TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 Million Units Contest - A Midsummer Night's Heist (Jan 1, 2021)

1 Million Units Contest - A Midsummer Night's Heist (Jan 1, 2021)

This thread is for any discussion or questions related to the mission A Midsummer Night's Heist by Rotten Burrick of a Master.
    You can download the mission HERE or HERE.
    The contest thread is HERE.

You can download a French translation HERE.

Please give clues instead of outright solutions when helping others and use the spoiler tag when you do this.

Remember that this mission is for THIEF 2!
    Last edited by skacky; 21st Jan 2021 at 16:34. Reason: Added French translation

The author made an exemplary piece of work: he avoided all the bad things and didn't forget to add some good things

Really:

1) Voice in the intro is very easy to hear. Obviously, it would be better with subtitles but who cares about those who are not native English speakers? Surely not those who know English well.

2) Very neat map. Useless, though: the room layout is logical and very easy to navigate.

3) Ghosting is optional. Nice move. Keep it this way!

4) Exploring is interesting. There are some things in unexpected locations.

5) Traditional coins ARE in the fountain. Nice.

The mission isn't small. It took me exactly 1 hour to finish it with 3131 loot and 3/6 secrets. But I'm not the fastest taffer in the City.

And the most interesting thing: I don't remember anything bad about this mission. No glitches, no typos. Extremely polished mission.
    Last edited by A.Stahl; 1st Jan 2021 at 10:23.

A.Stahl please use spoiler tags on items that are specific about the mission.

Edit: This is a very good mission. I love the architecture, and it was relatively easy to finish. I ended up with 3435 loot and 4 secrets.

The only issue I had is that I got stuck between a tree and the wall in the back yard.
    Last edited by john9818a; 1st Jan 2021 at 15:48.

love the look of this mission, a well-crafted love letter to Heart of Bohn. recognized it the moment i entered the sewers. now to wait and see if that author name is just a cheeky reference or a paper thin alias.

mission complete,i like it

Finished this mission in almost 1 hour and collected 3190 loot and only 2 secrets. That's a good mission with good map. I used that a lot. Voice from movie is really good, too bad it isn't used during the mission.. Finding lost key didn't feel too good - I just blindly frobbed random place without thinking and suddenly I noticed that I picked up key. Weird, because after reading notes, I didn't notice any hint about it's hiding spot. Also I was surprised seeing polish names in readables. That was fun mission.
    Last edited by Galaer; 2nd Jan 2021 at 06:25.

This is a visually stunning mission and very well laid out, many ways to get where you need to go!
    A very good entry.
    pwl

Finished this heist with 2761/3480. A good architecure, I only couldn't find the key(s) for the gate locks in the basement.

Experienced some bad lags in some rooms.
    Last edited by zappenduster; 2nd Jan 2021 at 14:43.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

I just noticed an odd thing in this mission. It has fm.cfg that forces fog to turn on. Except this mission doesn't have any fog. So fog setting in fm.cfg is completely useless.

Finished this mission on Normal mode in 1 hr 5 mins 59 sec, found 2326 loot out of 3480, secrets found 0 out of 6. The architecture looked too good to be true, like it was made with some modern engine. Great looking mission. But finishing it was too easy, like a walk in the park. Knocked out some guards in the way, stole the gem, returned to the sewers and that was all. Overall a solid mission, 8/10 score from me.
    Last edited by Master of Dromed; 2nd Jan 2021 at 19:11.

You play the mission on Normal which is easy mode for Thief and then complain the mission is too easy?

Well i am not complaining, was just the first impression after the first playthrough. I always start on normal first all missions, then hard and last expert I will try on hard and expert the next days.

Great mission and unique outside design of the mansion! Goes well with the vegetation.

However, I'm short on loot on expert. I only have 2599 and I do feel I've been everywhere in the area. I also miss 20 on the 450 in gems requirement.
    Last edited by ticky; 3rd Jan 2021 at 06:32.

There is some jewelry on stands in top floor corridor that can be missed. Also did you found gems mentioned in one of readables?

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    There is some jewelry on stands in top floor corridor that can be missed. Also did you found gems mentioned in one of readables?
    I think I missed both things you mention, I'll take a look into it, thank you very much!

Just finished this one and what a difference to Alcazar that was.

The author has built an extremely good looking mansion, if a little too crisp and clean, just look at the sewers, you could almost eat your diner off the floor in the sewers if you were so inclined, but unless you had informed me I would have had no idea that this mission was an entrant for a contest that had a restricted size, so I'm not sure if that should help or detract from voting in the 'Best use of space' criteria, guess you could argue that point both ways.

Apart from that nit picking it was a lovely small mansion mission, and yes I also found it too easy, but then again I KO everybody in sight, so maybe other players may consider ghosting this mission for an extra level of difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    unless you had informed me I would have had no idea that this mission was an entrant for a contest that had a restricted size, so I'm not sure if that should help or detract from voting in the 'Best use of space' criteria, guess you could argue that point both ways.
    Clearly it should help, otherwise you'd be deducting points because the mission used space too convincingly; that makes no sense.

I'm only commenting on my expectations in comparison to other missions that have been in restricted size contests, such as your excellent Alcazar as well as others such as The Tower, Temple of the Tides, Affairs of Wizard etc, all of which were appeared be very much more compact maps than this mission. I'm not a mapper myself so I can't imagine how big 1 million Dromed units actually are, but when I compare this mission to others it just didn't feel like it was built within the same parameters. Guess I was expecting yet another small map with loads of restricted spaces which this mission certainly does not have.

I don't see how that's a bad thing. If anything, it's a huge upside that a mission that had to be built within a restricted space seems bigger than it is. And yeah, it does fit within one million units like all others.

I never said it was a bad thing, it's just that it threw me as it was so completely different from what I was expecting.

What a nice little mission, I love the architecture and quality. I didnīt mind it being on the easier side either, itīs a nice change for once and it makes you appreciate the rooms and looks even more

A big thanks to the author!!

This mission comes next, oh what a beautiful mansion <3. Exploring is still in progress, found only the half amount of the secrets. :O

Quote Originally Posted by zappenduster View Post
    [spoil] I only couldn't find the key(s) for the gate locks in the basement
    You maybe have already found it, but there is a lost key at the end of the water flow down in the sewers/basement do you mean that key?

@ticky: for loot - there is also a tiny and hard-to-find diamond ring in the loo somewhere, it is also one of the secrets as well

Mission finished with 3427/3480 loot and 5/6 secrets Loved it, well designed, lovely, and tricky at some points.

Could you give me a hint please where to find the last one secret? found so far:
    1. in sewers more in one of the round rooms
    2. in garden high up more near sewer entrance
    3. in toilet
    4. in study
    5. in attic more see Miss Vasco's notes
    6. ??

Where should i search for the last one? Thank you
    Last edited by Cheela; 4th Jan 2021 at 02:36.

Well, this was a beautiful little mission. I was positively surprised this little manor had so many possible entrances; also the rooms in the upper floor could accessed by the attic or via open windows and it was compulsory to bypass one locked door to the lordīs chambers. This gave me a lot enjoyment via gameplay and the urge to try different routes to bypass the security.

from the point of view of architecture this was the most beautiful mission of the contest I played so far.

Sadly I only found just one of six secrets - must be well hidden.

Playing on Normal I found 3044 loot and 2 secrets. I have an idea where a third secret is but can’t locate a switch. Thoroughly enjoyed it and I'll endeavour to find more another day. Very nice mission and I agree with the other comments of praise. Congratulations and Thank You

Download link is broken! Couldn't preview file. It says

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast