TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1 Million Units Contest - The Turning of the Leaves (Jan 1, 2021)

1 Million Units Contest - The Turning of the Leaves (Jan 1, 2021)

This thread is for any discussion or questions related to the mission The Turning of the Leaves by nicked.
    You can download the mission HERE or HERE.
    The contest thread is HERE.

Please give clues instead of outright solutions when helping others and use the spoiler tag when you do this.

Remember that this mission is for THIEF 2!
    Last edited by skacky; 14th Jan 2021 at 06:16. Reason: Updated main link to 1.2

Just a word of advice as it happened to me, make a save before you use a wand you can pick up at one point. Using it the first time crashed Thief 2 for me, but using it afterwards after reloading was fine. May be a very rare bug.

Where can I find the sample of bloodroot? It isn't just a conventional flower like others, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by A.Stahl View Post
    Where can I find the sample of bloodroot? It isn't just a conventional flower like others, isn't it?
    After you get lockpicks, enter the temple and look to your right. There are tree roots bursting through the wall with bloodroot attached.

I finished the mission (good stuff, I'm always a sucker for fantasy swamps), but still dont know how are you supposed to use wolfsbane bomb.

I am having a blast exploring this mission thoroughly, appreciate the word of advice but never had any crashing issues when using the wand, as for wolfsbane bomb that is the only thing left for me to figure out and my guess is you just need to know where to drop or throw it at since some effects plays up when doing either method, I thought maybe using it on a certain individual would trigger something but so far nothing.

So much to explore and see if you take your time go through slowly.

-edit- I saved the firewood and firestarter to last after completing all objectives, was this a mistake on my end?
    Since mission ends before given any chance to use them.

-edit2- I did a second playthrough just to see what would trigger and nice, so there are two bonuses to be found so far.
    Last edited by Ghostly; 1st Jan 2021 at 21:17.

mission complete 3980/4710 loot,"4/7 secrets","bonus mapped out this part of the forest" ,can you use flowers you find throughout mission and where?

for sure this is best mission from contest from the 5 i played so far,thief gold mission a solid second,as for third will wait to see if more missions come out as my view might change

amazing job nicked,ran a tiny bit slow on my system but still playable

I cant pickup the lockpicks What am i doing wrong?

zaratul i read paper behind them and i was able to frob them

Hint for downwinder - Yes, you can use the flowers in a secret* room in thieves hideout, it should be rather obvious once you see it, surprised you missed out on this detail.
    Last edited by Ghostly; 2nd Jan 2021 at 01:15. Reason: To avoid direct spoiling.

Well, it took almost 2 hours to complete (50% of this time I was navigating the swamp. It wasn't that difficult and there is a very nice map, but somehow it isn't very helpful).

We have subtitles. Really! Too rare virtue in our days. But a very welcome one.
    Very diverse mission. From a swamp forest to a little industrial spot.
    Texts are readable without facepalm. You know how some authors just write completely impossible texts in their missions like "Where did I put my key? Ah, I had it at dinner in the dining room. Will go find it tomorrow."
    A little nudity is also a too rare guest in missions.
    I haven't seen any bugs. And I was looking for them. This contest is somehow very bug-free overall. I suppose it is the result of small volume and a shortage of time: so only experienced mapmakers have participated.

ty ghosty i found it 6/7 secrets a bit over 4k loot

Subtitles can detract from the immersion being one reason you don't see this and nudity is kinda niche, only in the rarest of scenes it makes sense and at no point during this mission was there any, why it is very rare and often needless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
    Subtitles can detract from the immersion
    Not understanding what they are talking about can "detract from the immersion" even more

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
    nudity is kinda niche, only in the rarest of scenes it makes sense and at no point during this mission was there any
    Are you sure that you finished this mission? All of the mission?

tried on a couple and it looks like padlocked chests can't be opened or frobbed even after clipping off the lock with the bolt cutters maybe a gen.osm problem on my end or something? i've got multiple of said file, one more recent and a larger filesize but neither affected it

FYI, the chests worked fine for me, once I used the bolt cutter.

Regarding the Wolfsbane bomb, I tried dropping it (several times) on the guy in the cabin who alludes to being a werewolf, but never got any kind of confirmation I was doing the right thing. I assumed it would be a bonus objective.

Edit: scratch that, I did find the correct person to use the bomb on.

I'm also stuck in the temple. I lit the braziers with the wand, and pulled the bone handle thing by the hanging arms, but nothing seems to have happened.
    Last edited by Brethren; 2nd Jan 2021 at 03:10.

brethren there are 2 bone handles you have to push in,then a door opens on lowest level

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    zaratul i read paper behind them and i was able to frob them
    Can't grab lockpicks either. I read the paper behind them and still won't frob. Applied TFix 1.27d just in case my scripts were outdated, still no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by irg View Post
    tried on a couple and it looks like padlocked chests can't be opened or frobbed even after clipping off the lock with the bolt cutters maybe a gen.osm problem on my end or something? i've got multiple of said file, one more recent and a larger filesize but neither affected it
    Same problem here. Can't open chests. They remain unfrobable after using the bolt cutter.

Sounds like there's some kind of script problem going on. I may have forgotten to bundle the scripts in the mission zip, so if you're missing tnhscript or nvscript, I would expect loads of stuff to break. Will have a look when I get home

@nicked - I've not had problem with chests and bolt cutters - all opened afterwards no issue. The only problem I have had was in the temple after grabbing the artefact and the "blood attack" starts - crashed to desktop a couple of times before I made it out - but I do have an old POS computer. Otherwise, fabulous mission - thoroughly enjoying it and all the areas to explore.

Mission beaten in almost 1,5 hour, missed 400 loot and found only 5 secrets and bonus objective. Out of 5 contest missions, this one is my favorite. It's really amazing mission with great atmosphere. I'm a sucker for rain, especially heard in cabin. Mission looks great, there is a lot of detail and a lot of places to explore. Map looks good and there is even automap, but blue color showing our position on it is barely visible. Another nitpick is idea to force fog through fm.cfg. Most players plays with fog by default. Players that doesn't play with fog, like me, will immediately edit fm.cfg to disable it. So I really have no idea what's the point of forcing fog.

There is few things I didn't understand. First is about flowers and mushrooms. I can find many types of them and they respawn, but I can only throw them. I thought that maybe they are used to brew some potion, but looks like they are completely useless.

Second thing is about firewood and flint and steel items. I can use firewood in escape cabin, but using flint and steel on firewood doesn't work. Furthermore, you don't even need to use firewood in the first place, Mission ends right after entering cabin. Is it a bug or there is different item to use on firewood and flint is used for something else?

If you're having problems with frobbing items, please download this new version which contains the custom scripts I used (rookie error when packaging the mission!):

Version 1.1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pGC...ew?usp=sharing

Edit: Please note, this will require a restart, it won't fix already-broken saves I'm afraid.
    Last edited by nicked; 2nd Jan 2021 at 12:13.

The fireplace in the hut is a completely optional bonus. There are three items required to light the fire. If you've completed everything else, you can only do it if you're very, very fast and complete it before the mission ends.

The fainter map colours are intentional (I deliberately removed the "visited" colour so that the map doesn't end up covered in ugly blotches).

The plants have a use, but only if you find a semi-secret room.

The temple traps should be a lot less crashy than they were in the first beta; sorry they're still potentially causing problems. You can turn them off so you never trigger them though.
    Last edited by nicked; 2nd Jan 2021 at 07:27.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    The fireplace in the hut is a completely optional bonus. There are three items required to light the fire. If you've completed everything else, you can only do it if you're very, very fast and complete it before the mission ends.
    Could you tell me please which is the third ingredient for fireplace? I have logs and flint+steel.
    I wonder how the fireplace can be lit... technically impossible. There is simply no time to use even the second ingredient, but all the three...

Mission completed, all secrets but loot only 4475/4710 + a bonus objective. Loved the mood of this mission, the sounds of nature as well.

Edit: Some of you have mentioned werewolves and wolfsbane bomb - I have not found any reference in the game, could you please give a hint? Played on expert. -.. okay never mind i figured it out

what is the "funkenkristall" = sparkling crystall?? for? thank you
    Last edited by Cheela; 2nd Jan 2021 at 11:15. Reason: adding questions

I must have missed something very obvious since I can't find the wand. I have completed all the other objectives except
    spoiler:
    the bonus one and can't open the metal gate that blocks my way to the ritual room.

Any hints would be much appreciated.

Well, of course I found it right after asking. Somehow managed to miss that room.
    Last edited by Lord Taffer; 2nd Jan 2021 at 11:30.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast