TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 Million Units Contest - Nightwalk (Jan 8, 2021)

1 Million Units Contest - Nightwalk (Jan 8, 2021)

This thread is for any discussion or questions related to the mission Nightwalk by Pookaball.
    You can download the mission HERE or HERE.
    The contest thread is HERE.

Please give clues instead of outright solutions when helping others and use the spoiler tag when you do this.

Remember that this mission is for THIEF GOLD!
    Last edited by Brethren; 9th Jan 2021 at 11:55.

Nice little mission. Thanks

Show off!

I agree it was a nice little mission, kind of really basic small town mission FM that was the staple diet of TTLG in the early years. Can't make up my mind if this was a newbie author or someone a lot more experienced, it could easily have been a first mission but it's well made with someone with an eye for good old skool mission design, it's almost bug free and could have been a greater challenge on expert difficulty.

Whoever you are Pookaball, Thank you.
    Last edited by fortuni; 8th Jan 2021 at 14:11.

Is anyone able to play this mission on a difficulty level other than Expert? Whatever I select, it always defaults back to Expert.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Is anyone able to play this mission on a difficulty level other than Expert? Whatever I select, it always defaults back to Expert.
    Didn't notice this one, but you are right. Guess, you will need to do your ironman run on Expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    Didn't notice this one, but you are right. Guess, you will need to do your ironman run on Expert.
    That was easy: Finished an ironman run on Expert in 19 minutes with 2487 / 2973 loot.

Elements I liked:
    • Straightward City district burglary without any annoying or frustrating elements.
    • Opportunities to climb up and enter buildings via other entrances than the door on the ground floor.
    • No game-breaking bugs.

Elements that could be improved:
    • The mission offers almost no challenge. All guards are very easy to dispatch.
    • No secrets.
    • No journals.
    • At the end, I had 14 water arrows. Never had to use a single one.
    • All buildings are placed on the same flat surface. This is visually boring.
    • Awkward hard cuts in ambient music when you step over an invisible line. Can happen even when you lean sideways.
    • The formatting of the mission info file is broken when I open the file on the standard Windows Notepad.
    • In the mission info file, I think the handles of two playtesters are misspelled: "Sjekven" and "Darkmax".

Bugs:
    • The mission always defaults to Expert diifficult, regardless of what the player selects.
    • When I picked up a particular plate, it was placed in my inventory. I don't think it can be used anywhere in the mission.

@: In Thief 1 there is no secrets. This function has been implemented in Thief 2. Sometimes some FM creator will implement that, but it's very rarely happening. As for plate bug - it's not a bug. In Thief 1 white plates will go to inventory. That's normal. What's the point of this? I don't know. But that's how it works.

Hey, I accidentally locked the difficulty, I've sent a fix to Brethren, he might reupload the map soon

nice mission i enjoyed it

@Username: In Thief 1 there is no secrets. This function has been implemented in Thief 2. Sometimes some FM creator will implement that, but it's very rarely happening.
    I was thinking of secret caches or areas, not necessarily the secrets counter in the stats screen.

As for plate bug - it's not a bug. In Thief 1 white plates will go to inventory. That's normal. What's the point of this? I don't know. But that's how it works.
    I would assume authors can change the object properties in DromEd to correct this, no?

The download link is broken

Fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Fixed it.
    Thank you!

Playing version 1.1, I noticed Normal difficulty only has a loot objective (steal 800) and nothing else. So, inevitably, the mission was over in less than 10 minutes, and I only managed to grab 1024 loot before the "Mission Complete" screen appeared. At the very least, Normal difficulty should've included an "escape/return to start" objective like on Hard and Expert, if only so that players can still explore the entire level and try to collect everything without the mission prematurely ending. As it is, I'll reload my save and finish my explorations, but I'll have to skip the rest of the loot to do so.

(For the record, I always play a new mission on Normal first, then replay on Hard and Expert later so I can appreciate the differences, if any, between the difficulty levels).

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmauden View Post
    Playing version 1.1, I noticed Normal difficulty only has a loot objective (steal 800) and nothing else. So, inevitably, the mission was over in less than 10 minutes, and I only managed to grab 1024 loot before the "Mission Complete" screen appeared. At the very least, Normal difficulty should've included an "escape/return to start" objective like on Hard and Expert, if only so that players can still explore the entire level and try to collect everything without the mission prematurely ending. As it is, I'll reload my save and finish my explorations, but I'll have to skip the rest of the loot to do so.

(For the record, I always play a new mission on Normal first, then replay on Hard and Expert later so I can appreciate the differences, if any, between the difficulty levels).
    Thanks for your input, I believe it's too late to change that stuff now, but I'll remember that for my next mission. When I was making this mission I had a sort of tunnel-vision for the objective (and other things maybe too) and I just had to do it like LGS did. funnily enough, the missions ending in Thief TDP/Gold on Normal without requiring you to leave the area were actually an annoying little pet peeve of mine. I remember that happening in Bafford's and Cragscleft... somewhere else probably too.
    Last edited by Just_Pooka; 9th Jan 2021 at 03:52.

Finished an ironman run on Expert in 19 minutes.

Elements I liked:
    • Opportunities to climb up and enter buildings via other entrances than the door on the ground floor.

Elements that could be improved:
    • The mission offers almost no challenge. All guards are very easy to dispatch.
    • No secrets.
    • No journals.
    • At the end, I had 14 water arrows. Never had to use a single one.
    • All buildings are placed on the same flat surface. This is visually boring.
    • Awkward hard cuts in ambient music when you step over an invisible line. Can happen even when you lean sideways.
    Hey thanks for playing!, I agree about the things you said I could have done differently. I couldn't come up with any interesting secret areas save for the recursive painting and the moneybox on the beam if that's what you're talking about. And I didn't have time for more creative stuff like funny drunk guards or interesting readables as this was a strictly level design exercise for me. I would love to make another fan-mission that would be more complete, and T2 would allow for secret and bonus objectives too. Regarding the flat street, I completely agree, and with the ambient music, the smooth transitions require some work and I was lazy. The leaning problem, however, isn't really linked to the smooth transition and required a different placing of my "outdoor wind" sound and the indoor sounds, but I already placed a sound with a big radius so maybe the ambient sound markers were clashing and taking priority over each other when you were moving just slightly.

Also it's very strange that you couldn't open the info file in the Windows Notepad because that's what I used to type it (I use Win10. didn't use any special coding formats to save the file).

I can open the mission info file, it just looks formatted incorrectly when I open it in Notepad: http://ge.tt/8iVfYDA3. There are uneven blank spaces.

Short, but sweet city mission with lots of loot beaten in 24 min and collected all loot. Normally FM creators are scared to put so many loot close to each other. That's why it's so enjoyable to gather it in this mission. Lots of possible entrances to buildings. Well, there is no readables, but it's not a problem. This is my favorite mission in 2nd wave of submissions too and 2nd favorite in the whole contest. Congratulations to author.

Congratulations Just_Pooka on releasing your first mission - and a good one too!
    It was a very refreshing experience to play a mission like this.
    My only "complaint" is similar to what others have already mentioned: there is little chance to explore the whole mission on normal. Appart from that: well done!

I can open the mission info file, it just looks formatted incorrectly when I open it in Notepad: http://ge.tt/8iVfYDA3. There are uneven blank spaces.
    I see. Didn't expect this to be a huge deal when I was putting it together.
    Also thanks a lot to Galaer and intruder for playing!

Good job for a first mission, Pookaball. It's simple but fun and definitely shows promise. Keep at it, hope to see more missions from you in the future!

Nice mission. I don't normally play on Expert so it was good for me and made me a bit more lively. I found 2114/2973 so plenty still to find. Thank you!

A nice, little mission - straightforward gameplay while adopting the original Thief feeling. I wondered about the excess of water arrows. Difficulty was very easy, finished it in less than 20 minutes.

A fun little mission. Simple but effective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast