TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1 Million Units Contest - The Turning of the Leaves (Jan 1, 2021)

Nicked this is a brilliant mission, I'm loving every minute of it, so thank you.

I haven't read any comments above as I don't want to spoil myself, but have others noticed the victrola in the entrance lobby of the thieves hideout? It's facing a hole in the wall and is playing recorded undead noises to the outside world as an extra concealment decoy, what a classy touch that is.

i despair by getting the lockpicks . can't find them.

what should i do with all this flowers?

Quote Originally Posted by radogoal View Post
    what should i do with all this flowers?
    You need to discover the secret area in the thieves' hideout to discover the use for them.

Finished with only 4030/4710 loot and 3/7 secrets, not sure if those are good stats or about average for this mission.

One thing I did notice which I found annoying but may have been purposeful design but when I used the flowers on the conveyor belt of the Universal Amalgamator when you drop one of your collected flowers you drop every one of those flowers, not just one at a time, I had loads of every flower in my inventory, made a few potions and suddenly realised I didn't have any more of the required flowers left in my inventory, luckily I hadn't saved yet so reloaded and dropped all of my flowers in the weapons training room, and had to go back for one flower at a time when I started making potions again. Not game breaking but certainly annoying, apart from that absolutely 10/10 for every other aspect of this mission.

can someone spoil me where the lock picks are,....I must be blind?

This is a great fan mission.
    Things I liked about the Mission:
    great atmosphere (Rain, Soundtrack, lighting)
    lots of new awesome ideas (Crafting machine, beeing able to create potions and gear, new enemies)
    Perfect level design with nice details (Awesome looking waterfall, Fish swimming in an aquarium, collectible plants, swirling moths in the swamp)
    A very nice and detailed map for navigation.
    Great voice acting!!!!

Things I did not like
    Two guards in the bar of the thiefs hideout where nearly impossible to sneak by and always discovered me for no reason when I tried to blackjack them from behind. In the end I had to kill them cause their awarness level was to high.

In the end it was one of the best fan missions I ve played yet. It is an adventure style fan mission. For me it is 9,2 of 10. We need more adventure fan missions like this.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    Finished with only 4030/4710 loot and 3/7 secrets, not sure if those are good stats or about average for this mission.

One thing I did notice which I found annoying but may have been purposeful design but when I used the flowers on the conveyor belt of the Universal Amalgamator when you drop one of your collected flowers you drop every one of those flowers, not just one at a time, I had loads of every flower in my inventory, made a few potions and suddenly realised I didn't have any more of the required flowers left in my inventory, luckily I hadn't saved yet so reloaded and dropped all of my flowers in the weapons training room, and had to go back for one flower at a time when I started making potions again. Not game breaking but certainly annoying, apart from that absolutely 10/10 for every other aspect of this mission.
    That... shouldn't happen. Are you sure you played the 1.1 version?

Lockpicks are in the hideout. More precisely: in Yaren's room (next to the toilet)

@fortuni - Regarding the flowers, if you press the "use" key (right click for me) on the flowers, it will drop the whole stack of flowers. Actually, it throws them forward quite a bit. But you can also just use the "Drop Item" key (R for me), and it will only drop one object at a time from the stack, right in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaiô View Post
    Two guards in the bar of the thiefs hideout were nearly impossible to sneak by and always discovered me for no reason when I tried to blackjack them from behind. In the end I had to kill them cause their awarness level was to high.
    The one behind the bar goes in & out of the room right next to the bar, so you can KO the other one & remove him before the other comes back out, then next time he heads in you can quickly go around & KO him on the way into that room. Also you can KO the two guys having the conversation where you first entered, then the one guy never gets to the bar area leaving just the other behind the bar.

I absolutely loved this mission - the forest felt so alive! I especially liked the various alchemy ingredients; I wish more FMs would include crafting machines.

Found 4160 / 4710 loot, 3 / 7 secrets, and 3 bonus objectives.

Unintentionally I finished long before I meant to on 3100/4710 with 2/7 secrets (and without looking for spoilers, which is good for me). So much to praise. In many notes, at different times I jotted down Craftsmanship, Style, Lots of imagination, Professional. Playing on Normal Iíve no idea what Iíve missed nor whatís at Hard and Expert levels but with some missions I just feel relief to get through. With this mission truly itís been a pleasure and Iíll be picking up from where I last saved to go further. After enjoying the quality of a mission I always want to read the credits and see the names of everyone involved and what they did. Thank you very much nicked and all those folks! Much appreciated! PS Thanks for the bolt cutters.

Update: Finished on 4285/4710 and 3/7 secrets on Normal. I failed to find old Mother Drufford in the next valley or the Hammeriteís Library Maleficarum so I'm not sure what to do with all the stuff I collected. I could be barking up the wrong tree (!) but Iím thinking Rebecca needs help. If experiments donít work out Iíll look for spoilers. Brilliant mission!

Update 2: Ah! I had found the Universal Amalgamator early on but as there was a lot to read and I thought machine noise would attract attention I left it to go sort out the thieves. My only excuse is that I was so busy laughing at finding a thief knitting basket and some fluffy slippers I forgot to return. Why didn't I just close the secret door and make gallons of invisibility potion? I could have used some when retrieving the Idol of Blood. I'm still 425 short but now that I've looked up the meaning of lycanthropy I hopefully know what my good deed should be.

Update 3: Very satisfying and it makes sense. I like to think Garrett would have found a dressing-gown or blanket. Perhaps if I hadn't black-jacked the husband things might have been different? I didn't think I would like the Universal Amalgamator. I was wrong. Once I'd written down what I wanted and the order to make things, I loved it. I hadnít found any Emberglow Crystal and assume the obvious fireplace to have a fire safe, warm and to dry is the place where the mission ends before I can do anything, at least on Normal. I'm still missing some secrets and I like this mission so much that I'll have to cheat. Thanks again.

Update 4: Thanks to posts by Cheela and Brethren I now have all secrets and am just 55 loot short so will stop here. I never did find the Emberglow Crystal Edit: Found it. As others have said, it's too late to use it.

Very small point regarding a secret: In Fingolís Room I hit the wall covering with a sword and it gave off ďdustĒ in the way that sometimes a wooden door does. So I hit it 3 or 4 times and it opened revealing the secret room which was good but you still have to find the switch for the Number of Secrets discovered to increase.
    Last edited by Aged Raver; 8th Jan 2021 at 10:10. Reason: Update

@ Nicked + Brethren

Yep my bad, was throwing not drop flowers.

Wonderful atmospheric mission with interesting objectives. A bit annoying : the invisible monsters with green eyes, I died many times trying to kill them until I decided to sneak past them like a real thief would

Oh dear, none of my homemade mines work!
    No one triggers them except me: If I want to gas someone, I have to walk over the mine myself, ensuring the intended victim is close by.

Enjoyed this one - managed to dispose of the green-eyed demons by bashing them from round a corner - takes around 12 hits..

Last edited by frobbin hood; 6th Jan 2021 at 10:40.

The v1.1 zip file has now been updated with some changes and corrections to the Russian translation, and now also with a typo correction in German.
    Last edited by nicked; 7th Jan 2021 at 17:22.

Very enjoyable! I attempted to ironman The Turning of the Leaves. During the first attempt, I got spotted after about two minutes by one of the thugs, ran away, ended up at the hut, found that key, managed to get to the second floor, but then somehow lost the sword duel against him. During the second attempt, I eventually made a couple of saves because the mission was larger than anticipated and I did want to avoid having to restart. I ended up finishing this run on Normal difficulty after 1 hour and 23 minutes. I got a measly 3151 / 4710 loot and 2 / 7 secrets. Got spotted a few times and was forced to kill 7 enemies.

Things I particularly liked:
    • It is difficult to pull off a forest setting within the limitations of the Dark Engine. This mission is one of the more successful attempts.
    • The mission appeared much larger than what I expected to be possible within the size restriction of the contest.
    • The automap was very helpful.
    • I have not seen the custom enemies in other missions. I loved their addition.
    • There are also many custom objects. I stood a while in front of the fish tank, admiring it.
    • Support for 5 languages? That's impressive!
    • Excellent mission info file! Everything was well documented.

Things that could be improved:
    • The hideout basement is a flat surface with corridors and doors - not the most interesting layout.
    • I can see the edge of the map at the end of the stream in the forest.
    • When you pick up the female leader in the hideout, the engine displays her as a male bluecoat flung over Garrett's shoulder.
    • When you knock out or kill a thug wearing a mask and carry him, his masks floats in the air in front of you. If possible, the mask should drop to the ground, similar to the lanterns the first two thugs are carrying.

This was an absolute blast of a ride!!! Finished my first playthrough in 2hrs 15min with 4315 loot out of 4710, and 5 out of 7 secrets. Got 2 bonus objectives: curing the beast, and mapping the forest. Did the optional objective too. I also managed to kill all the beasts at the temple. This is a near perfect mission for me, with only small details to complain about. The only drawbacks would be that all the similar looking forest pathways got a bit tedious, and also the mass amounts of custom objects got a bit distracting. But I'm nitpicking.

The story in this one was 10/10, and it felt massive so 10/10 for use of space as well. I'll pull 1 point for design, so a 29 out of 30 total. That's the highest out of the first 5 releases for me, so congrats. Could be a winner this, but I'm not sure this mission is for everyone. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    I also managed to kill all the beasts at the temple.
    Did you kill the "boss"?

I just finished this and gotta say I really loved it too! I played on normal, since I expected some creepy monsters to appear (since itīs a fanmission from Nicked) and right I was

I have a few questions:

1.I read sth. about a wand in this mission. Is this only on expert mode or did I miss sth. big? If yes, where can I find it and what do I need it for? Is it by chance for curing the beast? I was too afraid of the monsters so I skipped on that part

2. I read here that a 2. bonus objective is to map the forest. I totally missed that, what do I need to do for that?

3. what was the firelighter and flint & stone for? I thought I will need it for my warm and cozy place in the hut, but in the end I just had to go in the hut and the last objective ticked off without me ever using them

1. The wand is used in the temple in the south part of the level - it's optional.
    2. You just need to visit every location so it's drawn on the map.
    3. There is a bonus objective if you light the fire in the hut, but it's also optional.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    1. The wand is used in the temple in the south part of the level - it's optional.
    2. You just need to visit every location so it's drawn on the map.
    3. There is a bonus objective if you light the fire in the hut, but it's also optional.
    To point 3: I thought so. Its a pity you cant do that anymore after you finish everything else. I wanted to do it at the end when I return to the hut.

Also forgot to mention: A big thanks to the translator for the german translation, it was really great!

Also forgot to say: Loved the thieves disguising as undeads. I totally fell for that trap and killed the first guy with my sword instead of just blackjacking him. The disguise costed him his life
    Last edited by Samantha1; 9th Jan 2021 at 11:41. Reason: Forgot to say...

Quote Originally Posted by A.Stahl View Post
    Did you kill the "boss"?
    If you mean the multi-headed skeleton, then yes. He took 6 holy water arrows to down. Problem was it alerted all the other beasts, so I should've killed them first. An unalerted invisible beast took 2 overheard swings to kill. If they were already alerted, it took 4-5. I didn't kill them first bc I wanted to see if they could be ghosted. They could, but there are 3 of them downstairs and they see you quite easily. In order to get the optional objective for ghost you might need to just make an invisibility potion first and then pass the skeleton and beasts directly after taking the idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha1 View Post
    thieves disguising as undeads. I totally fell for that trap and killed the first guy with my sword instead of just blackjacking him. The disguise costed him his life
    I did exactly the same thing! I whacked him with the sword and then failed the mission. The masks and the phonograph playing haunt sounds out into the courtyard was ingenious. So many clever story elements surrounding the thieves I thought. Very creative.

Edit: I managed to light the fire at the hut at the end and get the third bonus objective! I even managed to relock the door in between switching items. There wasn't even 0.5 second after the objective chimed before the mission ended, but it is possible.
    Last edited by klatremus; 9th Jan 2021 at 12:07.

Well, it was great while it lasted. I got the "can't pick up the lockpicks" bug (lights up as frobbable, can't pick up). I had the latest T2Fix 1.27d and version 1.1 of the FM installed.
    I tried to load an older save, but nope. Running the game again didn't help, as expected.
    Someone here posted that they managed to pick it up after restarting the mission, but it sounds random, and it would be a bummer to go through it all again just to get hit by the same bug.
    @nicked, do you have any idea what might be causing this? Is a fix possible or should I not hold my breath?

I've no idea what's causing it I'm afraid - it never came up during testing. If you have a savegame you could send me, I can take a look.

Sure, sent you a PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast