TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you playing in 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    I personally recommend playing Subnautica on the non-Survival difficulty. All Survival does is give you the food and water meters that drain super fast.
    I look forward to the day when game developers learn the distinction between accessibility options and difficulty settings.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm like 15 hours into Survival mode now. I am hooked.

BUT ALSO I am learning how to be considerate by playing KUUKIYOMI: Consider It. Observe!

How would YOU be considerate in this situation?

I am being considerate by squatting when my friends are squatting. YOLO!

Oh no I'm only moderately considerate!

I get a feeling this doesn't really translate all that well. 空気を読む is not so much being considerate as being able to "read the air" or "read between the lines" and act according to unsaid social conventions.

Hmm... It's not exactly conventions (like taking off shoes when you see a little platform or the lowest in hierarchy sits in the chair closest to the door in a group setting) because those get drilled into you as a kid. It's more reading the situation of the group you're with & know how to handle them in the right way, like reading a room in English.

So consideration (for the group) is pretty close to the sense they want. I guess you could say dynamic or procedurally generated conventions. But e.g. if you couldn't read the air, they, well they probably wouldn't actually say you lack manners ("mannaa~") because that's also part of reading the air, but they'd be thinking it! It's a thing because pretty much half of what people say is left unsaid and the ultimate scale of whether you picked up on it well or not is "manners".

This says "Just about an okay ... kind of reading [the air]", or more literally "reading-like".

Since my job has moved to basically Japanese-only recently, this is my life now. XD

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    This says "Just about an okay ... kind of reading [the air]", or more literally "reading-like".
    Moderately... "being able to read the air"-like.

I guess "unsaid social conventions" is not really the best description either, but it's basically the things everybody expects you to do and nobody tells you about. Like not leaving right after a meal, but staying to make small talk for a while.
    Last edited by Starker; 30th Apr 2021 at 21:33.

The idea isn't hard to understand, but the actual things you're expected to know can be really culturally specific, although they wouldn't think they so since they grew up in it.

BTW, I'm thinking the answer to the first one is that the sumo guy would bowl himself over to make the kids felt like they could topple him.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I think that's right yeah. I backed the sumo out of the ring. The game only gives you a vague score(3rd pic) after each set of 5 challenges tho, so it's hard to know which ones you got right.

And some of the challenges certainly feel like they are quite specific to Japanese culture, where I just kinda gotta guess. Like at one point it asks which side of the escalator you should stand on in Tokyo, so people can pass. Then a while later asks which side you should stand on in Osaka. Are they different? I picked right side for both cause that's what we do here. But they also drive on the left side in Japan don't they? Did I fuck up? Who knows! The game is kinda wonky, but it's also 2,19€ right now and made me laugh out loud several times so I'd recommend it! Or if you just wanna hear about it, the How Did This Get Played podcast did a great episode on it.

While I did finish Heaven's Vault, sadly I didn't enjoy it as much as others did here. I wonder whether some of this is due to how open the game is, and that I went to the place that triggered the ending quite a bit earlier than you guys did. As a result, the overall story remained relatively patchy for me. I also found the game's art style to be rather hit-and-miss: I was okay with the 2D/3D mix and the slideshow animations, but I never warmed to the visual design of my robot companion Six, and the environments never stopped feeling like early-development placeholders.

Perhaps the biggest problem for me was that I never really warmed to the writing, especially in combination with the dialogue system, which gave me choice but very little agency. I'd have been okay with that if I'd at least known what the character was going to say, but the game isn't particularly forthcoming in that respect. Don't give me control over something if the control is illusory and meaningless, because that just distances me more from the characters and what they're saying than a non-interactive cut scene.

Level 10,000 achieved
    For some reason I saw a GTA 4 trailer and the nostalgia gripped me so hard I had to reinstall it. It's just like how I remembered it.

After finishing Saints & Sinners (a Walking Dead VR game), I'm now hoping to put in some hours in the cockpit, i.e. I'll finally check out IL-2 Battle of Pretty Much Everything. This weekend I've spent an hour or two setting everything up, in particular the controls (including HOTAS and rudder pedals). Since I'm far from well versed with sims, it is a bit of a faff, as it's not always clear what controls do what; for instance, there are two separate sets of controls for trimming, some of which work with some planes while other planes need the other one. Functionally, it seems to be the same, and the planes always use the one or the other but not both, so I don't get why the game splits these up into two separate sets of controls, but hey, I'm not a simhead, so what do I know? It's a fascinating, new world for me - but at least some of the fascination is intertwined with friction that tends to veer towards frustrating, doubly so because the game doesn't offer anything along the lines of a tutorial. Here's hoping that the community-made flight school missions I've downloaded will help me somewhat.

I've been playing DCS lately, the Korean War campaign with the F-86. All of my reflexes come from IL-2, which I've been playing since IL-2 1946 came out and then Stalingrad. The two translate decently.

If you thought IL-2 was complicated, DCS is ridiculous. I think one plane has 3 or 4 different kinds of trim, and I still don't have any real idea of the difference, and that's the least of it! I think the saving grace in both cases is that you can usually boil it down to a core set of controls you need. And the trick is you pick one plane at a time, and you get to know that plane really well.

Simming is an interesting kind of vibe. I was worried that the crazy controls for DCS would burn me out really quickly. Like 95% of the buttons and knobs are functional, and you have to use them correctly.

But I have to say, when you finally get it all down by reflex to the point you can cold start a plane, get it off the ground and in your formation for the long haul off to a mission, there's something really zen about the flow of it.

My other secret is I often just keep playing the same missions over & over, where I know every nuance (but with good dogfighting, etc., so it's still a challenge each time), then it's really about just being in the flow. That's something that's been true for both IL-2 and DCS for me.

I picked up the free epic game Pine, played it few a couple of hours. Its not bad actually, kind of a breath of the wild-lite, with crafting and basic survival elements.

@demagogue: I don't think I'll ever be a simhead, but every now and then I enjoy getting into a game like this for a while and then moving on again. Even just learning how to take off and land consistently in IL1946 was fun, but after some time I always gravitate back towards games that are heavier on story and characters or that are all about environments and exploring these - or, ideally, both.

Though some of the Battle of Stalingrad planes are hell to get off the runway due to... torque, is it? I tried taking off in the LaGG yesterday and just knowing how to counter the massive drift to the right with the rudder pedals requires a PhD in pedalology.

So months ago I obtained Octopus Traveler and played one story about some scholar dude (Cyrus?) that never really grabbed me. I just re-downloaded and gave it another go with a thiefy dude story and... it feels like a JRPG but I'm not enjoying it like a JRPG. I didn't know how to put my finger on it until I saw this 3 minutes dunkey video:

TL;DR the character stories are utterly generic and boring and the writing is... god, it's like someone who has a rough idea of what an archetype sounds like, described it to someone who never saw two humans communicate, and then that person wrote it down a week later from memory.

Octomom Travel Air just feels like there isn't a single believable line in my hour of play (srsly WHO talks like that???) and the thief character is, to put it bluntly, unlikable piece of shit. He has a "woe me" story that doesn't ravel anything and he acts like a dick to everyone because... because. I have absolutely no interest in helping him.

I mean, Garret wasn't exactly nice dude, but at least he oozed character!

I tried to like it, but Octomocto Travelavatory just feels like they took all the worst JRPG tropes and... that's it. It's just all the worst lazy JRPG in one neat package.

EDIT: at least it looks pretty, I'll give it that
    Last edited by Yakoob; 12th May 2021 at 03:36.

Started playing Assassin's Creed Black Flag. The main problem, is that the sailing, ship combat, and the whole 'Ahoy matey, let's plunder and drink rum, yarr" feeling doesn't really grab me. Game isn't bad at all though. The on foot parts are basically AC3, the real improvement is to the sailing, and I admit, there's some charm to traveling the seas and discovering locations and all, but for me the fun usually begins when I set foot somewhere.

Last session I sailed to an undiscovered location and found out that it's a Spanish plantation. The default mission in these places is finding the officer who carries the key to the storage, getting the key, and making it to the storage, which your crew loots in a cutscene. I managed to do that by stealthily taking down guards, without any alerts and without being detected. Now that was fun. So, the game is allright, but doesn't draw me in as much as AC3 did.

I got back to Nier Automata and this time finished the first boss without any difficulties. Now that I can actually save the game, I've warmed to it. It's inventive and moody and the music is great, though in terms of moment-to-moment gameplay I'm not really sold, and for every striking visual idea there are a stretches that are drab and that would've been considered ugly on a PS3. Having said that, I've just arrived at the Amusement Park and I'm definitely intrigued!

I found that the key to enjoying Nier: Automata was keeping the Auto-Potion ability equipped.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just started playing hex-based mountain-climbing roguelite Insurmountable today. Spent 3 hours with it, climbed the first 2 (out of 3) summits. I like climbing games, tho mostly physics-based ones like Grow Home and GIRP. This is obviously a quite different experience, less hands-on but instead focusing on planning out the best route and managing your supplies in harsh conditions. It is scratching a similar itch as other roguelite strategy games but I'm really pleased to see a game in this genre tackle a non-violent experience for once. Not because I have anything against violence, but just because it's so played out, and it's great seeing someone exploring new ground like this.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    ...and it's great seeing someone exploring new ground like this.
    I see what you did there.

Level 10,000 achieved
    This thing just came out

and I've already played through it. Very Very Valet is a lovely arcade physics game that gets a lot of variety out of its premise. Kinda pricey at €25 tho, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend anyone pick it up right away. Also only out on Switch yet.

Climbed a few more mountains in Insurmountable. Not sure if I wanna recommend it. The first climb was kinda easy, if you play carefully and thoughfully, and there's not a whole lot of variety on subsequent runs. I liked it tho, and the devs are adding more Events and whatnot, so maybe wait for a sale?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Played through Milkmaid of the Milky Way over the last few days.

It was in the itch BLM bundle. Adventure game, pretty nice story and aesthetic. The gameplay is very slick and streamlined, and the puzzles mostly make sense. Kinda short at ~2h, but a good time.

Speaking of the BLM bundle, there's going to be a similar megabundle for the benefit of Palestinians, likely launching in the next couple days, so something to keep an eye on. Seems to be almost 1000 submissions so far.

Done with Nier Automata’s Route A. While I’m still not into the game all that much, I want to see what all the fuss with the following routes is about - though I already know that Route B is unlikely to change my feelings all that much.

Edit: A quick P.S.: I got started on Route B yesterday, and while I see why people got bored with this, my first hour or so hasn't been bad. For one thing, since I know the game better by now and since I've done most of the side missions, moving on with the plot doesn't feel like too much of a hassle - I know where to go and what to do -, for another, I like the smaller and larger touches of adding to the story and characters that come with the change in perspective.
    Last edited by Thirith; 31st May 2021 at 03:42.

Quote Originally Posted by reizak View Post
    Speaking of the BLM bundle, there's going to be a similar megabundle for the benefit of Palestinians, likely launching in the next couple days, so something to keep an eye on. Seems to be almost 1000 submissions so far.
    I participated in the last Social Justice bundle and reached out to Itch support about it after since it might have some legal/accounting implications. It was not the first time to reached out to Itch support, but as before, they never responded to me despite multiple follow ups. It's never a good sign when you're doing business with someone and they never respond to your emails...

Anyways, I just played the Farlanders Demo and it was surprisingly good. It's a Mars base building game with terraforming elements that's kind of a mix between strategy and puzzle. Overall it feels elegant and well designed. My only caveat is that, after I beat the demo (in like 2-3 hrs) I felt like I've seen all the game has to offer, and trying a new run doesn't feel substantially different. But maybe with future random events, new buildings/resources or other mechanics, it could bring a lot more reparability.

Either way, would definitely recommend checking the demo out. There's a Kickstarter too that just got funded.

Last edited by Yakoob; 31st May 2021 at 06:14.

I played through Assassin's Creed Black Flag recently. I didn't like the ship parts in AC3 much, so I didn't really expect to like this game, but it ended up being fun enough. The on foot mechanics are basically the same as in AC3, slightly fine tuned, and with less options, like not having support from friendly assassins this time. Also, most combat encounters can be easily handled with smoke bomb, of which we can carry a lot. I appreciate not having a notoriety system this time, except on sea, which is easy to keep low.

The focus was definitely on the ship gameplay, and it's done well, its just that I don't really find the ship combat fun, and there's a lot of that in here. Still, I enjoyed sailing the seas, exploring the map, listening to the crew singing. It has its charm, but the parts I enjoyed the most was the on foot stuff, like stealthily looting warehouses. Looking for loot based on drawn maps was nice too, and I also liked whaling. I also did assassin contracts, but most of those were trivilaized by berserk darts. There was one that was kind of cool though, where you had to descend to the seafloor without any equipment, swim into a hidden smugglers cave, and take out the target there. Story missions were allright, but there were too many instafail tailing missions. These got tiresome by the end.

On a random tone, I would've liked having some kind of autopilot for the ship. What I liked to do in Origins, is to set a destination for my horse, and then just chill and watch the terrain pass by. Would've been cool to let someone take the ship's wheel, while I could walk around on deck, climb the mast, or something.

Visuals are great as usual for this franchise, meaning the locations, clothes, architecture look great, and well done. Too bad there are few unique locations and cities, most of the places are jungle, plantations and pirate ports.

The story didn't grab me in the beginning, and I found Edward to be quite forgettable, but by the end there was enough development to make it interesting. I feel the first half of the game is mainly for those who are already into the pirate stuff, and just want to see the famous historical characters in action. Most of these were new to me, but now having played the game, and having read up on the topic a bit, I can say I am now familiar with these famous pirates and the whole golden age of piracy. Interesting era.

So, all in all, this game was allright. I can't really name anything about it that was bad, it's just that it covered a topic that I'm not really into. Still, it was fun and I don't regret playing it. Gonna play Unity next some time.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast