TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: idea's for next fan mission contest,"one idea per person"

yeah, maybe downwinder you got the idea all wrong...as example in my suggestion, i named "builders paradise" as an example for a new / better (that's for everyone to decide) soulforge just from the level design. for the contest..old objectives, totally new enviroment, ways of achieving the objectives and as klatremus added earlier, new objectives if the author feels like it. and I already stated that I'm aware that something like this has been done already, but since that the Engine changed alot with NewDark so please look at FMs from back in the days and modern FMs now that use all the new options, it's a huge difference. I think we should finally have a contest that combines somehting original and celebrates the possibilites authors have today. and what is better than challenging authors to recreate the original missions and take full advantage of ND

this would also give the possibility that authors can choose...which might fit all the different tastes in the community...I love my T2 style missions, others want to go back into the bonehoard...it's up to the creators which mission they recreate so there might be a Life of the Party and also a bonehoard
    Last edited by Supremcee; 17th Jan 2021 at 18:04.

OK new idea guys. "The Punishment of Dewdrop" contest. See who can devise the most devilish fate for Dewdrop.

Grind her up in mechanist gears, slowly roll her through fire on a conveyor belt, have her torn apart by treebeasts....

Quote Originally Posted by Krush View Post
    OK new idea guys. "The Punishment of Dewdrop" contest. See who can devise the most devilish fate for Dewdrop.

Grind her up in mechanist gears, slowly roll her through fire on a conveyor belt, have her torn apart by treebeasts....
    Dewdrop approves this message.

What about a multiplayer map contest? I have not heard about a single mission designed for cooperative multiplayer gameplay yet. I think it could add some novelty to the contest idea, as let's an objective would be to design a map for two players. Ideally it should not be possible to complete the mission in a single player mode (e.g. two switches need to be frobbed at the same time to open a gate or trigger an event etc. ) Or simply the map would have to offer interesting challenges involving two players.

I know there are some limitations to MP mode, but maybe if a map is designed with these limitations in mind, they could be worked around?

Quote Originally Posted by Krush View Post

If this doesn't end as a contest I want this to become a trend for future FMs: make Dewdrop impaled, burning in a fire or at least impossible to be picked up.

That's the ticket: a Drop the Dew contest, spelling variants accepted!

Just funnin' of course, wouldn't want to make Lady R cross since she liked the little guy/gal/whatever.

disreguard all negitive talk about dewdrop

i think my thief 4 idea or the pre thief 1 idea is good and not one reply about it

but yeah i had wrong idea about om's so sorry about that

Quote Originally Posted by uncadonego View Post
    If there is a theme chosen, how about leaving it as a one word suggestion, without elaboration? That way authors have a tether but not much of one and we can see where they take it.

For example:

What if the theme were ESCAPE.

That's it, no questions, just go.

So one author might make a jailbreak mission, another might make an "Ambush" style mission, one might make a drug themed mission, one might make Garrett go on a vacation in a beautiful location where no one expects his shenanigans, one author might make Garrett rescue someone, etc., etc.

We could even make a list of one word suggestions, and do a poll on the favourite one.

We could call it the "One Word Contest".
    Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    i like the one word idea as "daylight" fits into the one word theme

i just had this amazing idea based on one word theme,what if there were say a list of 20 words for themes,and the author can pick 3,for example could be "daylight" "escape" "caves"

so mission would be in daylight ,escape with caves,then there is variety and options for author to pick the multi theme of there choice

what do you all think? kinda like a mad lib but author can pick the 3 words they want,making it varied in missions that are released
    I quite like these two ideas

disreguard all negitive talk about dewdrop

i think my thief 4 idea or the pre thief 1 idea is good and not one reply about it

but yeah i had wrong idea about om's so sorry about that
    I think everybody thinks his own idea is quite good
    Thief Podcast - Inside at Last Megathread >>> https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149898

since so many good idea's why not just have a contest where anything goes so the people who will be making fan missions can do what they want

i would only ask the fan mission makers to please try to make it so the missions can run on a low end pc

variety is the "spice" of life

since so many good idea's why not just have a contest where anything goes so the people who will be making fan missions can do what they want

i would only ask the fan mission makers to please try to make it so the missions can run on a low end pc

variety is the "spice" of life
    as I said before...why do we always limit the authors tech wise now where we have better tech than ever?! just maybe some people have slow pcs...let authors use all the ressources thate we have

I mean technology evolves...nobody tells game devs to create games that run on windows xp and hardware from that time (and yes I'm aware that it's an engine problem/limit whatever you wanna call it, that it runs slow one some specs that generally could handle more)
    Last edited by Supremcee; 18th Jan 2021 at 16:28.

i think for me personally its all those high end items people use in missions that make a handful of missions unplayable on my system,and to be honest it does not make for a better mission in my view,what is great in a mission is map design,great objective's,skybox,storyline,multipaths/etc

DromEd Archmage
    Can we go back on topic? I don't think we were talking about Free Maps Commissions for someone's gear and taste.

Authors are free to make their map the way they want and contests exist to send a creative impulse with a fun restrictions/themes for those looking for a challenge in their creativity or to fill a gap in mission variety and should be affordable to all contestants so experts and beginners could both join to show what they got.

Also...since you were mentionning things already done...
    i like the one word idea as "daylight" fits into the one word theme

i just had this amazing idea based on one word theme,what if there were say a list of 20 words for themes,and the author can pick 3,for example could be "daylight" "escape" "caves"

so mission would be in daylight ,escape with caves,then there is variety and options for author to pick the multi theme of there choice

what do you all think? kinda like a mad lib but author can pick the 3 words they want,making it varied in missions that are released
    This idea you've submitted is unfortunately not yours since such a contest already existed and was called the "word contest challenge" and I was the organizer of it. I would not be against giving it another try though but for now, I would say I'm more hyped by Supremcee's idea.

Revisiting OMs with a "what if the mission was actually made by fans" is appealing.

Same about the one from Squada about making a T2 level with TG style or the opposite. It's challenging, refreshing and new.

Even if I am also open to themed contest like suggested by uncadonego, bbb or the idea about daylight mission or anything, as long as it's challenging and that anyone could join.

About the real place by Brethren.. well, I know this could be an impressive contest but I fear it would be a bit too hard or restrictive even if I get it's just the architecture which will have to be respected and won't restrict the place around nor the plot, the difficulty would still be very high and worst if someone choose a real place that only a few knows...

it wasent my idea i just expanded off someone elses idea

my idea is one very first post of topic

let the people who are going to make the missions decide what they wants so we get more authors interested in making fan missions,having a idea that a lot of authors are not interested in will be good for only the few who like the idea

what ever comes to be with contest i am 100% happy as we all get fan missions in the end

be sure to add "dewdrop" into missions :P

How about a spooky/haunted contest. Best atmosphere fueled story wins.

I would like to see a contest focusing on "best" gameplay or something similar.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123