TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: name one thing in om's story line/etc you wish would have been expanded on more

name one thing in om's story line/etc you wish would have been expanded on more

for me i would love to know more about the golden child,was he the next phase in bots?,from what i read there was nothing about him in text's at all?

name something from t1/g,2 you wish would have been expanded upon in story line/etc

also if there was another thief made would you rather see a pre thief 1 or a post thief 3 for story line view point,once you pick one,tell me why you picked the one you did

for my choice i would pick post thief 3 with flash backs of pre thief 1,i want the best of both :P to know what happens in the city post thief 3 while,having flash backs of pre thief 1 to have more of an idea about if the keeper books truly have it all written before hand in the pre thief 1 and since end of thief 3 all keeper books were erased what will happen now,since it is all unwritten
    Last edited by downwinder; 25th Jan 2021 at 17:17.

I always thought the final glyph erasing the power of glyphs could be explored a bit

I did a rough storyline for a post Thief 3 campaign once got nowhere with making it tho

Garret finds that the final glyph not only erased the power of glyphs it also destroyed the written word, no one can read any more, even those that can write can't read what they've written

Basic unintended consequence stuff

Banks can't tell who's gold is who's
    A lot of wimpy people find themselves on the street or dead as they can't prove they're lords any more and big beefy buggers with swords have moved in to their old homes
    Possession becomes ten tenths of the law, if you can keep it it's yours
    And finally it turns out that the monsters from the maw were held back by magic written deep in the earth & that too has gone
    So now it's up to a handful of mages/keepers to keep them contained because they remember the spells, they can't pass them on as they're unpronounceable & casting them is physically exhausting so they're dying off
    Once they're gone everyone else meets the maw monsters for apocalypse time

Our hero can only save the day by restoring the power of glyphs with the prime glyph, the first one

Does our hero want to strap on his big boy pants & save the world one more time ?

Does he taff!

But he's the only one who can

If anyone thinks they can make anything halfway decent out of that you're welcome to it, I've got more detail in a drawer somewhere I can send it to you

The one thing I remember being most fascinated by in the first playthrough was that weird symbol in a hidden backroom upstairs of Running Interference (we now know it was just the mapper's own personal symbol he liked to put in maps he made), but then it was replaced by a Mechanist symbol in a patch and just suddenly didn't exist anymore. So that cleared that up. =V

esme,i think you maybe could use the merlocks as they predate thief storyline,and we only saw a small part of there area

demgogue where in running interference is this symbol,is there a pic of it, i cant remember if i seen it

the only back-story i would have liked to have seen was how Karras come to create the mechanical eye of Garret, and why the sensor eyes of the mechanists weren't as good as the one that Garret had.

More on the Book of Ash, its history and lore

lordhern only thing about karras i know is ,he was a hammer when he created the eye for garrett

azaran what is known about book of ash so far? what games was in it?,is there a picture of the book?

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    demgogue where in running interference is this symbol,is there a pic of it, i cant remember if i seen it
    It's been a long time, but IIRC it's upstairs somewhere (as in, not in the basement), and you have to move some boxes to see to the little tunnel to it.
    This is it:

Edit: The name of the image file tells us that the mystery dev was Rich "zdim" Carlson, who was a touch-up guy for this OM, and I'm certain there was a thread or a few of them, at TTLG or other forums, that's talked about this symbol before. He's dropped it into other levels he's made for other games. And IIRC he originally made it for a D&D module when he was growing up.

When the rest of the team found out about it post-release, I think they didn't like the idea of a single dev sneaking something in without the others knowing. But evidently they did like the idea of this hidden room with a symbol and put the mechanist symbol in that spot, which I think was the right call. Still a cool story & easter egg though, up there with the dancing zombies in Framed.
    Last edited by demagogue; 27th Jan 2021 at 04:43.

I think the symbol was actually Aardvark's* doing:
    https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...723#post920723

*) Aardvark moderated TTLG's General Gaming for years roundabout 2000

Er, yes, because Aardvark is Rich Carlson.
    (Compare the post you just linked to with his profile.)

Edit: Or, you know, just go to Aardvark's profile page on this site, under "About Me / signature" and there's a link to Rich Carlson's blog. XD
    Last edited by demagogue; 27th Jan 2021 at 09:06.

looks like a menorah,and yes i do remember it,i got original thief disk still so i still have it if i want to install in vanilla

How the justice system works. Do the Hammers just run their own legal system independently of the City Watch?

For example, if you are caught stealing by a Hammer you go to Cragscleft, if a City Watch then you will serve your term in Pavelock?

What if you are caught by both a Hammer and a guard simultaneously? Who has juristiction?

On another note, why does using his mechanical eye improve Garrett's hearing?

And surely in that sort of social era they wouldn't employ women as guards and City Watch? Of course in a fictional universe they can have an ostensibly medieval people who also believe in equal employment rights for women, but T1 didn't have this. Wonder where the sudden bout of equality came from.

Affirmative action by Sheriff Truart. For reference, read Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    When the rest of the team found out about it post-release, I think they didn't like the idea of a single dev sneaking something in without the others knowing
    lol i'm surprised lgs would care that much about someone sneaking a signature into their map, that's something a lot of level designers were doing even in the late 90s. says a lot about their later careers..

I wish the dev signage would've stayed. It's a fun find in games to discover little "Kilroy Was Here" moments like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    How the justice system works. Do the Hammers just run their own legal system independently of the City Watch?

For example, if you are caught stealing by a Hammer you go to Cragscleft, if a City Watch then you will serve your term in Pavelock?

What if you are caught by both a Hammer and a guard simultaneously? Who has juristiction?
    On another note, why does using his mechanical eye improve Garrett's hearing?

And surely in that sort of social era they wouldn't employ women as guards and City Watch? Of course in a fictional universe they can have an ostensibly medieval people who also believe in equal employment rights for women, but T1 didn't have this. Wonder where the sudden bout of equality came from.
    I too would've liked to see this elaborated on. Were the Hammerites the chief source of justice in the city, and the rise of the Mechanists came with a shift to regular civilians taking over judicial duties from the Hammers? Was it because the Hammers were starting to lack in number between Mechanist conversions and people not interested in the order in general?

I can't help but wonder if there's a little speaker mechanism in the eye that amplifies sound, or some sort of system connected between the ear and the eye that was implanted. It's steampunk and it's Mechanist work, so I can see it happening.

On an aside note, I'd love to learn more about what happened to the Maw and the Pagan leadership post-Viktoria. Seeing more of the Pagans and their lives outside of the city would've also been great, as well as anything involving the war with Blackbrook.

I think I'd have liked to know more abut the Cataclysm that made the dead so restless.

i also want to know more about the "barron" it seems he once ruled the old city,but barley is ever mentioned

The nature of the intelligence behind the Mechanist robots, how the servants are controlled, and the Mechanist Heresy Trials mentioned in Thief 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Affirmative action by Sheriff Truart. For reference, read Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett.
    And also by Karras. But then they went back to "normal" for T3. Or at least I can remember only male guards and watch there. And also in T2014. Seems like T2 is the only one where they discovered political correctness

And also by Karras. But then they went back to "normal" for T3. Or at least I can remember only male guards and watch there. And also in T2014. Seems like T2 is the only one where they discovered political correctness
    My personal belief is that the Hammerites pushed back with a vengeance against the thought of women in religious orders and the City Watch. I can see them painting the idea of gender inclusivity as a wholly Mechanist idea, and thus something to be avoided.

Another detail I'd like to see explored is if the Keepers have any links to the Lost City. There's a mention of a "Keeper of the Keys" in one readable, and another that mentions a great library being moved elsewhere during Karath-Din's fall. I can't help but wonder if that's worldbuilding filler or something larger at play here.

These two mentions refer to completely different people who lived before and during the Karath Din cataclysm. There's no relation to the Keeper organization at all.

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    These two mentions refer to completely different people who lived before and during the Karath Din cataclysm. There's no relation to the Keeper organization at all.
    I probably missed a readable somewhere in my last playthrough, or my memory's shoddy. I should boot The Lost City back up again for a rerun so I can remember these details.

I can see why this is confusing, considering there are four journals written by members of a Keeper expedition sent to Karath Din but every other readable in this mission dates back from when the Precursors lived in the city (including the two you're referring to), which was centuries or even perhaps millennia ago. How Garrett can read them perfectly is a mystery but hey, it's a game after all.

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    I can see why this is confusing, considering there are four journals written by members of a Keeper expedition sent to Karath Din but every other readable in this mission dates back from when the Precursors lived in the city (including the two you're referring to), which was centuries or even perhaps millennia ago. How Garrett can read them perfectly is a mystery but hey, it's a game after all.
    That's another thing I wanted to see delved into: do Keepers (and ex-Keepers) have some sort of inherent, gifted ability to read all languages? Was Garrett taught the Precursor language? Are Precursor hieroglyphs somehow related to Keeper Glyphs? As a matter of fact, why do Pagan markings and Keeper Glyphs look so similar sometimes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast