TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1 Million Units Contest - Alcazar (Jan 1, 2021)

nicked: Take a closer look in the room with the statue.

I must be blind... The only frobbable thing I can find in there is the book to open the room to the left. But my sword is hitting quite a lot in that room so I've no doubt there's more to find.

I think you're referring to the large bookcase that's sitting in the room to the right of the statue when you're facing it, correct? If this is the case then this one is opened from that secret room to the left of the statue.

@nicked: You mean bookcase on east side? I suspect it's just normal entrance to this area. After taking Spell Book normal path is being blocked and you must find another way out. Never found any switch in secret room.

I was mesmerized by the little cave with the bell. beautiful mission.

I almost gave up when I realized I was missing the fire key, but glad I manned up and went down again. I'm only two missions in and already have a hard time choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    @nicked: You mean bookcase on east side? I suspect it's just normal entrance to this area. After taking Spell Book normal path is being blocked and you must find another way out. Never found any switch in secret room.
    Ah yes you're right - it's where I came from; it shuts off the entrance when the statue is awakened.

Finished this mission in 30 minutes on "normal" difficult, loved every second of it, loved the original well crafted obscure places, immerse ambient, very satisfying gameplay, i always loved Schlock work.

Many thanks for this excellent production , will definitely receive a very high score from me. Will replay it later in "expert" mode.

I've just finished this on Expert and absolutely loved it! Very much classic Thief Gold game play. It's very impressive! Thanks very much! I had a great time playing it.

Lord Soth has updated the Taffers Paradise archive for this mission so I updated the OP with a new link.

Finished on expert and absolutely loved it. Thanks to Schlock and Squadfroinx for this very entertaining mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Relayer2112 View Post
    Finished on expert and absolutely loved it. Thanks to Schlock and Squadfroinx for this very entertaining mission.
    Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto

Huge amount of content in a tiny package. Loads of fun. Intriguing. Scary in places.

Excelent Mission, I enjoyed it a lot. Finished with 3304 on lot.

I jumped like a hell with the Fu**ing spider.

I cannot find the ruby. I keep running around looking for it to no avail. Any hints?

Light spoiler - Check around the Merchant's abode.

Medium spoiler - Rubies make for good decoration in big rooms.

Direct spoiler - There's a sword on the wall in the big round room with the guard that has the ruby adorned on its hilt.
    Last edited by Psych0sis; 15th Jan 2021 at 06:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Psych0sis View Post
    Light spoiler - Check around the Merchant's abode.

Medium spoiler - Rubies make for good decoration in for big rooms.

Direct spoiler - There's a sword on the wall in the big round room with the guard that has the ruby adorned on its hilt.
    I would have never found it! Thanks!

Blackness

I have a problem technically with this one. Certain images, like stone wall, tables, cupboards etc. are completely black. Once in the courtyard where Alcazar's grate is, going into the next section is all darkness, except the piping on the walls of the building. No fun to play like that. What needs to done?

Quote Originally Posted by Acolyte6 View Post
    What needs to done?
    Playing it in Thief Gold instead of Thief 2.

super big thanx to the mappers for this one... it is my favorite of the contest... i played it with texture filtering off because it feels right that way in this map... will this be a hint of what's to come in black parade?! can't wait for that!

Thank you for this great mission. I had a lot of fun playing it.
    Finished it on expert with only 200 loot left.

played on expert, completed in just over 1 hour; missing ~500loot
    this is an excellent example of my favorite type of mission, tons of content packed into a small area.
    I'm very curious as to what the world would look like from outside the playable area; can anyone take screenshots (or post a link to show me how to see it)?

"Alcazar Out-of-Bounds" gallery https://imgur.com/a/rfjFSpN

They say seeing is believing, and yet I still have a hard time believing the mission really is that small and compact. The entrance to Alcazar's underground manor certainly felt like it was far deeper underground than it actually is.

Maybe Schlock should start teaching a college course on level design, with the final project being a million-unit-sized level in DromEd/Unity/Unreal/etc. Goodness knows I certainly could've used a course like that...

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBogan View Post
    "Alcazar Out-of-Bounds" gallery https://imgur.com/a/rfjFSpN

I mean *ahem* just as I suspected.
    lots of layering zones between each other, and having long connections. Really clever!

This mission was awesome. It was like the abridged version of a great adventure story. It checks all the boxes and delivers all the experiences one after another. To use another word, it's dense. What I liked most, atmospherically, was how strongly I felt the sensation of being deep inside a complex structure, one which I couldn't keep a complete picture of in my head. And the areas aren't just creative architecturally, they also have a variety of fun sneaking challenges, including some very cool traps. My favorite was the drill area with all the crunchy gravel and the guy up above.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast