStream to type the name of the explosion marker you just created in "emit what?" like originaly planned, you can change the "rate" if you want to change the delay between two shots (miliseconds)
    then set the TweqEmitState to On.

Normaly, you may have in-game the explosion marker you've created being emitted from the EmitTrapStream you've placed nearby the rope, making them swigging.
    If the render is cool enough, you're done, if it looks weird, just edit the explosion marker properties and change the magnitude and/or radius, save your gam or cow then test again until you are satisfied.

ZylonBane
    Uh, you know you don't have to save the gamesys to test gamesys changes, right?

DromEd Archmage
    You don't seem informed enough ZB :

Are you not aware that Sperry still works with OldDark and how OldDark loves crashing for any reason? This is the reason he must save the gamesyst => to not lose the modifications in case of crash.

ZylonBane
    Anyone still working in OldDark deserves the crashes.

Thanks everyone. Nameless Voice and Firemage, your solution is exactly what I had in mind. I had actually begun to experiment with FnordKaboom, and this confirms me in that direction. The solutions of Soul Tear and John9818a would be great too, however they indeed need to be real ropes, and besides, I'm completely unable to create my own objects and sprites. So emitting FnordKabooms is the simplest solution. As for the crashes, the don't occur that often, really. Thanks again!