TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Doom, Quake, the original Team Fortress, etc.

Thing What Kicks
    Qooper and I had a quick 1v1 late last night just before I hit the sack, and it was a good 'un. Qooper's very good

We'll be jumping on again at 15:00 today, so if you feel like joining the fun, let me know here and I'll PM you the server address and password. The server's currently configured for a maximum of 8 players, which is probably far too many for some of the maps, but means there's space available for those who are interested.
    Of course, if you can't make that timeslot, it doesn't really matter as the server's always up.

Thing What Kicks
    Thanks henke & Qooper for another fun sesh!
    Shame the map cycle isn't working still, but I'll just have to play with a list of maps open on my other monitor
    As mentioned in Mumble, I'l try getting the Quake 3 server working too. In fact, I just remembered I haven't copied the pak files to the server yet, so that's probably it.

Thing What Kicks
    Okay, got the Quake 3 server up and running too, with a proper map rotation as well.

So you don't have to spend ages downloading the maps in game, download this archive and extract it in to your Quake 3 baseq3 folder.

IP address and password are the same as for the Quake 1 server, except you don't need a port number for Q3, just the IP address.

I would also recommend downloading this autoexec.cfg file and sticking it in your baseq3 folder too; it pretties the game up and gets it running on modern monitors nicely.

Make sure to edit it before starting the game so you can change your monitor width, height and FOV:
    seta r_customwidth "2560"
    seta r_customheight "1440"
    seta cg_fov "110"

Edit:
    Oh, and if you'd like to be able to connect and play the map rotation against bots, let me know and I'll turn them on so they fill empty slots.
    Last edited by Malf; 17th Jan 2021 at 13:31.

Thanks for the awesome game yesterday! It's was a blast

I bought Quake 3 and downloaded the archive map archive you linked + the autoexec.cfg, so I'm pretty much ready to go. A friend of mine might also be interested in some deathmatch, either Q1 or 3, do you guys mind if I ask him to join at some point?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Weeeeell shit, since I was the one who suggested we play Quake 3 now I guess I gotta buy it as well.

Bought and downloading! Is anyone familiar with fan upgrades for Quake 3? Should I be playing with something like this? Or is vanilla still the best way to go?

Qooper, yes, invite your friend!

Thing What Kicks
    Ah, thanks for that port link henke.
    I'd been looking at ioQuake, as it's the port I was most familiar with back in the day, but it's not available for download any more. So Quake3e is perfect!
    Saying that, vanilla works fine, so it's down to your choice. I'm gonna give Quake3e a go just to see what's different about it.

And yeah Qooper, to second henke, invite away!
    Both the Quake 1 and Quake 3 servers should have a max client limit of 8, so there's more than enough space.

Thing What Kicks
    Just a few more maps for Quake 3, including a couple of "Rat" maps: Download

Thing What Kicks
    So, anyone up for some Quake, original or 3 tonight?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Not tonight, but how about Sunday?

Also what did you think of Quake3e?

Thing What Kicks
    Sunday's good, and Quake3e works fine
    Doesn't do anything drastic to the game, and plays smoothly.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ok I got everything downloaded and setup. Sunday, 3PM UK TIME! BE THERE OR BE SQUARE.

Thing What Kicks
    Aces
    I'd recommend giving Q3's single player a go too. It's a great way to learn the standard maps, and is good training for stuff like map control. Especially the tourney maps, which cap off each episode like a boss fight. The weapons in the third game are a lot more balanced than in the first, and standard movement feels a little slower (although still lightning fast compared to many recent games).

Level 10,000 achieved
    I did play a bit of it last night. And I played through it back in the day, in fact it was the only way I experienced Q3 back then. I especially liked the big space maps with jump pads.

Thing What Kicks
    Thanks for the games henke
    As noted though, would be nice to get some more people playing so it's not just 1v1.
    Qooper, I believe henke has sent you a PM with his Steam ID, so I'll do the same.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm too late to the party again. Life's been busy. I'm finally Q1 equipped if anyone is up for it again.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234