TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Doom, Quake, the original Team Fortress, etc.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    What? Terminator Future Shock more like 256 Shades Of Grey.
    Looks plenty colorful to me.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh wow it's got some blue tones and red lasers among all that gray? Wow yeah it's a regular Mario 64.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    Another good thing about Quake's aesthetics is the way every monster has a distinctive silhouette, aiding quick identification.
    That's a really great point and something I'd never considered. Applying that to other games of the same era, you can see why, say, Unreal has barely any memorable, stand-out monsters. Both games have blocky, polygonal models, but in Unreal, with a few exceptions, they're all just variants on generic humanoid with guns.

This thread makes me realise that while I played a fair number of shooters, I never spent much time with either Quake or Unreal, and I definitely didn't finish either. I'm thinking that I got into shooters around the time of Jedi Knight and always favoured SP-focused games that had more story and world building.

Thing What Kicks
    My avatar on another forum is the outline of a Shambler starting its attack animation
    Even the humanoid monsters in Quake were very distinct from eachother.

Thirith, Quake may not have a strong narrative thread going through it, but the world-building is very strong, especially considering the time. While levels are still very abstract constructions like in Doom, with barely any attempt to portray an environment that is actually lived in, everything fits the theme, and the game is steeped in atmosphere. Especially if you play with the official soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    That's a really great point and something I'd never considered. Applying that to other games of the same era, you can see why, say, Unreal has barely any memorable, stand-out monsters. Both games have blocky, polygonal models, but in Unreal, with a few exceptions, they're all just variants on generic humanoid with guns.
    Thanks! System Shock 2 is another good example of this technique.

As for Unreal... at the time it was hailed as the next leap forward in graphics, but that may have only been because it was the first game to have passable outdoor levels. Also, I think it kicked off the colored-lighting fad, and for a time every 3D game had copious areas with garish neon lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf
    While levels are still very abstract constructions like in Doom, with barely any attempt to portray an environment that is actually lived in, everything fits the theme, and the game is steeped in atmosphere.
    I like Quake's abstract environments too. Sure, they'd be nonsensical in our world, but they serve the needs of eldritch horrors, not human beings. I won't fault someone for preferring realism in their game environments, but when Quake 2 tried its hand at that, it fell flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    As for Unreal... at the time it was hailed as the next leap forward in graphics, but that may have only been because it was the first game to have passable outdoor levels. Also, I think it kicked off the colored-lighting fad, and for a time every 3D game had copious areas with garish neon lighting.
    As I remember it, Unreal was also praised for having the levels lead directly into each other (see a big landmark near the end of a level, spend the next level going towards it and the one following exploring it) and the world making some sort of sense as a place where the inhabitants could live.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Oh wow it's got some blue tones and red lasers among all that gray? Wow yeah it's a regular Mario 64.
    Sorry, I forgot you were expecting an apocalyptic wasteland to look like Teletubbies.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    As I remember it, Unreal was also praised for having the levels lead directly into each other (see a big landmark near the end of a level, spend the next level going towards it and the one following exploring it) and the world making some sort of sense as a place where the inhabitants could live.
    Oh, I forgot about that! Yeah, that's praiseworthy for the era.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    I've never actually played Quake beyond the demo. I keep meaning to, but every time I look at it, it's just so very ugly.
    Software 3D games like Thief and Terminator: Future Shock somehow managed to depict much more colorful yet also pleasingly-lit worlds with the same 256-color limitation.
    Sorry, I forgot you were expecting an apocalyptic wasteland to look like Teletubbies.
    Keep ZB arguing long enough, and he'll look like he's arguing against his own position just to spite you.

Alright, I've got a Quake-server running on cargobay5.com, tcp port 26000. I've tried connecting from my home machine and the connection is accepted, but right after it disconnects and the client says Host_Error: CL_ReadFromServer: lost connection. It might be the router I'm behind. Can anyone try to connect? The binary I'm running is quakespasm v0.93.2, running on Ubuntu 2020.4. It'd be awesome if we could get this working.

Cheers

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Keep ZB arguing long enough, and he'll look like he's arguing against his own position just to spite you.
    I suppose it could seem that way to someone who's bad at following a conversation. Here's I'll simplify it for you:

Me: Other 3D games looked more colorful than Quake despite being limited to a 256-color palette.
    Henke: But not as colorful as a 24-bit color game! REEEEEEE!!!!

Level 10,000 achieved
    *sigh*

I don't wanna do this any more. But just in case you're NOT TROLLING and truly aren't getting what I'm saying, it's that holding up Terminator FS as being MORE COLORFUL than Quake is DUMB. Terminator FS is as gray as Quake is brown.

For the record I think they're both good looking games. I don't have any issues with games committing to a brown or gray color palette.

Thing What Kicks
    @Qooper:
    I couldn't connect to your server, but in doing so, I leapt down the rabbit hole and set up my own. It's not on a separate box and will only be up on request. I may look at setting it up permanently on a Raspberry Pi, but for the time being, if you download nQuake (remembering to copy pak0.pak and pak1.pak to nQuake's id1 folder), my server should appear as malfquake in the server list.

I'll PM you the password and the details of my Mumble server if you want to chat about how to set up the server yourself. It's relatively simple if you download nQuake Server, but there are a couple of gotchas.

Thing What Kicks
    Okay, after diving even further down the rabbit hole, I think I've successfully set up my Pi to act as a QW FFA (no time limit, first to 20 frags) server. At least, I've managed to connect to it on its public address.
    If you're interested in trying it out, fire off a PM and I'll forward you the connection details for both the Quake server and Mumble.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yes, Malf, I wanna play some Quake too! nQuake downloaded.

How about we play some rounds on Saturday, regular Arma-time? (3 PM UK time)

@Malf: Thanks, I tried nQuake and it works! There's a server running at cargobay5.com:28501. Do you know if it's possible to do software rendering with the nQuake client? Also if you have time tomorrow we could try some deathmatch, either on your RPi or my server.

Thing What Kicks
    Not exactly software rendering, but if you want that classic, non-filtered pixel look, pop this in the console:
    gl_texturemode gl_nearest_mipmap_linear

Then, in nQuake's options, change the gamma to something like 0.9 and turn on dynamic lights.

Once you've made all of your desired changes (including things like shirt and pants colour, keybinds, etc.), go to Options then Config and click Export Config...
    Give it an easy to remember name such as qooper.cfg and save it off.
    You can then do a Windows search for it, and once you've found it, copy it then paste it in to nQuake\ezquake\configs
    Finally, go to your client's nQuake\qw folder and open autoexec.cfg
    You'll see a section near the top that says:
    // Bring back default.cfg
    In that section, add the line:
    exec configs/qooper.cfg

That'll make sure your settings apply every time you start your nQuake client.

And yeah, I'd be up for some DM, although I can't remember the last time I played an FPS competetively, so I'm probably terrible
    If we can test both your server and mine, that'd be grand. I hopped on to yours earlier, and it all seems to be running fine. Mine uses a classic map rotation script rather than the hub that your server uses.

Oof, I've never player Quake 1 competitively, so I'm sure I'll get my ass kicked pretty bad I've played the first Team Fortress with some friends a looong time ago, and Team Fortress 2 every now and then, but I'm pretty much a noob. But it's fun!

Yeah man, we can test out both servers, yours and mine, that'd be awesome. See you later today!

Thing What Kicks
    Just to let anyone interested know, Jesh, henke and myself are playing on my Pi server right now

Thing What Kicks
    Aaaand we're done.
    Good, high-speed fragging. I'll have to look in to getting map rotation working properly, and pick out some bigger maps to give people breathing room.
    But as a proof-of-concept, it worked fantastically

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hah, that was a fun half hour of mostly just Malf wiping the floor with Jesh and me. Here's some footage.

I'm up for a rematch if we get more people involved. Should we try again on Sunday, same time? Qooper, get in on this!

I'd be up for a go as long as the latency doesnt make it impossible.

Thing What Kicks
    Well my Pi server's always on, so you can try connecting and checking your ping (hit Tab for scoreboard and ping).
    I'll send you a PM with the IP address and password.

Have not played these games yet

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast