TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Win 7 vs. Win 10 movement

Win 7 vs. Win 10 movement

I recently started playing Thief on a new laptop running Win 10 64-bit, and I have noticed something peculiar. I can no longer do small crouch-walk/run steps without making noise on metal/marble/tile. In Win 7 I was able to hold run while crouching for about 0.5 second without making any noise, and could repeat this to travel fairly quickly along loud stretches without getting noticed. In Win 10 the instant I press run/walk while crouching, Garrett makes a clunk. All my settings between the two installs are identical. I know this because I simply copied the entire folder directly over to Win 10. Has anyone else experienced this? The effect is the same in Thief 1 and Thief 2 for both operating systems.

I've been playing Thief on Win 10 for a while now and never experienced this.

So, if I understand correctly - the instant noise makes you easily detectable by guards? If so, then I'd say it's the improved security measures in Windows 10 compared to Win 7. It's not that easy to simply break in and steal stuff now, which makes sense.

(sorry, if that's not the answer you were looking for... )

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDot View Post
    I'd say it's the improved security measures in Windows 10 compared to Win 7.
    I knew Win10's version of Windows Defender was superior to Win7's, but didn't know it was that good.

klatremus, although I have not experienced the problem you have so far, maybe you can use a workaround, at least in Thief 2. If you want to sneak over metal floors, draw your sword and crouch, then use the sneak key to move forward. You should make no noise then even if you press and hold that key. Not a fast way to go, but a secure one, AFAIK.

I had the same issue using the laptop keyboard on my MSI laptop. I never had the problem on my old dell.

my solution was to use an external keyboard on the new hardware.

Although your comment wasn't very constructive PinkDot, it was quite amusing.

lordhern: that actually helped, but in the opposite way. You see I already use an external keyboard, and that was the issue. I disconnected it and tried using just the main keyboard and that worked perfectly! Then I reconnected the external one and now that works normally too. So weird. Well, thank you

I wonder if you shift key or "repeat" settings and/or caps-lock etc was loopy due to a second keyboard being attached. That is a bane for me as my gaming keyboard is a hard-wired qwerty board while my typing keyboard is hard-wired Dvorak board. I'm glad you aren't facing that now so you won't be blocked from another upload to youtube.

i use win 7 myself and 90% of the time i can walk on tile/metal/marble where i can go a bit with no noise,but on some maps it dont work but rare

the trick i use is go backward i can get amazing results,for example on a thresh hold to a door if metal/any noisey surface by going backward not a sound ever

try it and let me know using the tap and hold tech,repeat

The distance you can move between a standstill and your first footfall is very dependent on frame rate. The first place I'd look at are the things which would limit your frame rate, like vsync options in cam_ext.cfg and your video card control panel, the other frame rate limiting options in cam_ext.cfg like framerate_cap and SlowFrame, or any external frame limiters you might be using like RTSS or one built into your video drivers. Perhaps there's no change there, but maybe a new monitor with a different refresh rate? That can change your frame rate if vsync is on.

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    i use win 7 myself and 90% of the time i can walk on tile/metal/marble where i can go a bit with no noise,but on some maps it dont work but rare

the trick i use is go backward i can get amazing results,for example on a thresh hold to a door if metal/any noisey surface by going backward not a sound ever

try it and let me know using the tap and hold tech,repeat
    unbelievable ! I must try this today. I hope I don't knock over an expensive Chinese vase in the process.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T585 mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cheese, lol View Post
    The distance you can move between a standstill and your first footfall is very dependent on frame rate. The first place I'd look at are the things which would limit your frame rate, like vsync options in cam_ext.cfg and your video card control panel, the other frame rate limiting options in cam_ext.cfg like framerate_cap and SlowFrame, or any external frame limiters you might be using like RTSS or one built into your video drivers. Perhaps there's no change there, but maybe a new monitor with a different refresh rate? That can change your frame rate if vsync is on.

interesting - I altered my gaming setup to try different frame rates and limits and I can definitely see the effect on strafe running noise in Thief1/2 with 120Hz framerate vs 75Hz 60Hz and even 50Hz

Thanks for info.

Yes its definitely framerate related. If i look down and tap run forward while crouching, I can go a bit without making noise with my feet, but as soon as I look up I can no longer.

I don't encounter those issues on Win 10 and do almost everything crouching. Otoh, I haven't used Win 7 in a long time to compare on the same computer. I believe there were fairly significant changes in the graphics subsystem in Win 10, am not up on the details but maybe it affects these things. I have a pretty powerful desktop system though (Ryzen 3600, Radeon RX 5700, 32 GB RAM) on a 28" UHD monitor getting 60+fps in Thief, for me it's never looked or run so well in 20+ years.

That half-second or so thing gets me if I press too long, but usually I can move silently on tile/metal/etc in crouch-run almost gliding as long as I keep the timing right. If it's super demanding I'll use creep which has a longer time before making noise, haven't tried the backwards thing. Authors can adjust the parameters too I believe, which sometimes border on ridiculous but I can usually adjust accordingly. Just nailed L'Arsene & his two buddies last night when I grabbed the Heart of Molte after some major tile sneaking!

Interesting thesis, but canīt confirm it. I have W7 and W10 on my PC, and just tested it. Was perfectly able to crouch without making noise over the metal in Training, regardless of the OS.
    So I guess itīs just your new laptop.
    Last edited by Udo; 24th Mar 2021 at 09:13.

Hi Klatremus,

What Thief are you talking about? Thief 1 or 2?

I remember that playing Thief 1 on a notebook running Windows XP some keys couldn't be used and the graphics were almost green.

How will Thief run when simple copying the entire folder?

Thief 2. It's a framerate issue, not OS related. Never had those issues you are referring to.