TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Modern monitor adjustment recommendations

Modern monitor adjustment recommendations

I just purchased a new monitor for the first time in...well maybe ever (I'm so lazy I think I keep using hand-me-downs) so I'm going from a TN panel 1080p 24" to a 32" LG VA panel and I'm super happy with it so far.

My question is, what kind of monitor settings have people tweaked to improve their Thief experience? I just loaded up the last FM I was on (The Tower, which is great) and honestly it looks pretty good out of the box but I know that once I get used to how it looks now, I won't really feel like tweaking it more.

Does anyone have any suggestions (settings, testing scenarios) for things to try out for a VA panel monitor to improve how it works in dark areas etc? Of course there is the in-game gamma setting and monitor brightness and contrast settings.

So far I don't see any specific issues running at 1440p other than some game menus look rasterized but the game looks fine so far. The colors are fine so far too but my standards are also pretty low probably so I want to get it looking as good as I can! Thanks!

Set to sRGB mode.

When you can, borrow a monitor calibrator and make a color profile for your screen.

Get a color calibrator like Valet2 said. If you don't like the settings, adjust them to your own personal preference. I recently tried swapping from an ultrawide IPS to a 4K VA panel and couldn't stand the motion blur on the VA or that it lost a lot of detail in darker pictures. Now I'm saving up for the LG CX 48 OLED. Can't wait to play Thief on that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    Get a color calibrator like Valet2 said. If you don't like the settings, adjust them to your own personal preference. I recently tried swapping from an ultrawide IPS to a 4K VA panel and couldn't stand the motion blur on the VA or that it lost a lot of detail in darker pictures. Now I'm saving up for the LG CX 48 OLED. Can't wait to play Thief on that thing.
    Thats what I was thinking of getting too but I just couldn't justify the price right now, long term OLED is definitely what I'd like for proper dark gaming (maybe not as bad for your eyes too?)

Quote Originally Posted by Valet2 View Post
    Set to sRGB mode.

When you can, borrow a monitor calibrator and make a color profile for your screen.
    Thanks, I'll look into that, maybe I need to be the person to get one and be the guy to borrow from

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    You do know that OLED has a horrible burn in issue right? Things like the HUD that are constantly on in games or things like TV news / station logos cause burn in issues with OLED. They tried to fix it, but it is one of the major issues. I discussed this in detail with the TV repair shop techs when they fixed my LED TV. Many people buy $2,000 OLED TV just to have the TV get burn in. Do your research on this before you buy.