TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 1 Million Units Contest - The Turning of the Leaves (Jan 1, 2021)

Where is Bloodroot exactly?

Search the temple.

How are you supposed to deal with the traps in the temple? Only way I seem to be able to make it through is by chugging a healing potion while sprinting to the exit.

There's a second bloodroot in the cellar of the hut near the start.

Also, the best way I found to deal with the trap at the end of the temple was to pull a pair of levers on the pillars before stealing the idol.

I think you'll find that, if you wait long enough, the bloodroot will regrow like the flowers and mushrooms do.

There are three locations for Bloodroot: collapsed doorway in pool room of temple, ceiling of the cellar under the hut where you find your weapons, and a hole in the ceiling of the cave near the waterfall.

The idol can be got without any damage or alerting anyone - there are two levers on the sides of the pillars next to it which will stop the traps from firing, and you can use holy water on the floor sigil to prevent the skeleton dude spawning.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    I haven't read any comments above as I don't want to spoil myself, but have others noticed the victrola in the entrance lobby of the thieves hideout? It's facing a hole in the wall and is playing recorded undead noises to the outside world as an extra concealment decoy, what a classy touch that is.
    This along with some other remarkable details like uncovering thieves' zombie faces made this part of the mission my favourite one despite making my computer lag.
    At first I thought I will not complete this one- the enemies in the temple proved too much for me as I didn't have any potions. But I forced my self to visit the chamber again and this time I have barely managed to get out alive from the temple.. Missed 4 secrets and a roughly 800 loot. Well done for fantastic job (to the author!).

Ive just replayed this mission (definitely my top favourite of the contest missions!). This time with all the secrets (thanks cheela! ) and the 3 bonus objectives.

But I think I found a mistake in the german translation (not sure if its supposed to be):

For the wolf bomb according to the german translation you need holy water, bloodroot and a mine socket. But you also need to add a healing potion to this and the healing potion is missing in the german translation.

That has been fixed, but you would need to redownload the mission file.

I'm also looking into the bug with lockpicks not being able to be frobbed. It seems that a servant AI that is supposed to be in a blue room can somehow end up in the level proper - if he is then incapacitated, he can't do the conversation that gives you your lockpicks. If anyone is having this problem, please feel free to send me your savegame and I can do a temporary fix for now while I continue to investigate.

Finished! I somehow got all secrets and was missing over 700 loot, huh.
    Fantastic stuff overall, makes me glad I didn't sleep on this contest. I think the other posts summed up the good points nicely. A couple of things:
    - I had more FPS problems with this mission than any other ones, I think. The starting area and some other forest paths were the worst. Definitely playable, just choppy from time to time.
    - The use key throws all the crafting plants from your inventory, while the drop key just drops one - took me a moment to notice that the machine ate all my shrooms instead of just one. Very minor point, but it's needlessly confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pemptus View Post
    - The use key throws all the crafting plants from your inventory, while the drop key just drops one - took me a moment to notice that the machine ate all my shrooms instead of just one. Very minor point, but it's needlessly confusing.
    That's a bug - should be fixed when I get another patch out.

FPS problems are probably just because there's so many alpha textures for leaves; it's likely to struggle on some hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    That's a bug - should be fixed when I get another patch out.

FPS problems are probably just because there's so many alpha textures for leaves; it's likely to struggle on some hardware.
    I only had framerate slowdowns late in the mission, so in my case I don't think it was anything in the environment or my hardware. I had no problem with the same environments earlier in my playthrough, but the longer I played the worse it got. My one guess: Like some others, I was tossing instead of dropping flowers into the machine before I started using the drop key. Could the accumulation of all those objects in the level cause a slowdown elsewhere in the level? Unfortunately I was doing a blind ironman playthrough, so I don't have an earlier save to test this theory...

I loved your mission, btw, and I plan to replay it, this time letting myself Save. I skipped the optional objective because the mission was bigger/longer than I anticipated and at that stage of a blind ironman playthrough on expert, I was too afraid to die. I also concur with others on the one bonus objective: It'd be nice if you somehow gave us time to complete the fire objective if we've completed all other objectives already. I had it figured it out and I felt a little disappointed when the mission abruptly ended as I entered the hut.

At first, I was a little skeptical about a large organic environment rendered in Dark, but I grew to love the lush, dark soaking green forest. It gives this mission a very unique flavor. I also really loved the way you implemented the automap; it could only work with certain kinds of layouts, but I'd love to see that implemented in other missions.

Here is a patched version 1.2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14Lz...ew?usp=sharing

This fixes the bug where you can throw a whole stack of flowers and lose all but one, and hopefully fixes the bug some people were having with the lockpicks not being able to be picked up. If anyone still gets that bug on this version, please let me know. Thanks!

Updated the OP with this new version.

Thanks skacky!

The mission is beautiful, but i have to wait for a walktrough, for more than an hour im running in circles playing on "normal" difficult, im completely clueless of what i need to do and have only completed 2 goals (loot/ weapons).

I was in a sort-of similar position (2/7 secrets on Normal) and found what I needed thanks to posts by Cheela and Brethren. I now have all secrets and am 55 loot short of total. Think I'll have to wait for a loot-list to find it.

Edit: You may not need the 2nd post I mentioned as I see nicked has issued patch 1.2 (so you may already be playing that newer version of the mission).

Hopefully you know this but just in case. The map expands as you explore. And in my case I knocked out the two thieves at the start and used them and their lanterns as 4 markers so I could find my way back to the hut. Theres a place on the map marked as old stableyard. You need to get in there. Hint: To do that it helps if you find a pair of bolt-cutters Hint: Search a cabin (further South).
    Last edited by Aged Raver; 16th Jan 2021 at 11:55.

Another excellent mission from nicked. Thanks so much for the entertainment.

I especially liked the bandit gang's Scooby-Doo tactics to thwart potential trespassers using a soundtrack and zombie masks. An excellent touch.

Download link at top still for v. 1.1

(I could swear I posted this already, not sure where it went)

The download link at the top of the contest thread is still for v. 1.1 So I had to replay version 1.2 after reaching the broken lockpicks

Luckily it's a great mission. One of my favourites from this contest for sure Very inventive areas and I particularly liked the weather and inside/outside ambience.

Excellent mission with original ideas, thank you very much Nicked.
    Is there a use for the nail in the locked hut?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345