TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 Million Units Contest - Alcazar (Jan 1, 2021)

1 Million Units Contest - Alcazar (Jan 1, 2021)

This thread is for any discussion or questions related to the mission Alcazar by Schlock (with much help from Squadfroinx).
    You can download the mission HERE or HERE.
    The contest thread is HERE.

Please give clues instead of outright solutions when helping others and use the spoiler tag when you do this.

Remember that this mission is for THIEF GOLD!
    Last edited by skacky; 9th Jan 2021 at 09:20. Reason: Updated mirror archive

finished this last night ,i loved it a lot,but i wish at the end i had 6 fire arrows saved and 1 explosive device,would have been cool if i could have lit the 6 torches above the last tomb,6 graves to open a pathway to a blocked boulder/etc to use explosive device to get a easter egg room for keeping those items till the end

very impressed by this mission,congrats and thank you so much for making it

Wow, what a great little mission this one is, and I would never have believed it falls into the category of less than 1 million Dromed units, it appears enormous.

Schlock you have excelled, so much of an improvement on your last 2 contest missions, so much to discover (wait till you see the zombies), some lovely little touches that sometimes are a bit unnerving moving statues, spinning skulls, rocking statue heads etc. Overall it's a clever map that's both confusing, well executed and although this is only the first mission I have played I would think this is a serious contender to win the contest.

Well I got back to the tavern and only found 2300g loot and haven't found the spell book, so no I'm not finished with this one yet.

Instant classic mission and a nice reminder of why in my book TG will always be on a different level than T2, atmosphere is absolutely unmatchable.

Many thanks!!

I'm also stuck on the spell book, have all other objectives on Expert.

- prjames

i can help with spell book area get book sword bash statue till dead then in one of the area's look up rope arrow out,hit lever to open a panel to get back in mission

Just finished this one, and what a fantastic mission Schlock! I can clearly see the resemblance between this and Into the Odd. Very unpredictable but highly immersive and atmospheric. I also agree on fortuni's statement that it seems bigger than it should be, but that's just great use of space. Two thumbs up!!

Found 3095 loot, so I'm missing 330. I'll take a run through tomorrow and see if I can find some more.

**Direct spoilers!**
    Hidden loot I found was:
    - Coins behind painting at Morsult Is it Morsult or Mosult? The objectives and map say different...
    - Gold nugget in factory attic
    - Loot in hidden shrine above warehouse in mines, this room also has key that leads to more loot downstairs
    - Fire poker in room next to room with spellbook (frob book to find)
    - Diamond on ceiling beam in haunted manor
    - Artifact on criss cross beams top floor of haunted manor
    - Ring, nugget and tiny coin in tiny garden when you fall down black pit

As for the spellbook, I'm not sure if you understood downwinder's comment, but it's in the basement of the haunted manor. Look for something to frob to open the gate.
    Last edited by klatremus; 2nd Jan 2021 at 03:38.

Finished this one in almost 1 hour and found 3027 loot. Mission is claustrophobic and is a maze. Luckily it's not that bad. Mission looks good, there is a lot of detail. Mission feels a bit like Thief 1 Anniversary Contest mission. There is so many different locations (tavern, mansion, sewers, mine, ice area, fire area, haunted house) that mission feels unfocused.

Some bugs or odd stuff I noticed: guard from Merchant House got stuck while walking in place in front of double door (there was no wall blocking him). Save/load didn't help. Brick pillars near thief are solid for some reason. And haunts in last place are deaf, I killed one and nearby haunts didn't hear that for some reason.

Mission would be all right, but it has major drawback for me. Ambient sound is too loud for me and it's volume is connected to general sound setting. I have sensitive ears, so I can't listen to loud sounds, so I usually lower ambient sound volume. But here it doesn't work. Ambient volume doesn't affect ambient sound. So I was forced to lower general sound setting to low level, but because of that I couldn't hear Garrett's footsteps and enemies sounds. At least there isn't too many enemies. But still, this mission was painful for me to play.

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    Found 3095 loot, so I'm missing 330. I'll take a run through tomorrow and see if I can find some more.
    Did you find...

- the goblet and necklace (worth 215 combined) in the overgrown cave, accessed through the underwater tunnel between the flooded mine and the waterway next to the tavern
    - the floating, patrolling gold skull (worth 100) on the third floor of the haunted manse, near the torture chamber with the spinning skull trap (there was a bug during testing where this piece of loot could disappear. I think we fixed it, but we didn't have time to test that very exhaustively)
    - the silver nugget worth 15 nestled in the rafters of the room where you use the fire and water key - this one is different from the spinning diamond you can find between the rafters of another room

This doesn’t bode well. I used up 6 fire arrows attacking haunts or whatever, and I’m now hiding in a dark corner while some other character walks about saying “What, don’t wake me up” and I read downwinder’s post suggesting fire arrows are good for things elsewhere. And I have the explosive device and nothing to detonate with. Another fine mess I got myself in!

Quote Originally Posted by Aged Raver View Post
    This doesn’t bode well. ...and I read downwinder’s post suggesting fire arrows are good for things elsewhere. And I have the explosive device and nothing to detonate with.
    There is nothing special to do with the explosive charge or fire arrows. They are provided only for your haunt-killing pleasure. No limited-use items are required to complete the mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlock View Post
    There is nothing special to do with the explosive charge or fire arrows. They are provided only for your haunt-killing pleasure. No limited-use items are required to complete the mission.
    In my wandering i found an upper small garden with a semi-submerged door with a big x on it, was almost sure to break it with the explosive charge and find something behind but was not the case

@ Klatremus

I've just finished making a lootlist for this mission, which was not easy, if your still missing any loot PM me what you have found I give you some pointers as to where to seek the rest.

First I thought "Oh no, not another daylight mission", but it turned out to be dark enough. The mission was creepy and complex enough, excellent crafted with the original Thief1 feeling!

Looted 2379/3425, but couldn't open the door with the number 4 upon it.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Zappenduster is key for that unit is nearby. Climb up in unit 3

I'm huge fan of the way the spaces are arranged in your missions, Schlock. All areas have something close to miniatures, lego sets, dollhouses, dioramas, and such - where illusion of space is created inside forms that initially wouldn't makes sense. Combined with all the little jokes, nonsense and spooks in details, creates excellent visually missions.
    Hard to choose fave situation/place in this mission. There are few and none of them are brilliant to share. Without context of contest, I had a fun time playing it.

Mission completed with full loot and i must say it was an extremely enjoyable ride, great locales and magnificent atmosphere. A bit of sadness caught me when i pressed the quit button as unfortunately missions like these are not common.

Until now clear contest winner in my judgement.

@fortuni: I will go through the mission again later today to look for remaining loot, was busy this morning. Didn't look at schlocks list to avoid direct spoilers. I'll PM you my current loot list once it's as complete as I can get it.

@wycha: You perfectly put into words what I was thinking. Schlock has a humorous tendency to alter objects and textures to almost fit, but not entirely. It makes you uneasy yet amused at the same time. Items are displayed in unnatural ways, too big or too small, or sometimes distorted. It's weird but intriguing at the same time. My favorite part oddly enough was the floor pattern in the haunted house. It was tiled, but seemed skewed and angled in a strange way. Attractive and provocative.

Your style definitely is my cup of tea, Schlock.

Thanks guys. To give credit where it's due, a lot of the cool little details in this mission were done by squadarofl (as I said in the readme, for instance he came up with the individualized zombie outfits in the mines). We both like doing weird details like that, but it was by helping him out with Into the Odd that I learned how to do it.

and @klatremus: to give you the spoiler-free version of some important info from my last post: in the beta there was a bug where a piece of loot worth 100 could disappear permanently. I think we fixed it, but if you get down to the last 100 don't spend too much time searching because it's possible that the bug slipped by in a rarer form.

This is an amazing mission, and the very definition of "best use of space." I'm sure if I played through again tomorrow, I'd still find a bunch of new stuff. I have no idea how I missed 1200 in loot.

Was there any specific usage for the Explosive Device?

Thanks for releasing this little and great mission. I had a lot of fun playing this. I especially liked how well the atmosphere was created in this little city. The torn-down and somehow dirty city passages just gave me the original Thief vibe. I liked the mazey mine section and the haunted house deep down in the earth. These living statues were really nasty.

[...] I must say it was an extremely enjoyable ride, great locales and magnificent atmosphere. A bit of sadness caught me when i pressed the quit button as unfortunately missions like these are not common.
    Nothing to add from my side. This mission was truly an excellent cut gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Was there any specific usage for the Explosive Device?
    I tried to use it all over the place, and the only thing I blew up was myself, so I don't think so.

i was told no use for fire arrows or explosive charge

but my idea was if they update mission ever to have us use the 6 fire arrows on last rooms torches above the 6 tomb torches then have a door open where you use explosive charge to get into a easter egg room

You ever play a mission where you load it up, and merely seconds into it you already know it it's gonna be a treat? This is one of them

Found some more loot:
    - Necklace and goblet in grassy cave above canal. I actually found these the first time through, but reloaded and just forgot to go back.

Questions:
    1. I found an 'X' on what looks like a board panel in a small grassy roof area in the city. It has 2 trees in it and some plants. It looked like something is hidden behind but I can't find a button for it.
    2. Not too far from #1 I found a wooden shutter you can open with a fly swarm and big statue behind. Then right next door a partly bricked in room with some more statue behind, and what looks like a corridor that goes over towards the other statue behind the shutter, but I can't be sure. Any way to get in there?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast