TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: idea's for next fan mission contest,"one idea per person"

idea's for next fan mission contest,"one idea per person"

most recent contest was very good results in my view and it gave me a idea for next contest,this post is for everyone to post a single idea for a contest

my idea is "day time" contest

after playing into the odd,alacazar and cinder notes i was like omg i so love day time missions,weather its sunrise/sunset or mid day,i love me some day light in missions

that is my idea,i cant wait to see what "single" idea you have for a mission and please dont say its hard to pick one idea,as i could have also listed many idea's

added in edit = daylight long distance journey
    Last edited by downwinder; 14th Jan 2021 at 15:42.

I would like a Thief Gold Classic Contest (Build Time: 1 year)

I would like a contest where missions have to be made from an OM map (T1/TG/T2).

@Master of Dromed: That sounds very much like the TDP20AC (except it's TG23AC)

Day time, huh?
    Here is the idea: the player is just a postman or courier. Nothing shady, nothing to hide from. And he needs just to traverse from point A to point B in the big city. But that isn't that simple because of... I don't know: police blocked the street searching for some cat thief, then crazy (but harmless) pagans set a marriage and there is no way to get through without being involved, then 15 carriages crashed on the road and mechanists try to settle things up, then fire in the building so... and more and more problems... As a culmination you can add zombie invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    I would like a contest where missions have to be made from an OM map (T1/TG/T2).
    Interesting idea, but I suspect there maybe more than just one mission using Life of the Party map and to be honest I'm a little bored on LotP OM ports, there's got to be at least 6 of them already.

Daylight contest not bad but is it really a great concept for a contest? I would rather something more specific.
    Last edited by fortuni; 14th Jan 2021 at 02:46.

There should be a Bath house contest just like in the very first years. With todays visuals and newdark, very nice places could be made. Just think of all the water, the pipes, the possible different designs and stories involving a bath house/SPA/swimming pool.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    Interesting idea, but I suspect there maybe more than just one mission using Life of the Party map and to be honest I'm a little bored on LotP OM ports, there's got to be at least 6 of them already.
    Plus, there already have been two (!) Reloaded-contests in the past and I don't suspect that many authors are keen on a third attempt.
    For reference:
    Thief Reloaded Contest
    Thief Reloaded Contest Part Two

If we're going to do "one idea per user" then we can gather all the ideas into a sort of bingo-like grid before the contest starts and the people who work on the FMs would have to pick rows from the grid. For reference, see Map Labs: The Grid
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENT919JX...name=4096x4096

How about a contest with focus on architecture? There are many gifted authors out there. Just think about some beautiful designed fan missions like Circle of Stone and Shadow 2: Mission X, the old classic Hammerite Imperium Campaign (sadly abandoned), "King´s Story", which replicated castle Neuschwanstein or the recently added contest mission "A Midsummer Night's Heist".

McMansion Hell

A contest focused on storyline, readables, and storytelling in general.

I would also like a contest where missions have to be made from an OM map. It should feel like an expansion of the OM where you are able to go to areas the OM won't allow you to go but also totally new areas. With meaningful stories and quests and references to characters or events that happened in the OM. Particulary thinking of Partytime!
    What's behind that main entrance door of Angelwatch? How does the rest of the city looks?

Edit: For T2 of couse! And I hate restrictions - NO RESTRICTIONS
    Last edited by Karras35; 17th Jan 2021 at 13:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Karras35 View Post
    I would also like a contest where missions have to be made from an OM map. It should feel like an expansion of the OM where you are able to go to areas the OM won't allow you to go but also totally new areas. With meaningful stories and quests and references to characters or events that happened in the OM. Particulary thinking of Partytime!
    What's behind that main entrance door of Angelwatch? How does the rest of the city looks?
    I like the idea...but would love to see it taking a different direction (I think we have seen the OM maps enough, but I can see the ideas charme). My Shot: (I know that a contest like this has been made already years ago, but for my taste it didn't turn out the way I would imagine it) The Builders Paradise (especially our discussion in our T2 20AC episode) gave me the idea because it seemed like the better and more advanced "Sabotage at Soulforge". Take the setting of an OM but create a totally new map from scratch. All the objectives from the OM have to be included, but the ways to achieve them of course can be different. I think with todays NewDark and everything it has to offer, a contest like this would make sense and give authors more ways for creativity and a totally different take on a well established mission.

I don't like the idea of contests with limitations where on the other hand authors have so many new possibilities since new dark. (I appreciate the limited contests because it is interesting to see what people can come up with and to see all the different approaches but let's not limit the engine side for once....let's maybe limit the setting)
    Last edited by Supremcee; 14th Jan 2021 at 18:01.
    Thief Podcast - Inside at Last Megathread >>> https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149898

Maybe a bit limiting in scope but there have been superb missions in the past set in asylums, strange and foreboding buildings where authors imaginations have run wild, producing hugely entertaining and memorable FMs.

Authors could use almost any building from a hospital or mansion, to a castle, a prison or even the maw at a stretch.

Even the contest title could have endless possibilities.
    The Madness of Thief
    Garrett goes Nuts
    20 Years of Lunacy
    Last edited by fortuni; 14th Jan 2021 at 19:10.

I think the question of "How does the rest of the city look?" Is constantly being answered by people making FMs in their own way

Instead of OMs, why don't take an existing FM and change the story/map, open up new areas

the old city before it was old,when it was alive with people kinda a prequal to thief 1 then you can reimagine all the om missions/locations into something brand new,also alot of story line would be unknown,garrett have parents,the creation of keepers,pre hammerites,pagans would forsure have a deeper story,viktoria as a child,massive backstory on Constantine,i would guess even a story on the baron as he was never in thief 1/g/2 or 3 maybe he predated them,also how the precursors/they seemed advance but all but gone in t1/g/2/3 only there ruins,were the murlocks around? what was the hag doing?

the thing i find interesting is in thief 3 alot of talk of older things were in that game predating thief 1/g/2 ,like that one hammer who saw the hag take the child from shalebridge

the time line seems so strange in thief 3 compared to thief 1/g/2 in sense of something mentioned

or it can be done in opposite direction as a post thief 3 scenario,are all the burricks gone,pagan just a tiny fragment?what will happen to keepers,does the timeline go to modern age where garrett becomes "dagger of ways"

i feel if you going to do a om type set up it should either be a prequal to thief 1 or a post thief 3,to many fan missions have already filled in the rest in my view

what are you idea's on what i think?

Quote Originally Posted by Supremcee View Post
    I like the idea...but would love to see it taking a different direction (I think we have seen the OM maps enough, but I can see the ideas charme). My Shot: (I know that a contest like this has been made already years ago, but for my taste it didn't turn out the way I would imagine it) The Builders Paradise (especially our discussion in our T2 20AC episode) gave me the idea because it seemed like the better and more advanced "Sabotage at Soulforge". Take the setting of an OM but create a totally new map from scratch. All the objectives from the OM have to be included, but the ways to achieve them of course can be different. I think with todays NewDark and everything it has to offer, a contest like this would make sense and give authors more ways for creativity and a totally different take on a well established mission.

I don't like the idea of contests with limitations where on the other hand authors have so many new possibilities since new dark. (I appreciate the limited contests because it is interesting to see what people can come up with and to see all the different approaches but let's not limit the engine side for once....let's maybe limit the setting)
    /signed

Supremcee's idea is pretty good. At one point me, Firemage and Squada were working on a pseudo remake of Blackmail that also included part of the narrative of Trail of Blood. We shelved the mission but I always liked the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    At one point me, Firemage and Squada were working on a pseudo remake of Blackmail that also included part of the narrative of Trail of Blood. We shelved the mission but I always liked the idea.
    Thanks, FireMages & Squadas idea sounds pretty interesting. In general I think, there are quite a few OMs that lack alot of fun (for different reasons) but "what could have been better" was discussed alot. So why not create what could have been better

That's true, but I assume most people would want to take the better missions. Who would want to re-create Tracing the Courier to make it fun anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
    That's true, but I assume most people would want to take the better missions. Who would want to re-create Tracing the Courier to make it fun anyway?
    that's totally true but maybe some people are "brave" enough or already have amazing ideas. or in reversed psychology, "I don't believe that anybody here can re-create a good (former lame OM) FM "

Alcazar or Skacky/Melan clones

Put together/join Bafford´s map, Assassins, Undercover and the the Sword allowing to break into more places.
    A challenging new plot.
    Too big a map, perhaps.

How about a contest where the missions have to be based on real-world locations?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast