TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: What are you playing in 2021?

I just gave Tunic demo a try after so much hype it has had for years and.... that's gonna be a pass for me. Too much souls-like, not enough adventure-y. There was one combat encounter towards the end of the demo that was super frustrating when you get swarmed by 3 sword/shield dues and need to defeat them with very limited stamina. it was so easy to get trapped in the "endless hit loop" when they surrounded you. I finally managed to beat it by just button mashing instead of trying to be strategic -_-

Doesnt help the game has the "respawn at nearest checkpoint / all enemies respawn too" mechanic that means you can easily get stuck on a loop of replaying the same segment over and over. I know it's basically a de-facto standard for most adventure/combat games these days, but I've never been a fan of forcing me to replay entire gameplay segments just because I messed up ONE thing.

Also no healing items (except ONE single-use item that heals pathetic 25% of health), so if you mess up your first encounter you might as well kill yourself instead of trying to progess further
    Last edited by Yakoob; 3rd Oct 2021 at 21:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Doesnt help the game has the "respawn at nearest checkpoint / all enemies respawn too" mechanic that means you can easily get stuck on a loop of replaying the same segment over and over. I know it's basically a de-facto standard for most adventure/combat games these days, but I've never been a fan of forcing me to replay entire gameplay segments just because I messed up ONE thing.
    I have the impression that the commercial logic of this is that Steam reviews are considered more credible as a person's hours-played number goes up. Or for that matter, the hours-played counts as its own kind of positive review that can even trump a negative review if it's high enough. And replaying entire sequences is a good way to explode the number of hours played. Once people are invested in a scene & have a sunk cost, you can expect them to sink even more time into just finishing it off.

That is to say it's more about exploiting a cognitive bias to get more sales than good game design.

verbose douchebag
    I'm playing the early access Rogue Legacy 2.
    S'good.
    Doesn't feel like EA so far either.

So Metroid Dread, eh?

I think I'm about about 75% through and it's not perfect but I love it. It has a lot going for it:
    • Genuinely awesome moments that contribute to the impression of a space epic.
    • Bosses that feel like bosses.
    • Super tight combat and fluid movement.
    • Often very beautiful, clean style.
    • Upgrades that feel like upgrades (mostly).
    • Sound design is terrific.
    • Great map.

The list of negatives isn't empty, it has some major yet subjective flaws:
    • I wished the game would let you breathe at least at some point, the story pushes you forward constantly. I may have finally found some downtime to explore, but that's with most of the game behind me. O
    • The die & retry stealthy and unpredictable gameplay of the E.M.M.I. sections isn't going to be for everyone. They break the narration in an original way and really feel like their own separate puzzle game but I can see some people being put off. You die all the time.
    • The environments are very nicely done but some would benefit from standing out more from each other.
    • All the buttons all the time.

I'll reserve judgement until I'm done but it truly feels like a new game in the Metroid series, with some interesting although ultimately frustrating additions.

I'm only a couple hours in, but I pretty much agree with you. This is Mario Odyssey of 2D platformers: it has that Nintendo quality of which moving your character is fun in and of itself. The sound design is terrific although I haven't heard any really memorable music yet. My biggest complaint is, as you say, the environments don't have the dramatic distinction of Super Metroid. How long have you been playing to get to 75%? I've heard it's a short game, so I've been taking my time, trying to savour it. But with that wonderful movement it almost feels like it could be a platform for future Metroid adventures, maybe DLC.

The meta layer might turn away some people, but man the first part of the game has "IT."

I've finished the game already and I'm getting it on release. There's a demo on steam for all to try.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The Good Life

Being a big Deadly Premonition fan I backed the KS of this, what seems like ages ago now. I played the first 7 hours of it this weekend and I'm sad to report that it's not very good. You play as a reporter sent to a small English town to uncover a mystery and work off your 30 000$ debt. It's kinda a life-sim, and it's got surprisingly deep systems. Lots of things to do and interact with. Runs well too, on the technical side it's more robust than either Deadly Premonitions. And the life sim stuff is fun enough in a grindy kinda way, where you're constantly improving equipment, learning new things, and working off your debt. Watching numbers go up, whee! The photo app is perhaps the best part of the game, where you're tasked with snapping shots matching trending hashtags and uploading them to earn money and online-fame. Sadly, for a Sweary game, the characters and story are the weakest part. No, not just weak, annoying. And there's A LOT of it. So much it eventually had me mashing the skip-dialogue button just to get back to the somewhat-enjoyable parts of the game. But yeah, I don't know if I can be bothered staying with this much further. It's just not very good.

Recompile

If you're in the market for a TRON metrodvania, this is it! Blasted through this thing last week. It's a mixed bag. The platforming and combat is kinda clunky but has its moments. The occasional puzzles are very simple. But the story, delivered in text-logs, had me gripped throughout. For some reason I like stories about AIs. The world-design is pretty cool too and I enjoyed exploring. And of course it looks amazing. Yeah, this is a good one!

PGA TOUR 2K21

This was in the latest PS+. I like golfing games, but haven't really played a "proper" one in ages. Delighted by this. Just put on some tunes and play a few holes. FOOOOOOOORE!

God Of War

Decided to give this another shot after giving up on it halfway through last time. I don't like spectacle fighters, I think I've mentioned that. I still don't like spectacle fighters, but I turned down the difficulty to Easy so I can just hack and slash my way through without having to get bogged down by the combat so much, and focus on the story. I like the characters, aside from the comedy-relief dwarves. I just got to this fight against a valkyrie tho, and she's whooping my ass. Dunno if I wanna play any more.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    The Good Life

Being a big Deadly Premonition fan I backed the KS of this, what seems like ages ago now.
    It was only 3 years ago. Bummer, though, especially after DP2. Oh well, let's hope Hotel Barcelona turns out any good. Or, y'know, at all.

God Of War

Decided to give this another shot after giving up on it halfway through last time. I don't like spectacle fighters, I think I've mentioned that. I still don't like spectacle fighters, but I turned down the difficulty to Easy so I can just hack and slash my way through without having to get bogged down by the combat so much, and focus on the story. I like the characters, aside from the comedy-relief dwarves. I just got to this fight against a valkyrie tho, and she's whooping my ass. Dunno if I wanna play any more.
    Sounds like you'd get more out of a Let's Play of the game. At least if you can find someone who explores the story the same way you'd want to.

If I remember correctly, the valkyries are optional enemies (unless there's one that you need to fight?). I think I got my ass kicked by the first one and then went and completed much of the main storyline, so when I returned to her I was far better equipped and skilled up. It was still not an easy fight (though I played at Normal, IIRC), but it wasn't as frustratingly difficult.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh? Yes it seems you're right. I thought it was mandatory, but I'll poke around for an alternate path then.

Thing What Kicks
    I did all the valkyrie battles, and I think I did them on the hardest difficulty, but can't be sure if I'm remembering correctly.
    Whatever, they were a right royal pain in the arse.
    Surprisingly, I don't think the last one was the hardest. The one that I remember the most was the one that took place in Muspelheim.

I think the reason the last one wasn't so bad was that all the previous battles are teaching you how to fight and defend against different aspects of valkyrie fights, so you're pretty well prepared for the final one.

It's a good game overall, but not my favourite spectacle fighter ever. It felt a little too linear and constrained, with disappointingly low enemy variety. And the boss battles didn't feel anywhere near as epic as some of the earlier ones in the series.
    While it plays a bit looser and doesn't feel as good to play moment-to-moment as the most recent game, I think God of War 3 was probably the pinnacle of the series for me.
    Although 2 comes very close.

I think overall, Bayonetta 2 is still my favourite spectacle fighter to date. I bounced off of the latest Devil May Cry, finding it far too fiddly for my taste. And there was no mechanic that grabbed me as much as Bayo's Witch Time.
    Although Vanquish comes very close, but that's more a spectacle shooter than a spectacle fighter.

But then again, do we think Viewtiful Joe qualifies as a spectacle fighter? Because if so, that's easily my favourite.

One that gets overlooked, and is probably my favourite from a narrative perspective is Heavenly Sword. The cutscenes and acting in that are fantastic. It plays like a very good God of War 1-3 knock-off, but also has the added bonus of the twing-twang sections, which were the best implementation of the DS3's Sixaxis motion control I ever experienced.
    Just a shame that the load times are so ridiculously long.

I can't stand Dad of Boi, long live the classix

Level 10,000 achieved
    uhhhhhh hey everyone who likes God of War?

yeah

that's right

ya just got zajaz'd

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Gears 5: Hivebusters DLC finally went on sale on Steam, so I grabbed it (alongside Gears Tactics, through a "complete the bundle" deal that Steam had). It's more Gears, what's there to say? Gameplay is utterly solid as ever.

One of the playable characters is a "space Polynesian" woman with a kiwi accent and a Hawaiian sounding name, Lahni. I cringed when I heard a kiwi accent without warning. Nobody cares about Xbox games, so I'm not surprised that Twitter weirdos haven't tried to cancel them for cultural appropriation. Those parasites normally are only attracted to popular things (i.e. not Xbox games).

Graphically it looks great. Obviously it'll probably age poorly, like most games that aim for "photo realism".

Each playable character has their own Super ability:- big black "space American" man can conjure a mobile shield; "space PI" lady can do electric melee attacks; "space Scottish" man can drop ammo. In solo play you have access to all three powers. It's early days, I haven't gotten into the habit of using the Supers.

I had awful frame pacing when running the FPS uncapped, so I capped it to 60. Most likely an issue on my end, since I'm running it at native 4K, so my hardware might not be strong enough (RTX 3080). I tried the game's resolution super-sampling, but lower resolutions actually produced worse performance according to the game's built-in benchmark.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Nobody cares about Xbox games, so I'm not surprised that Twitter weirdos haven't tried to cancel them for cultural appropriation. Those parasites normally are only attracted to popular things (i.e. not Xbox games).
    Tilting at windmills a bit, no?

Eva sounds like someone desperately trying to convince themselves they like games, while simultaneously listing all the reason they hate games

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh yeah, I've also been playing Metroid Dread and I mostly agree with Briareos and Aja up there. Samus movement animations are so damn nice, it's a joy just to run around in this thing. I like the EMMI bits a lot, tho when they catch you, doing counters is TOO HARD! Out of the probably 100 times I've been caught I've successfully countered maybe 3 times?

I think I'm getting close to the end, just got the upgrade that lets you scan for hidden blocks.

Despite liking metroidvanias, this is the first actual Metroid game I've played substantially.

I like the EMMI bits a lot, tho when they catch you, doing counters is TOO HARD!
    While I haven't played it myself, from the streamers I've seen play it the counter window seems to be 1-2 frames along with the EMMI using a random animation every time.

Can you guys recommend an arcade racing game for the PS4 with a good offline, single player campaign? For the PS3 I had NFS: The Run, where the cars handle too difficultly for such an arcade game, but I liked that it had a story in which the racing was embedded. I also like 'normal' locations like cities and countryside instead of racing circuits like F1 or Nascar games have. I'm looking at NFS: Heat, and there's also a GRID game for the PS4. What about The Crew? Is Wreckfest any good (I do really like FlatOut 2 for the PC)? I'm way too bad at racing games for a simulation game like Assetto Corsa and maybe even Project CARS. Even the new NFS Hot Pursuit as it went on became too difficult, the cops kept wrecking my car before I could reach the finish. Rally games are also not my thing. I want easy car handling, fun locations, preferably a story the racing is framed in, and phat beats while I'm driving, because I'm doing this after work to relax and not get frustrated. No online focused games like GT Sport by the way.

Might want to try Burnout Paradise Remastered. I'm not a big racing games player myself, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. There's no story, but it's all city stuff.

Out of the probably 100 times I've been caught I've successfully countered maybe 3 times?
    The voice in the game tells you it calculates a 99 percent chance of you not succeeding a parry, so you've tripled the odds!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Wow turns out I'm a PRO GAMER after all!

Also I finished the game. It was good!

Completed Fallout Tactics yesterday. This was a big milestone for me because it was the last boxed game in my possession I had never finished before. I used a couple of days off in the last three weeks to power through the campaign. In the last missions, my squad was fully equipped with energy weapons and power armor, able to obliterate anything in its path. At that point, I didn't care much for cover anymore and could instead just charge into rooms, firing from all cylinders, leaving heaps destroyed robots behind. This was very satisfying. In the first half of the game, the campaign felt a bit repetitive at times and could have benefitted from more interesting plot points, but overall, I enjoyed the game a lot. Furthermore, it is surprising how well the graphics hold up. The environments and models still look great.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718 LastLast