TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you playing in 2021?

I got started on my replay of Disco Elysium, since the Final Cut came out yesterday. I've not played particularly far, but my first impression of the across-the-board voice acting they've added is that it's very good and brings the dialogue to life without making things like emotional beats and subtext overly explicit, which is the case all too often. Also, the Revachol atmosphere still rules - it's one of those virtual places that I actively enjoy returning to.

I've been playing a lot of Dorf Romantik (although I don't really like the name).

It's basically single-player Carcassonne. It's interesting... I've played Carcassonne by myself lots of times where I'm just trying to maximize my own score, and I was already thinking of ways one could tweak the rules to make that a game in itself. And this game basically does it to a T.

It has some really nice & peaceful music, relaxed, at your own pace, bucolic, charming, tiles morph into each other in a cute way like Townscape, little trains & boats & birds coast pleasantly by ... and for all that, making a single move can be surprisingly intense, or single moves can build up in intensity, like a good game of Go. I think it slides on that boundary between chill & intense better than Carcassonne because of the way the challenges are doled out. In a way it's a little like 2048, not just in being quick & addicting, but in that you're gaming at different scales (some at <10 tiles, others at 200~300, and I'm guessing it keeps going up over time to ~1000+) at the same time in increasingly squeezed real estate. The better you get at it, the more you can sprawl out. If you make a mistake, early on it's no big deal; later on you get punished mercilessly for it. But even that's no big deal as you can just restart and get back pretty quickly.

I think I knew this game was always coming, since it seemed like such an obvious idea. But anyway, I'm happy it's here now. I really love it. Also good inspiration for me to work out my own tile game.

What is it you dislike about the game's name?

"Dorf" is German for village. I get it. It's bucolic and pastoral and all of that that gets you into the mood of the game ... if you're a German speaker. But in English Dorf sounds like the kind of noise you get when you punch a large ham. It just doesn't fit the mood at all! They're of course allowed to make a title in their native language, and I'm allowed to be alienated by it. The game is great so I don't mind all that much. A dorf by any other name...

Also in good news today, thanks for reminding me to look up this: "If you already own Disco Elysium then you get The Final Cut at no additional cost."

im not sure a large ham makes that kinda sound. Medium sized ham, yeh I could see that.

verbose douchebag
    Medium ham is more of a "pap" sound.

Is it a bit better if the title is written as one word - which it actually is, though the logo turns it into two words? That way the "Dorf" doesn't look quite as much like "Derp" or like an attempt at representing an attempt to stifle a fart in a comic book.

Also, dema, you guys need to work on your hams. A good ham should be way too compact to produce a 'dorf' sound when punched, unless you're punching it with a whoopee cushion.

Sounds like a game where dwarves fall in love to me.

I like that. Dwarfromantik. A kind of short-statured, Germanic Dream Daddy, just with heavier beardage.

Okay, okay, actually when I was thinking about what kinds of things, when punched, would sound like a dorf, probably because I've been watching a lot of The Terror, the first thing that came to mind was a large slack sail canvas hanging in front of me, a good duhm with the canvas carrying out the sound wave with a pleasing -oorffff.

But that seemed a bit obscure, I wasn't sure exactly how to describe it at the time, and frankly I just wanted to punch a large ham at that point. I don't know why. More for the texture & way it would feel against my knuckles as they burrowed in than the sound. But that's really all I needed.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Also, dema, you guys need to work on your hams. A good ham should be way too compact to produce a 'dorf' sound when punched, unless you're punching it with a whoopee cushion.
    Are you thinking of cured ham? Because cooked ham definitely has plenty of give.

Okay, you are right. Honestly, it's not as if I've ever really punched a ham, whether cured or cooked.

game idea note to self: a game about punching various-sized hams to create different sounds

EDIT: and if you get super lucky with your dice rolls you get - wait for it - CRITICAL HAMMAGE!!

I think it should be a rhythm game: Gammon Hero.

Or an action RPG, Pork Souls.

a fighting game Way of the Exploding Ham.

Thing What Kicks
    Oh come on, a fighting game about punching ham, and no-one's suggested "Ham Fisted"?!

Although, with a little punctuation, you could have David Cameron's favourite game, "Ham; fisted".

I thought he was porking it, though?

How about "Pork Romantic: Ham Fisted" as title?

Wham ham thank you ma'am

Thing What Kicks
    Ham jokes aside, I've been playing Death of the Outsider again.

And I reckon that mechanically, this might be the best Dishonored game. It strips out the morality system and doesn't punish me for using the tools at my disposal, meaning that I'm much more likely to continue playing when spotted instead of immediately hammering the quickload button. Sure, there are contracts that may require a traditional ghost approach, but those conditions are limited to that particular contract, and not the whole level or indeed, playthrough.

Even though it's one of my favourite franchises of the past ten years, I feel that previous Dishonored games did themselves a disservice by giving me lots of cool toys to play with, but then punishing me for using them.

Map-wise, I don't think there's anything that comes near the level of quality of the Clockwork Mansion or Stilton's Manor. The Bank gets close, but a lot of that's to do with how cool bank jobs generally are in immersive sims.

Still, it's an incredible expansion, and story-wise, probably better than the mainline narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by smallfry View Post
    Wham ham thank you ma'am
    More like... "That'll do, pig. That'll do."

im not done yet

verbose douchebag
    Started playing Detroit: Become Human. Despite the frequent crashing and atrocious camera vs which way you think you need to push to move that direction fuckery, it's pretty cool.

I'm amazed at how different my second playthrough of Disco Elysium is going, even though I don't think I'm playing my character all that differently from the first time. The thing that's changed most is that I don't do things in the same sequence - but this already, combined with the different results of key dice rolls, has completely changed the speed at which the main investigation progresses, and that in turn changes the context of so many of the conversations I'm having. In my first playthrough, I didn't get the corpse down before the fourth or fifth day, while this time I succeeded on my first day and then put him in cold storage overnight, which had a major impact on what follows.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast